Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150MB broadband trials being introduced

• 23-06-2010 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

http://www.dot-ie.com/tag/eircom-150mbs/

bit mad. Is on fibre optic cables apparently. Eircom's new owners seem to be living up to their reputation

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

last weeks news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

so what...can't see any threads on it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Its Fiber to the nearest Eircom Cabinet and VDSL2 over copper to the home. (Similar to UPC's Fiber to the Cabinet and DOCSIS3 over co-ax to the home model).

They (Eircom+UPC) are both leveraging the 'fiber powered broadband' marketing terms to make people think they are getting a fiber connection all the way into the home.

Its a whole lot better than being fed from an exchange though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    last weeks news

I'm working on a way to glue myself to my keyboard but life keeps getting in the way :(

Snaga, if it provides 150mbs who gives a fig if it's coming via elastic bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

pwd wrote: »
    http://www.dot-ie.com/tag/eircom-150mbs/

bit mad. Is on fibre optic cables apparently. Eircom's new owners seem to be living up to their reputation
    Trialing something and then promising to deliver in about 10-20 years and then ultimately failing to delier?

UPC are already going to be upgrading to 100MB, i'm fairly sure they'll manage to up that somewhat before eircom get a move on.

• Advertisement

Trialing something and then promising to deliver in about 10-20 years and then ultimately failing to delier?

You're right, they should roll it out on a global scale without research just to see how many losses they can incur. Nice confirmation of the future though, do you have Saturday night's Lotto numbers too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

sounds like rubbish to me, much like eircoms ads on TV for "Next Generation Broadband" pfffft.

once on eircon, never again. i dont care what speeds they offer.
    besides, there will always be atleast 1 or 2 faster AND cheaper ISP's out there.

You're right, they should roll it out on a global scale without research just to see how many losses they can incur. Nice confirmation of the future though, do you have Saturday night's Lotto numbers too?
    Research need not take years. It's not as if Eircom are the world leaders in FTTH, many other countries have supplied FTTH for years.

To be quite honest, I do not expect Eircom to EVER deliver a residential FTTH service anyway.

In any case i'd love to see Eircom try and roll out FTTH on a global scale as you said. Ambitious :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

This is proven technology, it doesn't need trials, it doesn't need tests, it needs to be rolled out.
    Eircom have been coming up with trials of proven technology for years, it's great marketing to be able to say that they are trialling 150mb.

Ambitious :pac:

No party, facetious.

• Advertisement

This is proven technology, it doesn't need trials, it doesn't need tests, it needs to be rolled out.
    Eircom have been coming up with trials of proven technology for years, it's great marketing to be able to say that they are trialling 150mb.

Proven by whom? For whom? At what market? At a functional or commerical level? And you know this is all financially viable without any marketing yeah? You do know that Eircom endeavours to operate within the realms of profit margins like most other corporations and within the boundaries of a limited infrastructure. This country is largley rural comparatively, hardly feasible to make comparisons with large-scale European counterparts.

Proven by whom? For whom? At what market? At a functional or commerical level?

I could give you a list of companies in many different countries who are already using this technology commercially but it would be as long as your arm :D
    This country is largley rural comparatively, hardly feasible to make comparisons with large-scale European counterparts.

Ah here pull the other one, Eircom are trialling this in Sandyford and Wexford town, it's not like they are testing it out in the sticks. The fact is this isn't going to be something that will be rolled out to rural areas even in the medium term so Ireland being comparatively rural is irrelevant.
    And you know this is all financially viable without any marketing yeah? You do know that Eircom endeavours to operate within the realms of profit margins like most other corporations and within the boundaries of a limited infrastructure.
    What the hell are you talking about? That first sentence doesn't even make sense. This whole trial is spin of the highest order, nothing to do with testing, it's all for show.

The first sentence does make sense.

They are publishing fairly little about it from what I can see. If it was a marketing ploy, they would advertise it.
    According to the Irish Times, the network would cost 2.5 Billion euro to roll out nationwide. Do you really think that any organisation would commit to spending 2.5 Billion straight off the bat in the current economy? Maybe they'd like to see what sort of interest there is in it first.
    They aren't making any pretence that they are inventing a new technology. The trial appears to be about seeing how it would work in practice, largely from a business perspective. I get the impression from the Irish Times article that the trial will largely be about developing a strategy of cooperation with other ISPs in bringing the network into being. 2.5 Billion remember.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/0616/1224272613078.html

pwd wrote: »
    The first sentence does make sense.

They are publishing fairly little about it from what I can see. If it was a marketing ploy, they would advertise it.
    According to the Irish Times, the network would cost 2.5 Billion euro to roll out nationwide. Do you really think that any organisation would commit to spending 2.5 Billion straight off the bat in the current economy? Maybe they'd like to see what sort of interest there is in it first.
    They aren't making any pretence that they are inventing a new technology. The trial appears to be about seeing how it would work in practice, largely from a business perspective. I get the impression from the Irish Times article that the trial will largely be about developing a strategy of cooperation with other ISPs in bringing the network into being. 2.5 Billion remember.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/0616/1224272613078.html

There is one serious problem with that conclusion, where will Eircom a company billions in debt get 2.5billion, they won't. This is keeping up appearances.
    It's been in the papers, rte website etc. it's given them some nice publicity.
    We also can't assume that this trial announcement wasn't aimed at investors etc. and not consumers.

