Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 5, Episode 13 - " The Big Bang "

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

protosByte wrote:
    The only issue I had with the series is that not enough people died ! In doctor who people are dying all over the place. It's a trademark thing. We need more death ..........

It's usually only the "redshirts" who die though. Can't remember an important character dying since the classic series...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 protosByte

I don't really care who dies. It doesn't have to be a main character. Anyone will do really .....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Uhhhhh, ok.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

protosByte wrote: »
    I don't really care who dies. It doesn't have to be a main character. Anyone will do really .....
    I'm getting fond memories of "Horror of Fang Rock" where everybody dies, except the Doctor and Leela. We need more of that sorta slaughter!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 protosByte

ixoy wrote: »
    I'm getting fond memories of "Horror of Fang Rock" where everybody dies, except the Doctor and Leela. We need more of that sorta slaughter!

That's what I'm talking about. Horror of Fang Rock was a great book / episode !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

elekid wrote: »
    Just to clear up all the confusion, here's a timeline for the episode...

Thanks. That was... helpful...?
    Kharn wrote: »
    He's a likeable character and there's potential to do a lot with him
    especially now that he's an Auton.

He's really not.

Added stuff: So someone might have already said this, I don't know, I'm too tired to read every single post but I'm pretty sure the Doctor said that the TARDIS acting as an artificial sun gave the Earth a small bit longer to live than the rest of space and time hance the eye of the storm. It's a bit questionable but I think people analyse it too much. No matter what explanation was given it's such a complicated story that there would probably be some sort of hole to find it and also, it's a kids' show, storylines can only be so complicated, and this one was already very very complicated. Just my view anyway. again, sorry if someone has already said this,

The way I got it was that the earth was in the centre of the "Storm" so that was why it lasted longer. The TARDIS exploding acted like a sun to keep the planet warm and keeping everything alive on Earth. Not sure how well that works if there have never been any stars. Unless it's that as the stars disappear they get forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That timeline reminds me of one someone did for "Primer", which tbh was a much cleverer handling of the whole "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" thing and doesn't have any deus ex machina or "get out of the pandorica free card" resolutions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Stark wrote: »
    That timeline reminds me of one someone did for "Primer", which tbh was a much cleverer handling of the whole "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" thing and doesn't have any deus ex machina or "get out of the pandorica free card" resolutions.
    Yes. However "Primer" is the exception to the rule in that it's nearly the only movie that handles complex time travel very well and consistently. Most of the others muck it up or rely too much on silly paradoxes. "12 Monkeys" did a good job too, just not on the same scale.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ixoy wrote: »
    Yes. However "Primer" is the exception to the rule in that it's nearly the only movie that handles complex time travel very well and consistently. Most of the others muck it up or rely too much on silly paradoxes. "12 Monkeys" did a good job too, just not on the same scale.

It must be said I can't recall fezes in either of these films though so I consider this point rather moot?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm, I was just catching the BBC3 repeat of The Pandorica Opens, and the Doctor actually mentions that he could easily open the Pandorica, but didn't want to until he knew what was inside (don't forget, he initially thought it was a prison with someone in there already).

The fact that Rory opened it so easily with the sonic screwdriver was mentioned as a criticism by a few people, but on re-watching the first episode, it actually isn't as much of a goof as I first thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, I was just catching the BBC3 repeat of The Pandorica Opens, and the Doctor actually mentions that he could easily open the Pandorica, but didn't want to until he knew what was inside (don't forget, he initially thought it was a prison with someone in there already).

The fact that Rory opened it so easily with the sonic screwdriver was mentioned as a criticism by a few people, but on re-watching the first episode, it actually isn't as much of a goof as I first thought

Yep, I thought he might have said something like that but wasn't sure enough to use it in argument form.

Still won't solve the argument of "but he shouldn't have been able to hand Rory the sonic screwdriver..."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

1DMY4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

My head hurts!!!! Will have to print it out i think and get a proper look. Thanks for posting it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Ooh, messy, pretty timeline. My head hurts. The bit at the bottom reminded me of the "TARDIS bang-bang, Daleks BOOM!" line from Victory of the Daleks, even if it wasn't intentional. :pac:
    nicowa wrote: »
    Still won't solve the argument of "but he shouldn't have been able to hand Rory the sonic screwdriver..."

Moffat's intention was that the Doctor wouldn't have to obey the normal rules of causality, as the universe was collapsing around him. He revealed as much during the final Confidential episode. The rules of reality were unravelling along with reality itself, so the Doctor really did manage to escape from the Pandorica because he escaped from the Pandorica, because he escaped from the Pandorica... and so on. Which is fair enough IMO, it's an entertaining loop of fate!

Possibly a leap of faith for some people's suspension of disbelief, though. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

You know what? SCREW EVERYTHING in this thread

I watched it again and I STILL enjoyed it. Paradox or no paradox, Sun or no Sun. It was good timey wimey fun and I am sick of analysing it

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Hmm, sorry. Probably over-analysing it alright. :/

For the record, I loved the finale! Two terrific episodes with tons of brilliant moments, and I always enjoy Moffat's fun paradoxes and wibbly-wobbly goodness.

Also, fez! :D

Advertisement