Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My head is wrecked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Augmerson wrote: »
    Why don't travellers ever play the race card?
    They don't, they play the "member of the travelling community" card.
    ascanbe wrote:
    Tell him he'd make more money if he didn't ignore the lucrative 18-21 year old market.
    I think the OP means that anyone who looks under 21 has to be asked for ID, which is the law, this came about once the gardai realized that pub owners were getting away with serving underage people by saying they looked 18, given how young 18 can look they got away scot free but you'll rarely find a 17yo you can realistically say looks over 21.

Did he ever produce the ID? It wouldn't surprise me if it was a 16yo trying to freak you out into letting him off with drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

They don't, they play the "member of the travelling community" card.

I think the OP means that anyone who looks under 21 has to be asked for ID, which is the law, this came about once the gardai realized that pub owners were getting away with serving underage people by saying they looked 18, given how young 18 can look they got away scot free but you'll rarely find a 17yo you can realistically say looks over 21.

Did he ever produce the ID? It wouldn't surprise me if it was a 16yo trying to freak you out into letting him off with drink.

So if you're legitimately over-18 and have the i.d to prove it, but you're under- 21, you cannot buy drink in an off-license if the owner decides you look under-21, as you may well do, seen as you are under-21, even though you're legally entitled to buy alcohol when you're over-18? :confused:
    I wasn't aware of this; but perhaps you're correct. This is Ireland, after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Glenshane Pass

"Listening to ****e from punjab".

Do Africans listen to Punjab, in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Your reply should have been "Yes... Yes I am a racist, now get the **** out of the shop, or perhaps **** off might be too kind.. I can call the boys if you want to make a scene"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why do they do it though, it doesn't make sense.

Some people will just take the p*ss out of certain situations.

Such is life.

PS. Well played Nodin, well played.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Used to get this when I was working in a phone shop. The odd black gent would come in who had no job and was only in the country a couple of weeks and look for a bill phone. (A few were also on a fraud list)

Then when they were denied they would scream racism and make a holy show of you. But you'll have that, people will always try to work an angle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

simple solution...

Black guy: 'Why are you being racsit?'

You: 'Are you calling me a racist? Would you like to come with me and say this to my face in front of the manager?'

If you make life as difficult for him, as he is making it for you, then he'll back down eventually.
    This is the kind of chancer that will have a lot of neck if he can spot a decency in someone... ( my way of saying that you sound like a decent guy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I remember being told a story like this when i was working in a train station. by a ticket checker. He said he was on the train when an African lad got on. The ticket checker was moving down along the train checking tickets and when he got to the African lad he asked him for his ticket.

The african lad then started making a big fuss and started calling the ticket checker a racist so the checker just says "Ya i am a racist, now show me your ticket". The african lad did'nt know what to say to that and of course he did'nt have a ticket and was made to pay for one.

Probably the best approach to take really. They're only trying to embarrass people into letting them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

ascanbe wrote: »
    So if you're legitimately over-18 and have the i.d to prove it, but you're under- 21, you cannot buy drink in an off-license if the owner decides you look under-21, as you may well do, seen as you are under-21, even though you're legally entitled to buy alcohol when you're over-18? :confused:
    I wasn't aware of this; but perhaps you're correct. This is Ireland, after all.
    No, you can buy alcohol from the age of 18 anywhere. If you look under 21 legally you have to be asked for ID, but once the ID says your over 18 you're good to go. Its to prevent 17yr olds who look older getting served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Oldest trick in the book.

Underage + black face paint = free racist bag of booze.

I used to do it all the time when I was young fellah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

He's entitled to buy alcohol if he's over 18, surely?
    I'm pretty sure that anyone over 18 can buy alcohol anywhere, no matter what the policy.
    I stand to be corrected though.

They're not "entitled" to it, I'm pretty sure a shop can refuse a sale to anyone they want if they feel like it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

OP- IF the incident happened as you described it, then it's an awkward situation to be in and anyone who immediately cries "racist" to get their own way is scum.

BUT, I have to say I've seen far far more abuse OF black people living in this country than people inadvertently playing the race card. Just from taking the Luas, every week I see the black ticket checkers abused by skanger scum when they don't have any tickets. "Get out of our country!" "AIDS came from your country" etc.

I have had Indian friends and Chineese friends, African friends and Polish friends. Why is it only the African guys who get abuse hurled at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Ruu wrote: »
    Burn down the shop.

