Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films you thought brilliant that others might not have seen or heard of.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Naasty

Nice thread.

Heres some gems I have watched recently:

Tropa De Elite (Elite Sqaud):
    Brilliant from the same writer of City Of God. Brazils toughest Police force are cracking down on the gangsters in the slums before the pope arrives. Nice action throughout it but also good story.

Christian F:
    This is based on a true story of a 14 year old girl who falls in love becomes addicted to heroin and becomes a prostitute.Very graphic scenes drug-use throughout but this an amazing film.Also soundtrack by Bowie.
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HfWa38trn5A&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HfWa38trn5A&hl=en_GB&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

La Haine:
    Story of growing up in the ghettos in France.Great show with lots of memorable scenes throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Some great titles mentioned in this thread, here is my own tuppence

The Quiet Earth (1985)
    Love this film, a scientist wakes up to find himself alone in the world. Ultra low-budget but a good story.

Death Hunt (1981)
    Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin = Win. I really like this flick its almost like First Blood Part 1 set in the 1930's.

The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer (1970)
    Saw this on TCM a while back and loved it. It stars Peter Cook as a guy who goes from nothing to being President of the UK (and thats not a typo). Really good satire on the state of politics which is just as relevant today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Bella_purple

The Perfume, the history of a murderer. incredible movie! a must see for anyone. it was made after a book, "the perfume", by suskind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MUmRIAqBXg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭spikeprint

I found Zietgeist devoloped into something akin to a cult proganda movie, Jaykhunter. When it started talking about the Venus Project I lost all respect for it, and put it down as conspiracy trash.

The recent Andrew Marr series on Darwin was excellent, and well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Superbad in 2007.....I thought it was brilliant but very few people had heard of it because the advertising of the film was very low here in Ireland

Oldboy....Excellent excellent movie!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Must check out Superbad, not sure how I didn't hear of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Et3rnalMo0nlite

Battle Royale anyone?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Battle Royale anyone?

Great film,I didn't like the sequeal at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

3 Chiwetel Ejiofor films:

Inside Man:

insideman-%282%29.jpg

Stars Denzel Washington and Clive Owen, slickly directed by Spike Lee. Refreshing take on the old bank heist movie. Ejiofor is DZ's police partner.

Serenity:

serenity_l.jpg

Stars too many good actors to list. Joss Whedon (Buffy/Speed/The Avengers) made it as a sequel to his old, terminated TV show Firefly. Great action but also a lot of thought and heart in it. CE is the nameless, ruthless Operative hunting down fugitives across space.

Redbelt:

Redbelt2.jpg

Stars Tim Allen (!), Emily Mortimer and Joe Montegna. Slow-drip thriller with killer lines. Give the story time to flourish and it will reward you. CE is brilliant as always in this.

In fact Ejiofor is a chameleon, he can play anyone. Haven't seen Kinky Boots but heard it's brilliant.

The Fountain:

fountain1.jpg

Stars Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz. A dark and gorgeous film from Darren Aranofsky that uses science, romanticism and mythology to ask what life and love mean. Stunned me when I first saw it, and I watch it every couple of months. Each time I find something new to love about it. Naturally it flopped in the cinemas and splitaudiences down the middle.

The Way of the Gun:

400,http---us.ent4.yimg.com-movies.yahoo.com-images-hv-photo-movie_pix-artisan_entertainment-the_way_of_the_gun-_group_photos-benicio_del_toro1.jpg

Ryan phillippe and Benicio del toro play two thieves willing to kidnap and hold to ransom a pregnant Juliette Lewis. James Caan arrives to deal with the situation quite violently. Written and directed by Christopher McQuarrie, who wrote The Usual Suspects. Underrated, understated and quite enjoyable. Even the usually irritating Phillippe was decent in this.

The Limey:

limey_420.jpg

A Steven Soderbergh film starring Terrence "Kneel before Zod1" Stamp as a tough-as-nails cockney out to avenge his daughter's death. It's a simple, snappy film. Stamp is a legend, messing with Yanks' heads with his slang and bravado. There's cool non-linear moments, where he'll talk, and keep talking, even as the scene changes completely. See it and like it.

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang:

kiss.jpg

Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Junior are superb in this twisty thriller from Shane Black, the writer of Lethal Weapon. Pay attention from minute one cos the plot keeps you guessing and re-guessing, without you ever feeling cheated. Love it.

Chopper / Bronson:

Eric_Bana_jako_Chopper_1994304.jpghardy_narrowweb__300x456,0.jpg

Both feature stellar performances from their main stars Eric Bana and Tom hardy. Bana and Hardy both transformed their bodies to become two violent criminals. Both films were terrifying yet compelling. I saw Chopper first and was amazed; saw Bronson very recently and could not believe Hardy was not nominated for an Oscar: he lived and breathed the role.

The Brothers Bloom:

the-brothers-bloom.jpg

This is a lovely film. It's not out yet over here but it's on Region 1 DVD since last year. Made by Rian Johnston, the inventive writer/director of Brick, stars Adrien Brody and Mark Ruffalo as two born-to-be-conmen who make it their life's mission to better the lives of the people they con, by that very con. (Makes sense when you watch.) Rachel Weisz is their latest project, and things take a turn for the fantastic, but it's all played with so much sincerity that I didn't really care how silly it all was.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not seen Bronson or Brother's Bloom but the other's you mentioned are all cracking films. The director of Brother's Bloom also made a brilliant film noir detective movie set in a high school called Brick. Well worth hunting down.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not seen Bronson or Brother's Bloom but the other's you mentioned are all cracking films. The director of Brother's Bloom also made a brilliant film noir detective movie set in a high school called Brick. Well worth hunting down.

I actually found Brick to be a well-made film (on a shoe-string budget--the behind the scenes docs were fascinating) but it ultimately left me cold. Felt like it'd make a better book than a movie, to get deeper into the mind of Joseph Gordon Levitt's character. Same as The Road, great book, film a bit too distant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Two films I absolutely love but very few people I've met have seen or heard of:

Frequency (2000): On paper the plot looks rediculous but it works, and works very well imo.

The Promotion (2008): John C. Reilly and Seann William Scott in this incredibly under-appreciated comedy. It has a fairly slow pace but hits the mark consistently with it's humour. A spiritual successor to Office Space imo, the film I'd hoped Extract would be but wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Ozil

A lot of these being mention, pretty much everyone even remotely into film will have heard of, e.g. Battle Royale, Oldboy, La Haine, Superbad, Kung fu panda and Gran torino??? Sure that won loads of awards and was nominated for many others. Next people will be saying Lord of the rings and Star wars lol.

Anyway my suggestion is:

Inland Empire (2006) - directed by David Lynch of "Mulholland Dr" fame, and starring Laura Dern and Jeremy Irons. Fantastic film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460829/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

I recommend Living in Oblivion.

One of my favourite movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113677/

Here's the trailer:

And my most favourite freak out ever:

I forgot this...

Amazing, beautiful movie

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

End of the line. for some reason they couldn't get distribution for this film
    its an excellent horror film. I saw in the IFI 2 years ago a special screening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWh1VlYWYpw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

A Room For Romeo Brass. This was the first time I'd seen Paddy Considine and knew he was something special.

Loved The Fountain, Inside Man and Chopper. All top notch.

From Darren Aronofsky, director of The Fountain, Pi. I'm sure everyone has seen it, but its class all the same. Again with a Clint Mansell soundtrack, which is one of the reasons Arnofsky movies are so good.

Also Memento from Christopher Nolan. Excellent story telling. Starring the under used and always excellent Guy Pearce, star another great, The Proposition, penned by Nick Cave.

Just thought of another one:

Dead Mans Shoes, starring Paddy Considine. About a chap who is released from prison and is seeking revenge. Shane Meadows directs. Considine really is a great actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

A few classics that come to mind;

R-Point (2004)
    Korean horror/war film,with some chilling twists

On 07 January 1972, the South Korean base in Nah-Trang, Vietnam, receives a radio transmission from a missing platoon presumed dead....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417072/

Visitor Q (2001)
    Bizarre Japanese,no holds barred film,that touches on all taboo subjects,and has some very funny parts.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290329/

Død snø - Dead Snow (2009)

A ski vacation turns horrific for a group of medical students, as they find themselves confronted by an unimaginable menace: Nazi zombies.
    Trailer here:
    http://www.deadsnow.com/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278340/

Old Boy is mentioned on previous posts,this is part of the The Vengeance Trilogy, Sympathy for Mr.Vengeance (2002), OldBoy (2003), Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005),the other two are well worth watching,not as good as Old Boy tho.

Oh Yeah another great trilogy,Night Watch (2004),Day Watch (2006) and hopefully Twilight Watch (????),these Russian fantasy good vs evil type films,absolutley amazing.

• Advertisement

Dead Snow is a good laugh. I loved the tag line: "Ein, zwei, die"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Ozil

spikeprint wrote: »
    Just thought of another one:

Dead Mans Shoes, starring Paddy Considine. About a chap who is released from prison and is seeking revenge. Shane Meadows directs. Considine really is a great actor.

Great movie, but he wasn't released from prison at the start - he just comes home from the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

The assasination of jessy james according to the the coward Robert Ford. Be surprised how many people have not seen this!!

The water babies. 80's kiddies film, anyone remember?? ?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Blood and chocolate
    basic instinct 2
    the lost boys
    peters friends
    geisha
    bettie page
    american physcho 2
    cruel intentions 2
    supersize me
    the opposite of sex ( you must see this!!!!!)
    sliding doors
    lust caution
    flirting with disaster
    thirteen
    the craft

Ricardo G wrote: »
    The assasination of jessy james according to the the coward Robert Ford. Be surprised how many people have not seen this!!

The water babies. 80's kiddies film, anyone remember?? ?????????

Yea i remember the water babies! Do you remember The Last Unicorn?? Scared the crap out of me it did.

Assasination of Jesse James is brilliant.

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Blood and chocolate
    basic instinct 2
    the lost boys
    peters friends
    geisha
    bettie page
    american physcho 2
    cruel intentions 2
    supersize me
    the opposite of sex ( you must see this!!!!!)
    sliding doors
    lust caution
    flirting with disaster
    thirteen
    the craft

All your movies with "2" after them I would avoid like the plague. And The Craft. And Sliding Doors.

Ozil wrote: »
    Great movie, but he wasn't released from prison at the start - he just comes home from the army.

You're 100% right, its been a while since I've seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

gladiator (not the russell crowe film) its a boxing film with cuba gooding

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

Stephen Rea and Donald Sutherland, Excellent!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1qGHWPgU-4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Human Traffic :)

Stephen King's IT

Advertisement