Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midgies in whorls behind the girth???

Options
  • 23-06-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm fairly experienced but this year I've come across something I've never seen before in 3 horses that are kept in different yards and have no common factors whatsoever. They have longish whorls just behind the girth (the area that would be covered by a stud guard) that are FULL of tiny midgies. Horses don't seem too bothered. Have tried fungatrol, fly spray, blue spray, washing the area with hibiscrub and they keep coming back.

With the warmer weather, the numbers have gotten ridiculous. The area isn't raw or sore, just a bit flaky.

Anyone seen this before and know how to shift it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Are they actual midges moving about or are they just stationary? If it's the latter is there any chance they could be bots?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

Actual midgies moving and flying, vary from black to greyish. It could just be that they've found somewhere nice to hang out...

Have you tried bathing the area with iodine?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

I'll give it a go. All the remedies mentioned above shifted the midgies but they came back within a few days...

I saw a spray for this recently enough - I think it was probably at the event in Tattersalls (can't be sure, though). Unfortunately I can't remember the name or the brand - all I can recall is that it was in a similar sized spray can to Aluspray. Maybe you could keep an eye out for it at the Horse Show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 keithk1996

i let my mare out on grass around october for a couple of weeks and i found these midgies in her ears and they were sore enough looking.. all i could do was brush them out and after that i didnt see them again.!

Advertisement