Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beachs + Dogs

Options
  • 24-06-2010 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hey everyone, just wondering what beachs allow dogs and i know certain are only allowed at certain times.

Like woodstown is up to 11am and after 7pm i think.

What about tramore, bunmahon, clonea strand etc?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Dont think any of the beaches allow dogs between 11am and 7pm, there are signs up on all the beaches I have been to.
    They are definitely not allowed on Tramore, Newtown, Kilfarrasy, Annestown, Bonmahon, Woodstown or Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you keep the dog on a lead and clean up its mess nothing will be said to you on most beaches, just keep it away from children playing etc, this law is not really enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Thanks, i do clean up after the dogs when out walking. This one is a 3month old pup i want to bring on the beach, don't know would i chance it on hours they are not supposed to be there though. Don't want a fine :(

On bonmahon beach are they not allowed on that beach? I've often saw people walking dogs and i have brought our old cav there too, didn't realise! EEK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭queenm

Can I just add to the suggestion that dogs are kept on a lead please? I was on Tramore beach last weekend with my mother, sister and dog and we were full on attacked by two dogs let off their leads who came flying for my 14 yo terrier from way down the beach. One was a boxer type who did have a muzzle on but that did not stop him from pushing me to try to get to my dog. I am certain had it not been muzzled, that my dog would have been injured. The boxer type certainly made a good effort. The law says "effectual control" and your dog is not under control off the lead if you are halfway down the beach screaming "Tiger, coome here" while your dog is throwing itself at another dog and its owners!!

Just be careful and responsible please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I know of several people who have been given warnings and told they would be fined if on Tramore beach this year.

Its against the law to have the dog on the beach at specific times because people don't want them there so only a very selfish person would ignore this I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

kilmurrin cove (think thats d name of it) outside bunmahon on the way to tramore. I used to bring my dog down there before she died, never too many people there and there wasnt anything saying you couldnt have dogs on the beach ( could be different now)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

My kids are terified of dog's and i am always at the beach (Tramore or Boatstrand) and dog's are always off there leads i often have to leave the beach because of it, and it is always Tramore beach, and there owners saying he won't touch them he love's children, in the meantime my kids are up on my shoulders screaming!!!!!!!!!!! Please keep your dog's on leads or go to a beach where there is not many people around:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

pommers wrote: »
    My kids are terified of dog's and i am always at the beach (Tramore or Boatstrand) and dog's are always off there leads i often have to leave the beach because of it, and it is always Tramore beach, and there owners saying he won't touch them he love's children, in the meantime my kids are up on my shoulders screaming!!!!!!!!!!! Please keep your dog's on leads or go to a beach where there is not many people around:)

For this very reason I always carry a stick with me, and if an unrestrained dog comes near us it gets a gentle rap on the nose with it, and more if it persists. If the owner starts complaining then I just tell them to feel free to call the guards or I will. Luckily I've only ever had to really take action twice, once in Tramore and once in Woodstown.

I grew up with dogs and love them, but many "oh it won't hurt a fly" owners don't seem to realise how terrifying a fully-grown dog must be to a small child.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A large dog may be playful and may think it's great fun to jump and tackle a child.
    But a small child versus a large dog will result in the child getting flattened, rugby style!

If you keep the dog on the leash you'll be fine even if you are ignoring the council signs
    Otherwise, people will rightfully tap or hit the dog with a stick if it comes racing in at speed to children
    "Ah but it's only playing....."

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

twitch1984 wrote: »
    kilmurrin cove (think thats d name of it) outside bunmahon on the way to tramore. I used to bring my dog down there before she died, never too many people there and there wasnt anything saying you couldnt have dogs on the beach ( could be different now)

Is that the beach on the bad enough corner and its like mainly stones while walking on to it?

Just wanna say thanks to the people who replied and gave me the answers i was looking for and further help.

I am sorry some of ye experience other things on beachs but i didnt ask did my dog have to be kept on a lead :p My dog does be on lead and was off it once and there was NO ONE on the beach cause it was so early.

I have a 22month old who adrores dogs, wouldn't be scared of them at all, just slightly nervous of bigger dogs for fear they'll knock him over. We had a newf upto yday (RIP :() and he loved her, just when she came plodding towards him to ran to safer place so she didn't knock him. I can understand peoples concerns, cause he knows our dog where he wouldn't others and would probably cry if an energetic lab or something came to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

Eemia wrote: »
    Is that the beach on the bad enough corner and its like mainly stones while walking on to it?

yeah dats the one

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Driven4aLivin

Hi

I bring my dog to Ballydwan beach when I'm in Waterford. Unless it's a sunny weekend day the beach is usually fairly quiet so it's great for a dog as there's few people they can annoy!

To get to the beach take the road to Stradbally/Dungarvan from Bonmahon i.e. go up the big hill in Bonmahon. Keep driving straight and you'll see a signpost after 5 mins or so for Balldwane beach....a turn to your left. It's a narrow road down but plenty of parking when you get down there.

As always as long as you clean up after your dog you won't have a problem.

Advertisement