Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is this a record?

• 23-06-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Today, 9am, stopped at traffic lights on th corner of Grand Canal and Ranelagh, heading eastwards.

I was one of 21 bikes stopped at my light. Didn't count bikes at other red light or the amount going through on the green.

The mild weather is bringing the fair-weather-cyclists out.

What's the biggest amount of bikes stopped at a light that anyone has noticed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

And they're just the cyclists who stopped at the lights!

Sorry ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I was one of 21 bikes stopped at my light.

:eek:

You should of taken a photo. I imagine its a number of combined factors. The cycle to work scheme, the weather, the Dublin rental scheme, traffic, other cyclists on the road and that having a snowball effect, it being the summer and people wanting to lose weight and show abit of skin. Im sure theres more reasons. Also with the Tour starting in July you'll notice an increase in roadies

7 is the most i've seen bunched up at a set of lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

is this cyclings version of the 'walking bus'
    were they all tied together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Ive noticed the same lately, i ended up in a "fixie crew" at lights coming down georges st this evening there were four of us among other cyclers(sic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dubstar2599

Today, 9am, stopped at traffic lights on th corner of Grand Canal and Ranelagh, heading eastwards.

I was one of 21 bikes stopped at my light. Didn't count bikes at other red light or the amount going through on the green.

The mild weather is bringing the fair-weather-cyclists out.

What's the biggest amount of bikes stopped at a light that anyone has noticed?
    Great to see-yes have noticed a huge increase in bikes around the place, counted 11 on quays the other day @ lights and thought that was pretty good going........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Did you count the people that don't stop or put their feet on the ground but skillfully and slowly/safely nudge past the traffic lights towards the uncoming traffic area by way of balancing? Iam one of those people:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Sounds like some kind of organic dublin commuter peloton... how many of them looked around and said 'this is too much like a cult I'm not doing this again'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Finding an empty Sheffield Stand around the city centre has got much more difficult. Which I presume is because cycling is way up. It's great news (apart from the difficulty parking sometimes, obviously).

Write-up of the Dublin Cycle Chic event here.

http://www.dublincycling.com/node/622

Nice to read, but I strongly disagree with the bit about off-road lanes being "proven" to be safer. Without very careful junction design, the balance of research is that they're less safe than just about any other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

I saw just about 30 stopped nearby at Leeson Bridge a couple of weeks ago. Might have been 28 or 29, I was a bit excited counting. Nine in the morning, all commuters. Popular route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Thats always a fairly busy junction but I dont think Ive ever seen that many. I love waiting at the back of the pack and when the lights go green speed past as many as possible before you meet the end of the traffic jam to leeson street

• Advertisement

Great to see-yes have noticed a huge increase in bikes around the place, counted 11 on quays the other day @ lights and thought that was pretty good going........
    Bit of imagination by the government, some bold decisions regarding cycle lanes and who knows where Dublin could end up, cycling really is the way to go......just counted guys that had stopped although rough count from Stoneybatter to Charlemont place last week was over 180 cyclists - in both directions (twas a rough count although I'd say was probably more!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The grand canal is always packed with cyclists with it getting busier at each bridge as you get closer to Baggot Street, then it petters off. I'm always in too minds about this, although it's great to see lots of cyclists do I either just slip in with the crowd and take it handy the rest of the way into the office, or do I race every single one of them from bridge to bridge. I usually can't help but do the latter, damn competitive streak.

Bit of imagination by the government, some bold decisions regarding cycle lanes and who knows where Dublin could end up

The only bold decision I'd like to see regarding cycle lanes is a decision to get rid of nearly all of them and replace then with wide kerb lanes.

Cyclist.ie has apparently spent a great deal of time trying to persuade local authorities and the government to stop thinking that cycle lanes magically make roads safe or attractive to cyclists (because they most certainly don't), and to concentrate on proper road design. There have been a few planning decisions lately which suggest that local authorities have gone straight back into building gutter-hugging 1-m wide crap that leaves you on the left of left-turning traffic. They just can't help themselves.
    , cycling really is the way to go......just counted guys that had stopped although rough count from Stoneybatter to Charlemont place last week was over 180 cyclists - in both directions (twas a rough count although I'd say was probably more!)

Fair play to you for counting! It is great to see more cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

117939.jpg

They say history repeats itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Is that Dame St?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

you sure its was the green party ministers and their entourage on the way to count a few bats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Is that Dame St?

Oxford 1955

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The only bold decision I'd like to see regarding cycle lanes is a decision to get rid of nearly all of them and replace then with wide kerb lanes.

Cyclist.ie has apparently spent a great deal of time trying to persuade local authorities and the government to stop thinking that cycle lanes magically make roads safe or attractive to cyclists (because they most certainly don't), and to concentrate on proper road design. There have been a few planning decisions lately which suggest that local authorities have gone straight back into building gutter-hugging 1-m wide crap that leaves you on the left of left-turning traffic. They just can't help themselves.

Fair play to you for counting! It is great to see more cyclists.

Just gotta keep lobbying............

Just gotta keep lobbying............
    But you've also got to consider what you're lobbying for. If you just lobby with the bare request "We want more cycle lanes", there's nothing to stop you ending up with this:

93919.JPG

Note how it's segregated (as far as it can be, given the number of side roads), off-road -- as most novices would think is best -- and also completely unusable. The only person who benefits from this is the motorist, who now at no stage has to give way to a cyclist. All burden of care has been shifted to the cyclist by a road modification that a naive lobbyist would think is making life easier and safer for cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

There seem to be several points in that photo where bus stops cut into the cycle path so that the only option is to kerb hop down onto the road or cycle on the footpath. Is it even possible to cycle from one end of that cycle path to the other legally? That's disgraceful, is it in Dublin?

It's Doughiska Road in Galway city. I've never cycled it, but its ludicrous shortcomings were pointed out when it was still on the drawing board (it probably was drawn in crayon). The Galway Cycling Campaign fought tooth and nail against it, but it was pushed through. All the GCC's objections were dismissed by the city authorities.

Anyway, it's a great example of why very strict standards of what is acceptable should be agreed upon between the Department of Transport and the cycling campaigns before any more cycle lanes are put down.

I understand that the new Cycle Facility Design manual is on the way. The draft I saw wasn't very promising.

Advertisement