Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Plugs with a ethernet splitter

Options
  • 23-06-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was googling and came across these. http://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Splitter-Sharing-Networking-Computer/dp/B002BVQF5A

Would these work with a homeplug?

My other option is to get a cheap 4 port switch but if I could use this method it would save a plug socket and power.

The issue I'm having is I need 3 ports in the sitting room media centre satbox and xbox. I was using a router I had spare cheap nasty thing but it lost the IP all the time seemed to be causing conflicts with my wireless router.

So was thinking I'd get a cheap switch a netgear one on amazon is 15euros or so and use that as it would make more sense

What do you think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

There are homeplugs with a small switch built into them with a couple of ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

No - they will not work.

The ethernet splitters work on their own because 100Mbps ethernet only uses 4 of the 8 wires in a normal ethernet cable. They simple move the 'second' 100Mbps ethernet signal onto the unused 4 wires.

The home plugs actually terminate the ethernet and convert it digitally into the powerline standard - so its only going to take the one ethernet signal from the correct wires and ignore anything else.

As techie mentions - either get one with an integrated switch or use a cheap switch on one end to get you the extra ports you need.

Advertisement