Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hairspray hair extensions, any good?

• 23-06-2010 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hairspray have some excellent summer offers on hair extensions at the moment.
    Has anyone got theirs done there? What method did you get done and how did you find the hair? Is their hair good quality? Can it be re-used?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Laman

Be very careful, hair extensions can destroy your hair! I had them done a few yrs back and although I was told they will not affect my own hair (infact will improve it...dont ask me how?!) within a couple of weeks the damage was starting. I had opted for 20" extensions and there is alot of work to keeping them. The fact you can't use conditioning treatments (as it may soften the bonds) was not helping my own hair. Basically every 4 weeks you also need to get a maintenance done on them as some fall out and can look ratty.
    1 year later my long locks were now like an uneven bob! It took me a couple of years to get my hair back down my back again and I now buy the clip in hairspray extensions which are fab, they can be straightened or curled also!!
    €120 for the clip ins and well worth it. €750 back in the days before recession for a full head of extensions...which are now half the price, but is it because of the recession or because so many now opt for the clip in's after the horror stories of me and alot of others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Laman wrote: »
    Be very careful, hair extensions can destroy your hair! I had them done a few yrs back and although I was told they will not affect my own hair (infact will improve it...dont ask me how?!) within a couple of weeks the damage was starting. I had opted for 20" extensions and there is alot of work to keeping them. The fact you can't use conditioning treatments (as it may soften the bonds) was not helping my own hair. Basically every 4 weeks you also need to get a maintenance done on them as some fall out and can look ratty.

It sounds like you had an awful experience :(
    You actually can use conditioner, just not near the roots- only the middle and ends.
    Where did you get yours done? Was it in Hairspray?

Yeah it was in Hairspray...not that im giving out about hairspray but bonded extensions in general are harmful to your own hair. Where the hair is bonded really would need conditioner but obviously you can put it near there or the bonds will soften. Heat from the hairdryer can soften them aswell.

Trust me, buy the clip in's, they are the very same hair (spanish hair) as used for the bonded extensions and you will not damage your own hair

All the best!

Laman wrote: »
    Yeah it was in Hairspray...not that im giving out about hairspray but bonded extensions in general are harmful to your own hair. Where the hair is bonded really would need conditioner but obviously you can put it near there or the bonds will soften. Heat from the hairdryer can soften them aswell.

Trust me, buy the clip in's, they are the very same hair (spanish hair) as used for the bonded extensions and you will not damage your own hair

All the best!

I've had the clip-ins for about 3 years already and I want to try something else. There's very little you can do with clip-ins, unless you want to wear your hair down all the time.
    I am going for a consultation somewhere else on Saturday and will see how I get on. Really put off getting extensions at Hairspray now, thanks for your advice :)

No, dont let me put you off hairspray, in fairness they are the best out there when it comes to extensions, its just the extensions themselves that ruin hair. I know people who have had them in other places and all have the same damage.
    The hair itself at hairspray is really good, its spanish hair and doesnt get as ratty as other hair can

Best of luck and let me know how you get on! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Cherryfizz

I got extensions in Hairspray and they seemed to be the best out there which the cost reflected. I researched on the internet before getting them done. I got the same ones as Rosanna Davison. However I totally regret having them done. Within a month 2 of them came out completly from the root and left 2 small bald patches. 6 months on the hair still hasnt grown back where the extensions came out. I found the owner quite rude when I rang concerned and she said it never happened before. I then paid to get them removed, it took hours and had the head pulled off me and according to the girls removing them I was not the first and there were other horror stories. Believe me hindsight is a great thing. Maybe get the clip-in ones but leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭oohlala

Has anyone tried cinderella extensions?

Any opinions

Cherryfizz wrote: »
    I got extensions in Hairspray and they seemed to be the best out there which the cost reflected. I researched on the internet before getting them done. I got the same ones as Rosanna Davison. However I totally regret having them done. Within a month 2 of them came out completly from the root and left 2 small bald patches. 6 months on the hair still hasnt grown back where the extensions came out. I found the owner quite rude when I rang concerned and she said it never happened before. I then paid to get them removed, it took hours and had the head pulled off me and according to the girls removing them I was not the first and there were other horror stories. Believe me hindsight is a great thing. Maybe get the clip-in ones but leave it at that.

Out of curiosity, did you follow the after-care instructions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Sounds like Cherryfizz yanked them out - they just dont come out by themselves from the root :rolleyes: if aftercare was not explained or was not followed this result can happen.

and oolala - cinderella extensions are really excellent extensions - quality is amazing and they blend in really well with own hair.

