Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling the east coast of Australia

Options
  • 24-06-2010 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,

Currently in Cairns and planning to spend approx. four weeks traveling the coast down to Brisbane and then Sydney, seeing as much as possible along the way. Just wondering if people would recommend renting and driving the coast or just busing it? Any tips for the journey?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I think most people would say that the best way to do it is to rent or drive a car or a campervan. You're free to do what you want and can stop wherever you want and for as long as you want. It depends on whether you are travelling solo and how much cash you have. If you are going solo it might be worth your while checking out some of the tours. You meet a few people and have a bit of craic along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bundaegi

Thanks for the input. I can see the advantages of the self-drive option. It's just myself and my girlfriend traveling.

Advice from others more than welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Me and the GF did Syndey to Cairns this time last year. We rented one of the Jucy vans and it took us about 28 days. It was the cheapest option rental wise and was quite comfortable to sleep in. We had just come from doing the magic bus around New Zealand for 6 weeks so we kind of missed the company of others for nights out etc. You will probably end up doing a Whitsundays cruise and Fraser Island though, they are great craic and you'll meet loads of people there.

I remember that we did hardly anything between Sydney and Brisbane as the weather wasnt great down south. Surfer's Paradise and the theme parks nearby are a good laugh though. Can't think of anything else off hand but if you have any questions just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ya if you are going now, the weather won't be great from Brisbane to Sydney. The nights may also be a bit cold. However, if it's just yourself and the g/f I'd recommend the camper. The jucy would be fine but you can't stand or move around in them. Get a hi-top with a stove and fridge and by the time you get to Sydney you'll be as good as Gordon Ramsey! It will definitely save you cash. The rates should also be very good now.

Advertisement