Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation Please?

Options
  • 24-06-2010 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Its going to be another one of those "what dog should I get" threads!

Im after getting a pay rise and am financially comfortable, (well following the introduction of a dog I may have to save a bit haha!) and would love to get a dog. I've done a lot of research into the area, am aware of the costs, responsibilities, life spans commitments etc.

I would love a small (as small as possible), indoor dog, short coated/non shed. One that is relatively straight forward to train if possible. But I am aware that no dog is perfect! Pedigree/Mixed is not an issue. Was looking at Shih Tzu crosses, with Yorkies, Maltese or Bichon Frise?

Only thing is, I work 12 hour shifts 2 days a week, so I would be gone from 9.30 am to 10.15pm. I have prepared for this by ensuring that I would take the first week of those shifts off, to get the pup used to his new surroundings. I would walk him in the morning before work and after as it would be bright. I could also arrange for a friend to drop in on him during the day both days. I am off three days a week, and he would be with me all day those 3 days, walking, in the car, wherever I am. The other 2 days I work 8 hours and 4 hours, I'm sure 4 hours would be fine, and I dont start my 8 hour shift until late, so I would spend all morning with him and my housemate would be around a bit too as we work different shifts.

Also, these hours are not permanent, they are just temporary until some more suitable hours free up.

So, does everyone think I am prepared to take on a puppy? What kind of breed would you recommend, what age etc? Once I decide on a breed, I will of course, do some more detailed reading-up before I go ahead and get one!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'd definitely recommend a Bichon Frise or Maltese cross, they're lovely dogs, really sweet personalities and really cute too. Bichon Frise's are really smart too and can be trained easily. I don't really like Yorkies personally, because I've met a few nasty ones.

Be careful if you're buying a mixed breed puppy though, because you have to be more aware that people might just be breeding them to make money and they charge a lot of money for them. You have to make sure the puppies and parents have been health checked, and that the environment the puppies were raised in is good. And generally that the breeders know a lot about dogs and can answer any questions about the parents breeds.

Is there any way you could wait until your hours are better before getting a puppy? It's just that puppies need so much company, and those two days are long (though the other days seem fine). Or if you considered getting an adult dog from a rescue then you could leave it home longer, though I understand why you'd want to get a puppy :)

Or if you could take the pup to doggie daycare on those two days maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

thanks for the tips, yeah I heard the Maltese and Bichon Frises have really good temperaments! I definitely agree with you about the two long days, I just got switched over to these hours, so I'm going to have to leave it a few weeks before I ask to change :rolleyes:

I was looking into doggie daycare alright, and failing that, my housemate would be around from time to time and I would have friends drop in on him to take him for a walk/play etc!

I was thinking about adopting a dog from a rescue, its something I'm looking into, there are so many beautiful dogs there without homes, and you can often get young dogs in there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Bichons do not do well being left alone for long periods of time so that breed is not going to suit you. They suffer from separation anxiety big time so your siutation would not suit these dogs.

I would think very carefully about getting a dog with your current routine esp a puppy as they need lots of attention and also being left alone for hours will delay and even hinder toilet training etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Stay away from intentional breeding of crossbreeds with these fancy names, the cockapoos etc, puppy farmers are just mixing anything with anything, giving it a fancy name and charging an arm and a leg for it. They cannot be registered, and usually the parents have had no health tests done. They also usually state that this is a 'rare and unique new breed' which if that was the case then every mongrel is a new and unique breed! Another one they say is 'the pups have inherited the best traits of both breeds' which scientifically is impossible. Also stay away from anything advertised as teacup size, I know you want as small as possible but these dogs are usually bred by puppy farmers and byb's and can suffer from health issues because they are so small.

I would reccommend something a little older, maybe around 6 months to a year old. Housetraining will be difficult if you are not around all day to let her out to pee, and 8 hours would be way too long to expect a puppy to hold it so you will have accidents. If your getting a friend to drop in are they going to be able to do it everyday so that she isin't going more than 4 hours without a pee, or could you go home on your lunch break to let her out? Doggy daycare is a good idea, Im not sure if there is an age limit on how old they have to be or is it just that they have full vaccinations?

The breeds you mentioned sound pretty suitable to your situation but once again Id reccommend a slightly older dog. Would you consider a cavalier king charles spaniel also? Whatever breed you do choose have a look at some of the rescues and see if they have any. Or if you go to a breeder please research your breeder well, check that they do health tests on their dogs, that your able to view at least the bitch, that both the parents and the pups are registered with the IKC (not canine ireland) and that the pups are happy and well cared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

Would you consider getting a rescue dog?

I only ask because it breaks my heart when people come on and they all want new, pedigree puppies. I know they do seem more appealing, but as the proud owner of many a rescue dog I can safely say, I think they make the best dogs!

Also, the dogs will have been in the shelters for a while, so the staff can advise on their natures.

Maybe its something you should consider?

• Advertisement

I just got a new puppy today, for the first time in 6 years, and I had forgotten how much work it is! I'm so tired now, I just constantly had to be supervising her because she's so tiny and could get into trouble! and constantly trying to get her to eat or drink, and then taking her out to pee, and she was falling asleep and waking up every five minutes! and running around and everything! I'm home most of the day, off college for the summer and only working a few nights a week, so it's fine, but it'd be hard if you weren't there . . . I forgot how much work it was when they're that tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

god dont want to come across as mean, but puppy's are like babies, lots of attention, interaction, etc, you being away so long the wee pup will be bored and look for its own fun...like chew, bark and look for attention, l got a six month old black lab about yr ago and he tried to dig up garden chew clothes line, shed, and eventually i got him trained, lots of walks, toys, chew bones.. and the most i would be away from house would be 4 hours at a time, sorry but in my opinion i would not leave any dog longer than 6-8 hrs at a time,but thats just my opinion!! but good look any ways!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

thanks for all the advice! you are all right, the more I think about it, I couldnt do it to the little thing, leave it for so long! even if I organised for it to be looked in on, it would be alone for 3-4 hours at a time, until 10pm at night! I will try and adjust my hours before looking into getting one, and will let you all know when I get one!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Why not rescue a greyhound? They're great sleepers and would have no problem staying indoors sleeping while you're out. They're shorthaired and clean, and very very affectionate!

They also would need less excersise than your average labrador etc. Two 20 min walks a day is plenty!

I've got two and would highly recommend the breed, unfortunatley there are way too many in the shelters to choose from :-/

Glowing wrote: »
    Why not rescue a greyhound? They're great sleepers and would have no problem staying indoors sleeping while you're out. They're shorthaired and clean, and very very affectionate!

They also would need less excersise than your average labrador etc. Two 20 min walks a day is plenty!

I've got two and would highly recommend the breed, unfortunatley there are way too many in the shelters to choose from :-/

I love greyhounds but I think she wants a small dog. :)

I have to leave my new pup from 1.30pm to 12am today and tomorrow, I'm gonna be so worried! My parents and brother will be minding her, and my three other dogs will keep her company, but I'm still worried! They have their instructions not to leave her outside for too long, not to leave her in the sun, to make sure she drinks something, and stuff like that. It's only for these two days really, I'm usually only working a few hours, but I feel bad leaving her . . .

• Advertisement
Advertisement