I really feel that hair extensions is not something you should try save on - good quality hair costs alot and its a fact and someone who is good at doing extensions will not do them cheaply...so if you can't afford a good price then stick to clip ins - its better than having a dodgy job done on your hair for a small price only to pay a bigger price later trying to fix the mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I'll definitely be going for a temporary assist for my hair loss...Yes have read unfavourable reviews of the owner on a personal level, but there doesn't appear to be much choice.

• Advertisement

As girls we all know what our nails look like after having fake nails, whether its stick on nails, gels nails etc!
    Well remember, nails and hair are made up of the same substance and when u put Glue (bonds) on your hair, it will have the same affect as glue on ur nails. It weakens the hair under the bond and before long it is bound to break.
    That was the unfortunate problem I had with mine.

Ive just curled my clip-in's this weekend for the first time and they really are great. €120 in Hairspray for real hair clip in and you will get alot longer time out of them.

Don't say you havent been warned!

Sorry Laman but that is completely not true.
    Gel nails weaken your natural nails because your natural nails are files down prior to sticking on gel nails - this makes them stick better so already your nails are damaged after this process.
    Extensions bonds (Protein bonds) don't damage the hair underneath them.
    I have seen hair after extensions were removed and it is in same condition as before extensions.
    Damage only happens as a result of poor application or poor aftercare. Or bad quality hair

I spent €750 every 4 months and €150 maintenance every month, used the proper brush and bought the proper shampoo and conditioner, I minded them like babies!! :-)
    I was a hairdresser many years ago so would really look after my hair anyway.

Im just letting people know of my experience of hair extensions and of many girls I know who ended up in the same boat.

I think maybe if you have really strong hair it might not affect you the same as if you have more weakened hair from colouring or bleaching but either way, why risk it when you get the same result with clip in's.

Having woken up yesterday morning after a tough night on saturday with the clip-in's still in, it was lovely to be able to clip them out unlike the bonded extensions which had to stay in when they felt really heavy!

Well the rule is not to apply extensions on hair that is weak - you need strong hair to support them. So perhaps the extensions werent right for you. It also matters how long you get them - if they are too long your hair may not be able to support them so its important to get a comfortable length.

Sounds like with your type of hair you should stick with clip ins - definitely better than risking damaging your hair for the long term.

Yeah totally agree, I certainly wont be getting bonded again! :-)

How would I get there from Heuston Station? The address is 30 Wicklow St Dublin 2, will drop in for a consultation next week or week after at latest.
    Thanks
    F

If it were me i would get the luas to middle abbey st, walk back along o connell st, over the o connell bridge, along westmoreland st up to lower grafton st and you take a right between weirs and brown thomas. Hairspray in dundrum is really good too, but probably some distance from heuston.

Also i heard people giving bad feedback on the owner, i dealt with someone in dundrum i think was the owner one day when i had a problem and i have to say he couldn't have been more helpful. Not sure if its the same guy but if it is i would say give it another go as the service for me was impeccable.

Thanks...whether theyr'e the nicest people in the world or not I'll give them a try, there doesn't appear to be a great deal of choice in the field of hair replacement for hair loss. I can't really express myself with a balding crown.....and have had to cut my hair short, in a very mannish style to hide it as best I can....not me at all........I did see a bald woman working in a nearby retail outlet, so no shame in it, but isn't me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 Magzie

Freiheit wrote: »
    Thanks...whether theyr'e the nicest people in the world or not I'll give them a try, there doesn't appear to be a great deal of choice in the field of hair replacement for hair loss. I can't really express myself with a balding crown.....and have had to cut my hair short, in a very mannish style to hide it as best I can....not me at all........I did see a bald woman in a nearby retail outlet, so no shame in it, but isn't me.

Just sent you pm about my experience with Hairspray & hair loss. Hope it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cherryfizz

abrr1000 wrote: »
    Sounds like Cherryfizz yanked them out - they just dont come out by themselves from the root :rolleyes: if aftercare was not explained or was not followed this result can happen.

and oolala - cinderella extensions are really excellent extensions - quality is amazing and they blend in really well with own hair.

I really feel that hair extensions is not something you should try save on - good quality hair costs alot and its a fact and someone who is good at doing extensions will not do them cheaply...so if you can't afford a good price then stick to clip ins - its better than having a dodgy job done on your hair for a small price only to pay a bigger price later trying to fix the mess

Excuse me I did not yank them out, cop yourself on, who would yank them out for gods sake grow up. I followed after care completly and used their products and was very gentle with them. Thats why when they came out of the root I coulnt believe it, TOTALLY SHOCKED. I came on this forum to tell my story and believe me if I knew what could happen with the best aftercare I WOULD not have have had them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

Cherryfizz wrote: »

OMG, I was just reading this thread and had to reply!
    You see I got extensions there a few years ago and they were a total disaster also, I paid a fortune for them along with an extra €50 on the final bill because I had 'thick hair'!

