Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ghost Traffic Lights

• 24-06-2010 3:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

With the advent of ghost estates also comes the advent of ghost traffic lights. There is a set just down the road from where I live- often I come around the corner and get stopped by a red and wait however long it is to change to green. In that time not once have I seen any traffic come from the other directions in the junction (its a crossroads).

Traffic lights like these were installed on the assumption that apartments would keep getting built indefintely and the subsequent increase in local traffic would require them. But now as estates/apartment complexes lie empty the traffic lights installed to service them are now quite unnecessary at junctions where there is little or no traffic.

What's other peoples experience of this, are there any completely pointless traffic lights on your daily commute ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

there is possibly a sensor embedded in the road and you may not be pulling up far enough to the line to trigger it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the sensor in Cabinteely is broken, its infuriating :(

Oh and Infrastructure not C&T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Lights at such locations should stay green on the main (through) route and only change if the occasional car pulls up on the side roads (triggering the lights through the sensor).

If this is done, then they need not be an inconvenience no matter how light the traffic they facilitate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Zoney wrote: »
    Lights at such locations should stay green on the main (through) route and only change if the occasional car pulls up on the side roads (triggering the lights through the sensor).

The problem is a lot of the sensors are broken and think there's something coming from the minor road when there isn't. This has happened all over the city (Dublin) and from what I've heard, they're not being repaired right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I'd contact the council about broken sensors. It seems that for many things in Ireland there is no pro-active maintanance (not even occasional/annual checks) but in many cases action is indeed taken if you inform the relevant authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Why can't these traffic lights switch off when it is not busy. It happens in other countries. In the UK they have a sign on them saying "part time traffic lights". When they are switched off you just use the junction like any other without traffic lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Why can't these traffic lights switch off when it is not busy. It happens in other countries. In the UK they have a sign on them saying "part time traffic lights". When they are switched off you just use the junction like any other without traffic lights.

Yeah, I used to travel along Glasnevin Avenue quite a bit on my way back from nightshifts and just West of the Autobahn petrol station there was a set of pedestrian lights that were timed to come on every few minutes ... even in the depths of night.

Advertisement