Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Garages - Past & Present

• 24-06-2010 8:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Following on from my query here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055948849

I was wondering if people remember where the car garages in Waterford were before the creation of the Motor Mile on the cork road.

I remember a lot of them but if people can help to fill in the blanks that would be great:

1. Tom Murphy (VW, Audi, Mercedes & Mazda) - Soundstore

2. H & H Motors (Renault) - Waterside

3. John Kelly (Opel) - Catherine Street

4. Autoboland (Volvo & Honda) - Newrath

5. Bolands (BMW & Mitsubishi) - Cork Road beside Eddie Rocketts - Where were they before this???

6. Paddy Walsh (Nissan) - Cork Road (1st garage on motor mile?) & Ferrybank (In Slieverue prior to this)

7. George Corbett (Saab) - Across from Park

8. McConnells (Toyota) - William Street (Near the Park)

9. Tom Dale (Hyundai) - Always in Polberry? No longer in existence I think

10. Barrett (Skoda) - In Catherine Street now in old John Kelly building but where previously?

11. T&C (Peugeot) - Always in current location on Inner Ring Road? (Is that what that road is called?)

12. Eddie Garry (Subaru) - Originated on motor mile?

13. Pat McCarthy (Citroen) - Out by Johnville soccer pitch?

14. Sheridans (Ford & Kia) - Originated on motor mile?

15. Walter Walsh (Mitsubishi) - The Glen - Never made it to the Motor Mile I think

Didn't realise there were so many when I started writing this!!! May have missed some too.

All of the above are just what I remember and they may not be right. The ones in italics I'm not sure about.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I rang their number to bring the car in for a service there a while back, and there was no answer. They seem to have disappeared. Pity, since Tom and Eamonn were nice lads. I'm sure they'll be grand in pastures new though!

They were on Thomas St, across the road and up a bit from Downes's. That's where I bought my first car!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 al20v

[STRIKE] 5. I can't remember BMW been sold in Waterford, untill Bolands set up there beside Eddie Rockets[/STRIKE]

(edit - Bards is correct as far as i can recall. )

7. George Corbett - He also sold JEEP and Mazda

11. The Quay, not sure of the number down near the munster express

13 - Im not sure where johnville is, but out passed johns park beside the salvage yard

14 - Sheridans are there as long as I can remember, with Rover (cork side) sold beside them

15 - Yes, he had a garage on bridge street. The plot is still there beside the chap selling tyres.

- Hyundai - is now been sold by Bolands at the BMW site

Set-Up in 1994 Martin Barrett Ltd , he must be 10 years in Catherine Street

(Is that what that road is called?) - Inner Ring Road

Murphys Sold Seat out where the carpet place is now on Motor Mile, before that they sold in Dunhill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Anyone know what dealership is associated with a company called MMM? I noticed a planning notice outside the closed Byrnes opposite Superquinn, seeking permission to turn it into a car showroom. MMM is the name on it.

This seems to be the one

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fricatus wrote: »
    I rang their number to bring the car in for a service there a while back, and there was no answer. They seem to have disappeared. Pity, since Tom and Eamonn were nice lads. I'm sure they'll be grand in pastures new though!

They're gone alright, I found them very helpful

Sean Kennedy who worked in there has a seperate business doing motor sales and services now, can be contacted on 051 880240 if thats any good to you.

I've found him very good for getting the car serviced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Walter Walsh had BMW before Bolands won the rights (Corner of Glan and Bridge Street)

10. Thomas Street IIRC -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Kahless wrote: »
    Anyone know what dealership is associated with a company called MMM? I noticed a planning notice outside the closed Byrnes opposite Superquinn, seeking permission to turn it into a car showroom. MMM is the name on it.

This seems to be the one

MMM is the holding company for Bolands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Tom Dale started on the Cork Rd in a building beside Morris DIY. I think Morris now use that building for bathroom furnishings(?)
    fricatus wrote: »

Malcolm, one of the master mechanics for Hyundai & Tom Dale, has set up his own place out beyond Kilmeaden (by Haughtons pub). I needed a job done on mine recently and he told me that a new part would cost me 600e if I went to Bolands, but that he could fix the part and it would only cost me 50 or 60. Thoroughly recommend him! PM me if you want his mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Great to see so many responses.

I didn't know if anyone would be interested.
    7. George Corbett - He also sold JEEP and Mazda

So were there two Mazda franchises in Waterford at the one time? As I definitely remember Tom Murphy selling Mazda's from where Soundstore is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 al20v

This was after Tom had it and before he went to the Cork Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

al20v wrote: »
    This was after Tom had it and before he went to the Cork Road.

Oh I see. That makes sense Thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

T&C Motors were down on the Quay,up near Dooleys Hotel before they moved onto the innner ring road.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭1971

the Central Garage sold Leyland Cars

The continental Garage on the Cork road sold

MC cairns also on the cork road sold Vauxhall

John deegan sold morris minors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

shockwave wrote: »
    T&C Motors were down on the Quay,up near Dooleys Hotel before they moved onto the innner ring road.
    indeed, and prior to that the building housed Meehan's Motors (owned by Eddie O'Brien, a brother to Jimmy who had the Central Garage mentioned above) who were Renault dealers and also had Cove Motors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

I think Sheridans used to be on the mall, some where near the new waterford crystal home. Albeit a long time ago now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

shockwave wrote: »
    I thought that right enough
    1971 wrote: »
    the Central Garage sold Leyland Cars

The continental Garage on the Cork road sold

MC cairns also on the cork road sold Vauxhall

John deegan sold morris minors

I thought they sold Renault cars??

I am really showing my age now but what the heck.Does anyone remember scanlons in railway square selling rootes/hillman/chrysler cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭1971

jimmyw wrote: »
    I thought that right enough

I thought they sold Renault cars??

I am really showing my age now but what the heck.Does anyone remember scanlons in railway square selling rootes/hillman/chrysler cars?

Yes!! the show rooms where like a glass box, real early 70's so called modern style.(what a shame to knock the Railway-station and build such a horrible structure)
    We bought a British Leyland car from the central Garage in '77 KWI 734'

Nissan's where then called Datsuns, boy what i would have given to drive a Datsun 120y.

Deegan's Garage was next st johns church on the right hand side as you look at the church.closed in the early 70's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I do actually. A bloke called Jim Byrne was the manager and I used to pal around with his sons and get a lift to school in the Chrysler Sunbeam :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

O Dolan Motors opposite the Park gates sold FIAT,
    Heveran Motors opposite Katie Reillys kitchen on the tramore sold Mercedes Initially and then John Burne sold SAAB from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

That was my grandparents place! Or at least him and his brothers...He bought he bp station on the quay(now flowers by lucy) and sold up shortly after statoil took over the station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

anyone remember Meehans on the Quay ? They sold Renault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

You had Daewoo in Wellington St before they went bits up too.

Advertisement