I was at my local hairdresser getting ghd curls in them for a work do and I ended up going home with a bag of hair! The extensions were just sliding out of my hair.

I had half them in half them out so I took the rest out myself, I couldn't go to work looking the way I did.

When I rang the owner he was down right rude to me, told me I should of went in and let them take them out, I had rang them before I did as I live 2 hours away and it was around Christmas time when I took them out.
    I had to ring and ring and ring and had more arguments than little.
    Eventually he agreed to give half my money back, which I got after another 2 months of phonecalls.

STAY AWAY from Hairspray would be my opinion.

Finally made it today, Dolores wasn't there, told she was the expert, but quoted at E1500, but told it would last a year. I'll have to see Dolores before I can book an appointment though! 1500 sounds very high...will attempt to bargain in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 candygirl85

believe me when i say all they care about in hairspray is your money. they dont care about the customer at all.
    i went to visit their branch in dundrum before xmas. as i walked in the door there was a blonde 'lady' shouting at two of the workers about how the spotless shop was not good enough. she threw the sample hair on the floor and ran around the shop like a woman possesed. none of the payed any attention to either me or my friend who wanted to buy some hair there. i decided they dont deserve my money but she insisted she needed new hair!!:confused: the blonde woman snatched the money off her and told her in the same tone she had spoken to her staff that there was no refund.:eek:
    i will never go in there again

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Yukina

I'm really interested in why having read this forum girls would still consider gluing hair onto their own! especially when clip-ins can be bought at a fraction of the cost and appear to be much better for your hair all around.

Maybe that's just me, but these horror stories would definitely put me off extentions completely!

Also @ freiheit I know you might not have considered this but a friend of mine suffers from Alopecia and instead of using bonded extentions she just went crazy over
    Her hair loss is substantial at this stage so she would wear a wig full time, but for the price of a hair cut she can buy whatever style and colour she likes... I know the idea of wearing wigs can be offputting, but honestly you can't tell!

I ended up getting the extend magic hair extensions in hairspray and i would not recommend them at all. They were supposed to last four months without maintenance and i was told i shouldn't lose any bonds. I lost about two thirds of the bonds, and i had even bought an extra packet at 75 euro to make my hair look fuller. When i went back they said i hadn't been following aftercare instructions and had probably used the wrong products but i had bought all the shampoos and conditioners and brushes from hairspray themselves and had the receipts. So although it did look great it wasn't worth what i paid.

Am looking around for another option now as these are coming out next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Allady

Hi Girls, I'm wondering if you could give me some advice. I had hair extensions put in my hair only a week ago by Hairspray on Wicklow street and I'm already regretting it. I've had them before (from a different salon) and I was very happy witht them and they lasted 3 months.

I got the shampoo, conditioner, hairbrush off them and have been following the recommendations for after care but my scalp os extremely itchy, and my boyfriend said that there is hive like red lumps on my head where the extension bonded to the real hair. After a shower, even if I leave them to dry naturally the bonds seem to be very soft. One bond is even starting to come loose on the crown of my head.

I would love to get rid of them but I spent a lot of money on them (and an extra €75 because I have thick hair). Also you have to pay €80 for removal.

Girls I'm just wondering if you were in my position what would you do.

Thanks in advance for any of your replys!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 foxxrok

Allady, I got system 2 a few weeks ago, have been so careful with my extensions with the right shampoo (diluting it down and all), only putting conditioner at the ends, brushing very carefully and drying properly. Almost half of my extensions have come out and the hair sheds quite alot also. I know this isn't supposed to happen (as that's what I was told a few times) and they are supposed to last up to 3-4 months without maintenance but I am really unimpressed with the system. I'll be trimming my extensions so my hair don't look ratty, because I'm not paying to have them removed.

To anyone thinking of getting extensions, don't do it. It takes so much time to care for your hair and from my own experience it has been a waste of money.

Allady, if I were in your position I would have complained about the hives and itchy scalp. Your scalp can be itchy/sensitive for a few days after as your hair can be pulling from your scalp depending on how rough the hairdresser was with the bonds. And that could be the reason for the hives, but any discomfort you have you should always give them a call and ask to go in and speak to Dolores.

Advertisement