There is one serious problem with that conclusion, where will Eircom a company billions in debt get 2.5billion, they won't. This is keeping up appearances.

It's been in the papers, rte website etc. it's given them some nice publicity.
    We also can't assume that this trial announcement wasn't aimed at investors etc. and not consumers.

"Mr Donovan declined to be drawn on how collaboration between the telcos might operate and stopped short of calling for financial support from the State."

They're seeing how they can get money together to implement such infrastructure. So yes it is aimed at investors, and at potential partnerships. That's kinda the point. The trial is about seeing if it is financially viable to do this on a larger scale, and about seeing who is interested in getting involved. It's pretty straightforward tbh.
    Implementing the trials themselves is a significant undertaking (10k users). Suggesting that they are doing so purely for appearances, without any desire to bring things further, seems a bit ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Blindpew2

Eircom only spin these kind of yarns to make them sound like they are competing with UPC. In actual fact I don't know anyone that can even get the "up to 3mb" speed that they offer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This thread is utterly pointless, we all know ( bar the op who cannot search back a page ) that UPC will enable more homes for their 100mbit product than eircom will for the trial...and over the exact same time period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Snaga, if it provides 150mbs who gives a fig if it's coming via elastic bands.

You wouldn't happen to live in the cabinet by any chance?
    Cause that's just about the only way you'd get even close to the 150MB.

ikanos-downstream1.gif

You wouldn't happen to live in the cabinet by any chance?
    Cause that's just about the only way you'd get even close to the 150MB.

ikanos-downstream1.gif
    Fibre is not dsl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Fibre is not dsl.

Fiber to the cabinet.
    VDSL2 to the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

More eircom propaganda..

eircom are seriously in debt, and are a joke, why they even thought it was wise to buy meteor when looking at their books is beyond me.

This news is only to take away from UPC which is actually bringing speeds of up to 100mb or 120mb in August, by the time eircom finish trialling these so called speeds, everyone will already have it.

And there big announcement a few weeks ago was 8mb Next Gen. Broadband? crikey.

*UTV Internet was the one brought in the flat-rate 56k modem prices after 6 into the market many years ago

*BT Ireland was the one who introdcued affordable 512k dsl (55 euro a month as compared with eircoms 130 euro a month)

*UPC are now the only ones IMO pushing out the boat..

They bought meteor as part of their plan of moving into new markets, because they were aware that standard telephony services are becoming less profitable. As regards broadband, they are prohibited from selling at a loss to gain market share because of their status as a former monopoly; their expenses are too high to allow them to compete on price without doing so. Therefore they adopted a strategy of focusing on customer service, in imitation of BT's strategy in the UK broadband market. Not sure how well they implemented this strategy, but they can't be as bad as UPC imo when it comes to service. They are trying to position themselves as a vendor, in line with the customer service oriented strategy. Part of that involves offering services and products that are not widely available, or not available from reliable sources.

eircom have major problems in their culture, their structure, their numerous overpaid unecessary office workers, their image...the list goes on. However there's an attitude on this forum that eircom = nonsensical, which leads people to dismiss anything that involves their name being mentioned really. This attitude is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

I am neutral but tend to disagree with your sentiment. Eircom are referring to their latest BB offering as Next Generation Broadband( NGB) but, and this where eircom falls down, it assumes that its customers dont know any better and can therefore attempt to make itself look good and in harmony with the latest technologies. NGB is not NGB = first shot in foot. NGB will take ages to rollout, = second shot in foot. it goes on about 8mb uncongested speeds but if line can only take 2mb it does not matter a whit to customer who foolishy thought their speed would increase = third shot in foot. The fact that VF bb are referring to NGB as enhanced BB shows that VF know customers will not be duped = fourth shot in foot. The final bit was the announcement of the TRIAL of fibre to home. = 5th shot in foot. Not bad for a company that needs customers badly.

Eircom should treat customers fairly, tell it as it is and move away from BS. The results might surprise them.

gb--

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The problem with all of these is honestly the damn upstream. Great; you can download at a zillion gigabits per second but if the other side (i.e. the upstream) can't push it all the way through all the Internet routers to you then it means nothing once you leave the company network.

Nody wrote: »
    The problem with all of these is honestly the damn upstream. Great; you can download at a zillion gigabits per second but if the other side (i.e. the upstream) can't push it all the way through all the Internet routers to you then it means nothing once you leave the company network.
    SDSL costs a bomb and no one seems to offer it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

VDSL2 will be no better than ADSL1 for most beyond 2km/3km from the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is it all simply too little too late?
    http://arstechnica.com/telecom/news/2010/06/verizon-testing-next-generation-10gbps-fios.ars

VDSL2 is for short stretch at 20Mbps to 100Mbs within a short street. Longer roads will need several cabinets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

watty wrote: »

Verizon are pretty much ahead of everyone in the US though. FiOS is a great service but they have the population density to make it economical, which I still don't think it is. I wouldn't think any telecoms group in Ireland has close to the cash reserves Verizon has, even per capita.

Advertisement