Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLEASE HELP ME

Options
  • 24-06-2010 4:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

HI GUYS,

okay so my poor dog has been biting at her tail the last few days and she has pulled some of the hair off it (bald patch aprox length of my thumb). the rest of her body looks grand but she is driven mad by continously being at her tail. (I am bringing her to vet in morning).

I am not entirley sure if its just common fleas, or dare i say it mange.

My concern is that while I am confident my dog will be fine ( I have an exellent vet)... i bathed her yesterday in flea stuff and I am now panicing furiously I might have caught Sarcptic mange (or scabies) .

Although there are no marks on my skin, Ever since I handled her I have got itches from around my ears, face, scalp, arms, legs, chest etc. Pretty Sure its not in my mind as i cant even sleep. I am sick with worry.Can anyone shed some light, should i get it checked out???????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

See what the vet says first, it mightn't even be mange if she's only biting her tail. I had three dogs with sarcoptic mange one time, and one guinea pig, but I handled them loads and never caught it.

I'm not sure, but I think I heard that if they bite their tail it could be because of their anal glands. Or it could be behavioural. The vet will find out I'm sure anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Get a diagnosis from your vet first before you start worrying. Base of tail itching is usually fleas or anal glands.

And anyway, if worst comes to worst it'll be fine. Most people involved in rescue have caught mange at one stage or another, it's not the end of the world, just a bit itchy for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I had the itching thing for a few days after I got my puppy. For a while I was thinking "Am I suddenly allergic to dogs" even after having them for years before. Turns out it was the flea medication causing the problm, not just me but also my wife and son felt it.

So do not worry it is the medicine for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

sounds like fleas and you yourself might be allergic to the fleas and flea dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mayisuggest

thanks for all the post guys, dog has been treated. as for me it wore off slightly but i still feel a bit itchy every now and again.

will wait a few days and if its not gone Im heading in to my GP. Its not like crazy itching that im scratching at 24/7, its more like the feeing of a fly walking on your skin. but its bloody annoying!

my parents are trying to convince me its nothing and between the hot weather and my constant fear of parasites I am over reacting and worrying over nothing.

Anyway heres hoping it stops, thanks agian for the comments :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Products containing Neem oil can help, it pongs but it works brilliant on animals and humans when it comes to parasites.

Advertisement