Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my Components work well together?

Options
  • 24-06-2010 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Will this Mobo in my basket work well with the rest of my kit? Cause I know its a little cheap but I know it can overclock and its got everything I need. Plus the PSU is 500W and I think the processor and GFX card may require more. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (even for my build in particular). I need all the help I can get!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Personally I would get a more powerful PSU something like a 650 but that would be just me. After that I see no issues, but I am falling asleep here so wait for a second opinion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

You should post this in the Building & Upgrading sub-forum.

Do you already have a case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

should work fine.. i picked up a GA-MA78GM-US2H (mini-atx) from komplett for 50 quid last year and ive never had a problem with it. was seriously impressed how far i could overclock it too.. phenom 11x3 from 2.6 to 3.4ghz stable on stock air!

go for it i say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

Farcear wrote: »

Do you already have a case?

Yeh I do its one of those "Case w/ 500W PSU" cases. It might not be reliable though, thats why I was wondering would it all work okay. I thought I might need a bigger PSU and a better make like the 600W stealthxstream thats pretty cheap for what you get with a Thermaltake V3 Black Edition.

Plus does anyone have any idea how much it would cost too ship all those components .

P.S.
    Farcear wrote: »
    You should post this in the Building & Upgrading sub-forum.

For some reason it wouldn't let me post and would go back to Home page of Boards.ie everytime I tried to post on that sub-forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

the psu is junk look for a better make otherwise you could blow that rig :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Kevin, can't you re-save that thing as a PNG or at least a JPG in Paint? Overweight bitmap is overweight :o

Solitaire wrote: »
    Kevin, can't you re-save that thing as a PNG or at least a JPG in Paint? bitmap is overweight :o

Done. I couldn't change it the other day when I first posted. Everything on this old PC is falling apart. I pick up 5% of defragmentation a day. It can't run a lot of programs over the internet / from memory I have installed on the system. The only thing keeping this 'thing' going is my 8600GTS inside (no matter how disgusting it is).

Thanks man :)

The memory isn't the best but it'll work :p

The system won't :eek: You have no PSU! :o You could run a very basic low-power system off that PSU that comes with the case but this kind of system will make it go "pop" in a matter of seconds :(

Realistically you'll need at least a decent 550W PSU - check out the Antec Basiq Plus and Corsair VX550 for starters. You can also dump the horrible case and pick up a better one like the Thermaltake V3 or NZXT Gamma for around the same price - the latter even has cable routing, and both allow you to strap on a buttload of extra fans, which I recommend you do.

Given that you've plumped for a 125W CPU I'd recommend one or two extra 120mm fans for the case (nowadays you can pick up low-noise Xilence or Arctic Cooling 120mm units for a fiver a pop in some places!). If you intend on taking advantage of the unlocked multi on the CPU and doing some light-to-moderate OCing I'd recommend on picking up a decent if cheap CPU cooler (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus fits the bill nicely) and adding 120mm intakes and at least one dorsal exhaust fan to those cases (preferably a 140mm unit in the case of the Gamma's larger top exhausts) to handle the heat; if you intend on heavy OCing I'd recommend the NZXT Gamma case, adding a 120mm intake and two 140mm top exhaust fans to it, get at least the Hyper 212 Plus and upgrading the PSU to a 650W unit (Antec Earthwatts 650D or Corsair TX650) to deal with the added power draw.

If you don't intend on OCing at all you might as well downgrade the CPU to the X4-945; not a big dip in speed but a saving in terms of not only price but also both heat and power usage.

Kevinf63 wrote: »
    Yeh I do its one of those "Case w/ 500W PSU" cases. It might not be reliable though, thats why I was wondering would it all work okay. I thought I might need a bigger PSU and a better make like the 600W stealthxstream thats pretty cheap for what you get with a Thermaltake V3 Black Edition.

I mentioned earlier that if the case w/500W PSU was useless I would buy these two above. So would they work? Hyper 212 is very good, I've seen it in action keeps it cool and silent :). I think Solitaire mentioned the Thermaltake V3 I have up there, which looks but does the job very well. Stealthxstream is a very cheap and reliable PSU thats compact in size (even fits in awkward Dell BTX cases). So it would be handy if I ever want to go for a smaller setup.

SXS600 is sometimes cheap, but certainly not good or reliable. 600W is really the limit for the old SXS series and pulling anything past 400W will have an SXS crying blood; having it pull much past 550W will make it angry and vindictive toward your components and start hurting and killing them with unholy ripple voltages :eek::(

The V3 is a nice case (I think the Gamma is a tad better, if only from the fact it has cable routing) but the SXS600 is best replaced with a real PSU :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement