Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films you thought brilliant that others might not have seen or heard of.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭xoixo

I have a feeling this movie might be more well known than I perceive it to be, it just happened not to reach my group of friends but just in case I'm wrong, I'll give it a mention.

Mesrine: Part 1 - Killer Instinct (2008)
    Mesrine: Part 2 - Public Enemy #1 (2008)

It is a true story, Vincent Cassel starring as Jacques Mesrine a hugely active French criminal active in the 1960s and 70s.

Just watch it.
    It is seriously entertaining, funny, shocking, unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Oasis and Peppermint Candy from Chang-dong Lee are simply brilliant.

Old synopsis of mine for Oasis:
    Jong-du has just been released from prison where he spent two and a half years for vehicular manslaughter. He's a smiling, sniffing, social misfit, possibly mentally retarded but definitely out of touch with the rules of the world around him.

Gong-ju is a young woman suffering from cerebral palsy, almost completely incapacitated and effectively a prisoner herself … consigned to dingy flat while her brother and his wife live comfortably in the pleasant apartment that they acquired by pretending she lives with them.

One day, Jong-du decides to pay a visit to the family of the man he killed where he meets Gong-ju, the daughter of his victim. And so begins one of the most harrowing, challenging, realistic and beautiful love stories I've ever seen.

Directed by Lee Chang-dong, who also made the fantastic Peppermint Candy with the same actors, this is an uncompromising look at love in unusual circumstances as well as a commentary on the mistreatment of mentally and physically handicapped people in Korea.

But, if for no other reason, this film must be seen to believe how incredible the performances of the two leads are, particularly Moon So-ri as Gong-ju. Not since My Left Foot have I seen such an utterly convincing performance by an actor, made all the more shockingly realistic by several fantasy sequences where Gong-ju imagines herself without her illness and transforms completely before your very eyes.

Peppermint Candy is a film which begins with the suicide of a young man and shows in six reverse chronology flashbacks how he arrived there. Stunning stuff.

Unfortunately his more recent films Secret Sunshine and Poetry don't seem to be available anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Jasonw wrote: »
    I just wrote a list and all the descriptions but the filpping thing logged out so now you'll just have to do with the list:

Pan's labyrinth

Badlands

Goodbye Lenin

I felt a tad let down by Badlands. It looks beautiful though

Pans Labyrinth is fantastic. A beautiful, magical, slightly scary fairytale.

Goodbye Lenin - A belive it or not a Funny German Comedy. Who says the Germans dont get Humour.

I would also recommend The Searchers - the Best Western ever made. Its majestic and dark and shows the American landscape in all its glory. Who says John Wayne cant act?

Advertisement