Have you become an arsonist?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

Most of whom? :mad:

For god's sake, can people not say anything anymore?

Give it a bleeding rest and relax. White people, gays, travellers, asians, EVERYONE gets called "them" from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

next time just give him the booze hopefully he falls under a truck i'm sick of these fcuking leech's :mad:

INTERNET HARDMAN ALERT.

purpur1 wrote: »
    White people, gay's, travellers, asians, EVERYONE gets called "them" from time to time.

Why do the gays get an apostrophe, and nobody else? Discrimination!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

Most of whom? :mad:

black people. thats what the whole thread is about, jeez. keep up to date:p

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

eightyfish wrote: »
    Why do the gays get an apostrophe, and nobody else? Discrimination!!!!! :rolleyes:

Thank you. Edited. Nobody gets one. We're all fcuked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

next time just give him the booze hopefully he falls under a truck i'm sick of these fcuking leech's :mad:
    You... didn't read the post did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dudess wrote: »
    You... didn't read the post did you?

Sure why complicate things with details?

We should get yer man to rename the thread "The Generous Vintner".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Nodin wrote: »
    Aye. I mean somebody who came out with

and

(bold mine where present)

would never harbour preconceived notions and generalise about "black" people.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61945415&postcount=158

Jesus wept. Nodin just went through the entire posts of this guy. Come the revolution I think Nodin has just massively increased his chances of being Minister For the Prevention of Crime-Think.

The Minister is good with t'internet. Be very afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Lone Stone wrote: »
    happens a lot in the uk, my sister was doing this girls hair and she was putting some color or some ****e in it and she goes this really goes with your skin tone,

the women starts going all ghetto girl SKIN TONE ! YOU CALLING ME BLACK I AM BLACK ARE %$%^ RACIST all this crap :rolleyes: really hope we dont end up like the uk

Fair enough if she got offended then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Fcuking blacks and Romanians! stowaways on a boat/plane more than likely then come over here for life!
    :mad:
    anyway, on topic,

Black guy no.1 - "whats up my nigga?"

black guy no.2 - "yo ma nigga"

Random white guy walks past - "fecking ****"

Both black guys - "Racist"

:mad: OUT of the country!
    hopefully 2012 wont happen so the survivors wont have to head to Africa! (movie reference)

candy-gal1 wrote: »

I do hope you're somehow taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Pittens wrote: »
    Jesus wept. Nodin just went through the entire posts of this guy. Come the revolution I think Nodin has just massively increased his chances of being Minister For the Prevention of Crime-Think.

The Minister is good with t'internet. Be very afraid.

Nonsense.

I will be High Priest Nod-Hotep, He Who Must Be Obeyed.

There was a smell off the op. I merely sought its origin.
    candy-gal1 wrote:
    Fcuking blacks and Romanians! stowaways on a boat/plane more than likely then come over here for life!
    mad.gif
    anyway, on topic,

mad.gif OUT of the country!
    hopefully 2012 wont happen so the survivors wont have to head to Africa! (movie reference)

The line between satire and reality is indeed a thin one.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I worked in a shop before and 3 guys came in I know from the area, all about 16-17, definitely not 18. Anyway, I wasnt really concentrating and just heard "20 blue please" and as I turned I said "nice try show us your ID". Turns out a much older looking bloke a beard was standing there looking at me. Just as I said 'ID' my boss walked out from the back room. Your man replies "ID? Im 26 ye mad yoke". "**** sorry, I wasnt concentrating". My boss being the wonderful gung-ho mother ****er stops me from serving him and says "If he asks for ID he needs ID". Your man leaves without his smokes and my boss says "Dont back down if they refuse to give you ID". Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I said my boss i didn't say anything to the chap and he is a liar, next yer man is talking about solicitors and the manager just said if a solicitor letter arrives i'm out on my ear, nothing personal just can't afford a claim to be banged in.

Sounds like the duty manager is a cowardly prick.

And he might want to think about how much compensation he would have to pay you for unfair dismissal.

Based on your posts, I would say you didn't nothing wrong, and I would have expected the duty manager to stand up for you.

...unless there is something you haven't mentioned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    :mad:
    anyway, on topic,

Seriously? I hope you're trying to be funny but just failing miserably. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

eightyfish wrote: »
    I do hope you're somehow taking the piss.
    Judging by that poster's previous contributions (which mostly comprise how "fabby" her "OH" is) sadly no... :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement