Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nine Year Rule

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dunne.Drift

If im gettin a taxi i want to sit into something decent, dont wana be gettin into something that belongs in the (as i would say) ''vintage rallie''...

i would have said 12 years, 12 is fair imo! 9 is fairly short in real terms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

mondeo wrote: »
    who's forcing you to take the first car? They don't tell me which car to take or they will get the "V" sign in the nicest possible way

Actually taxi drivers seem to follow this rule regardless. Try it at a rank and you'll end up thumbing one, which, thankfully these days is doable but you lose the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭shabbyalonso

Max_Damage wrote: »
    This is typical of the snobby attitude of this poxy country, just because it's old, means it's either unsafe or crap.

I can only speak for myself of course but I don't think it's being snobbish. I drive a 13 year old car and it's in top nick (if I do say so myself!). Anyway, it's for my driving pleasure mainly and it being a "private" car, so it should be. It runs perfectly and I have no doubt, is more comfortable than even some 1 or 2 yr old cars. However, when someone is running a "business" (i.e. a taxi driver - I think sometimes people forget that this is and should be regarded as a business, offering a service to the general public in which it makes profits, if run correctly), the better the service, the better the return. I don't claim that this is always the case but I for one, would prefer something more up-to-date, if even a bit bland. E.g. A nice E or S Class Merc - I don't think I'd buy one, at this stage of my career, however I do think that, as a passenger, they are a comfy ride, with plenty of room and a nice modern feel to them (much like chosing a modern style hotel over an old fashioned type).

Certainly, there may be some snobishness from some however I don't think people should say it's typical of people to chose something new, just 'cause it's newer - business is business and putting the best foot forward should win you more business. Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

From a safety persepecitve, I'd much rather a 1999 Focus(4*) to an Almera(2*), even though the two would be a similarly comfortable and may be very well maintained.

Funny thing is you just ruled out a 93-00 C_Class and 97 -03 A6 on the same basis i.e not enought Euro NCAP stars. C-class has 2 and the A6 only has 3 :eek::D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It's unfortunate however that you can't simply pick the one you want, wherever it is in the line - those with the nicer car and in my opinion therefore offering a better service, shouldn't be penalised for being further down a line.

Yes you can...
    Am I entitled to choose any taxi at a rank?

Yes, as a consumer your can choose whichever taxi you would like to travel in.

http://www.taxiregulator.ie/consumer/consumer-FAQs/consumer-FAQs.html#choosecab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had an epic trans-pennine taxi journey in the UK two weeks ago (Leeds -> Manchester Airport), so ended up discussing lots of random stuff with the driver there, he was horrified to find out that there was no age rule already here.

His car had to be white with certain black body panels and had to be at least a 51 (2001) plate. The plate number had to be repeated on both rear doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Magenta wrote: »
    Hmmm. About 50% of the population are female, and about 5% are gay men. I wonder which Magenta is more likely to be? :rolleyes:

You've also got a rainbow in your signature, to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

MYOB wrote: »
    You've also got a rainbow in your signature, to be honest...

Gay men didn't invent rainbows ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Ive travelled a fair bit with my occupation so I have taken many taxis in different countries.

Some taxis are a disgrace here in ireland. battered and badly maintained Nissans and Toyotas. Unclean cars as well as in some cases its obvious that the driver is a smoker because the inside of the car is covered in ash. Its absolutely disgusting. Had chat with a taxi driver regards car maintenance in dublin on the way to Top Gear when it was 1st in dublin and he said that a car shouldnt have to be checked within services :eek: in this day and age as he put it. Some of the drivers are unprofessional, due to their mannerisms and the sheer lask or safety and concept of safety. Regards prices Ireland is around the eurpoan norm for a taxi fare.

Germany: Nearly all cabs are a pale yellow colour. Mainly Mercedes cars and the odd VW or Hyundai. The Germany government offers some tax incentives for taxis to be bought from mercedes (another way of funding their economy). The new E class mercs actually have the taxi meter integrated into the driving computer in the car (its a factory fit!). They even have a OEM taxi button on some Mercs for the taxi sign. Ive never came across a dirty car or unprofessional driver over there + the fares are consistent.

The Phillipines. Most of the taxis cars are corolllas (93 - 1998) model. Granted they are bullet proof (my dad has one) and ive a new found appreciation for one seeing the abuse they put up with in downtown manila in 32 degree heat. Some wouldnt even be serviced properly, no such thing as oil service. Most the bushings and shocks are non existant on the car from bad road surfaces all you can hear is a metal on metal on rough surfaces. A 30min ride over there is 2 euro. I wouldnt dream of paying to be a passenger in one over here lack of rear headrests and the seats arent that supportive.

Sweden: Mainly Volvos due to them being produced in Gothenburg. Most are high spec in my experience. have a neat feature in that you dont have to pay cash you can charge your VISA or ATM (cirius card) in a machine in the car!!! Found that out by accident as I travelled there on short notice and sweden still uses the kroner :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Magenta wrote: »
    Gay men didn't invent rainbows ;)

They just stole it...damn them to hell!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If they are going to introduce this rule and expect taxi drivers to shell out on a new motor, then maybe its time to cap the licences in the short-term. I think the amount of taxis on the road is at saturation point at the moment so stopping any new licences would in some way be a little give and take.

And while we are on the subject of safety in taxis, I cannot for the life of me understand why taxis are exempt from the child seat laws. If the regulator can bring in a 9 year rule in the interest of public safety, how can they legally allow children into a vehicle while not being adequately restrained. The point of impracticality of having to have a child seat in a taxi is irrelevant, the fact is that it is unsafe so either scrap the exemption or put the onus on the driver or passenger to have a seat. To allow an unsafe practice purely because any other way is unworkable is mind boggling stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Taxi should be of the same kind of motor all over like a Merc or a Toyota i have seen a Micra with a roof sign:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Max_Damage wrote: »
    There goes that '85 Honda Accord taxi that I occasionally see in the city centre. :( I'd happily get into it rather than some new bland Avensis or whatever.

that thing is an abomination, dont know how anyone gets into it, it smokes like a nazi furnace and is as battered as a 50s housewife.

not too bothered what age a taxi is unless its in good nick, i have got into a 98 GS300 on westmorland street a few times, nice chap driving it and the car is kept well, but corolla's , priuses, civic saloons, ford c-max's, ford fusions ... any other car of that size should not be a taxi , passat/avensis/carina should be the smallest car used as a taxi

Advertisement