Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babriggan Summer Festival 24th July - 27th July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

look out for a young girl selling her home made Dog treats...
    "Andys K9 Candies"
    Bless her.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

wasnt at the opening parade but think the mystery celebrity was brian ormonde, I saw him in the church car park yesterday evening when I was collecting my car on my way home, wonder how it went, Fingers crossed the weather holds for the weekend for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

No harm to them, but blocking the whole town off for the parade was taking the p*ss. I arrived home from work to be told I couldn't get through the town to my house by a frankly ignorant b*tch of a garda at the church roundabout. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

blastman wrote: »
    No harm to them, but blocking the whole town off for the parade was taking the p*ss. I arrived home from work to be told I couldn't get through the town to my house by a frankly ignorant b*tch of a garda at the church roundabout. :mad:

I was one of the volunteers for the weekend and blocking of the town was necessary. There was a parade going through the town with kids walking/marching. Their safety was a priority and this was the reason.

The weekend went down a treat. The weather was fantastic and the events where brilliant. Pictures available on http://www.balbriggan.info/ and http://www.balbriggan.net/ and will be on http://www.balbriggansummerfest.com/ shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

sgarvan wrote: »
    I was one of the volunteers for the weekend and blocking of the town was necessary. There was a parade going through the town with kids walking/marching. Their safety was a priority and this was the reason.
    Why was it necessary for north bound movements from the church roundabout to the corner at the credit union to be blocked for 50 minutes after the parade had passed this road and didn't use the road again?

Southbound movements were allowed after 20 minutes so there goes the safety theory.

Holding the town to ransom without proper detour signage in place is unacceptable in my opinion. At least there should have been some signage put up during the day to indicate that east Balbriggan would be inaccessible for 90 minutes from 7pm to 8.30pm, or a detour sign at Balrothery for those wishing to access east Balbriggan instead of letting them come across a blocked road to be faced with less than helpful Garda and volunteers.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Why was it necessary for north bound movements from the church roundabout to the corner at the credit union to be blocked for 50 minutes after the parade had passed this road and didn't use the road again?

Southbound movements were allowed after 20 minutes so there goes the safety theory.

Holding the town to ransom without proper detour signage in place is unacceptable in my opinion. At least there should have been some signage put up during the day to indicate that east Balbriggan would be inaccessible for 90 minutes from 7pm to 8.30pm, or a detour sign at Balrothery for those wishing to access east Balbriggan instead of letting them come across a blocked road to be faced with less than helpful Garda and volunteers.

This is the junction that I was at and we decided to allow traffic move between Chapel Street and Quay street as the parade had passed Quay Street, I am not sure why it the other end was not opened back up after the parade had passed Market Green.

The safety theory does not go out the window with regards to closing the town.

This is the junction that I was at and we decided to allow traffic move between Chapel Street and Quay street as the parade had passed Quay Street, I am not sure why it the other end was not opened back up after the parade had passed Market Green.

Do you have any opinions on my point about the closure being badly managed in terms of notifying people?
    I am talking purely about the northbound movements as outlined above. Of course it stands for other closures.

Do you have any opinions on my point about the closure being badly managed in terms of notifying people?

If there was no signs etc then fair enough it was badly managed. As I am not on the organising committee of the event I am not sure how the communication (or lack of as you are saying) was handled. I will mention it to the committee so it can be made better next year.

If there was no signs etc then fair enough it was badly managed. As I am not on the organising committee of the event I am not sure how the communication (or lack of as you are saying) was handled. I will mention it to the committee so it can be made better next year.
    Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

On a lighter note I really enjoyed Jason Byrne on Thursday :D He gave the committee a good roasting! The man is a great comedian live!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I can assure you there were no signs, either alerting you that the town was cut off or of an alternative route. Unless a shrugging steward counts, but they need to be positioned further out the road to be really effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

To be fair, all members are voluntery, and it was a huge job to undertake .I know the town was closed , and traffice movement a nightmare, but
    The town was full of life.The kids loved it.The teens had their open air concert.It was a great success and if the committee need to do things better next year than maybe, more people could volunteer to help out.Any member that I had to deal with ,was bending over backward to help.
    So, on a positive note, I thought it was great fun .

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

I agree that they were right to block off the town for the parade for safety reasons but also think it was bad idea not to have notices up saying that certain areas would be closed and have the times that they would be closed.

There did seem to be a great buzz around the town over the weekend and congrats to all involved in the organising

cathy01 wrote: »
    It was a great success and if the committee need to do things better next year than maybe, more people could volunteer to help out.
    The lack of volunteer's was not the problem, it was the lack of planning. No excuse for the lack of planning.

The festival itself needs a bit of a rethink in my opinion. The successful breakaway festival of the 1980s was a different era and Summerfest is modeled too closely to it and not as successful as it could be.

The festival itself needs a bit of a rethink in my opinion. The successful breakaway festival of the 1980s was a different era and Summerfest is modeled too closely to it and not as successful as it could be.

Could you add to it with suggestions because the idea is to get it as successful as the breakaway festival?

Advertisement