Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSD- what is the best treatment?

• 24-06-2010 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

PTSD- what is the best treatment?

I have read that Omega 3 can sort of repair the brain after psychological trauma- what does anyone here think about this (probably) controversial treatment?

I am also interested to know more about PTSD and its correlation with Borderline personality disorder or other disorders.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

You might be interested in watching this interesting hour long video on applying evidence-based practice to PTSD. They talk about cognitive processing therapy, prolonged exposure, and acceptance and commitment therapy approaches to it. It's been a few months since I watched it, but I recall it was very good, and I love the way they have the slides on the right hand side:

http://www.globalpres.com/mediasite/Viewer/?peid=1213ec7d20a74cb0abf7bc4cadb3186a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Here's the National Institute for Clinical Excellence's guidelines for treatment of PTSD.

I don't think Omega3 is necessarily controvertial.....haven't heard it mentioned at all! But then I'm a psychologist....there doesn't tend to be huge evidence for a lot of the complementary/alternative treatments.

According to JG Gunderson and AN Sabo
    "Borderline personality disorder is often shaped in part by trauma, and individuals with borderline disorder are therefore vulnerable to developing PTSD. " Many other articles saying pretty much the same thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭albeit

Thanks to both of you. How many people are estimated to suffer from PTSD in Ireland?

I don't know if there are specifically Irish stats though there may be some for NI in particular. Here are some figures but you can see that estimates vary.

Some of the symptoms of PTSD are very prevalent i.e. alcohol and drug abuse, suicide etc.

There might be a large population of undiagnosed cases, or even misdiagnosed for example learning difficulties in young people having grown up in care.

• Advertisement

Does anyone of you have some more information on PTSD in young adults having spent time in care and PTSD?

These are studies that I have already read:
    In the Casey Family Northwest Alumni Study, conducted in conjunction with researchers from the Harvard Medical School in Oregon and Washington state, the rate of PTSD in adults who were in foster care for one year between the ages of 14-18 was found to be higher than that of combat veterans. Up to 25 percent of those in the study meet the diagnostic criteria for PTSD as compared to 12-13 percent of Iraq war veterans and 15 percent of Vietnam war veterans, and a rate of 4 percent in the general population. The recovery rate for foster home alumni was 28.2% as opposed to 47% in the general population.[52][53]
    In one study (Dubner and Motta, 1999)[54], 60% of children in foster care who had experienced sexual abuse had PTSD, and 42% of those who had been physically abused fulfilled the PTSD criteria. PTSD was also found in 18% of the children who were not abused. These children may have developed PTSD due to witnessing violence in the home.

Is there any else from Ireland?

The Children's Research Centre or other child&adolescent people may be able to answer that. Alternatively, the National Counselling Service may have some idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

albeit wrote: »
    Some of the symptoms of PTSD are very prevalent i.e. alcohol and drug abuse, suicide etc.

There might be a large population of undiagnosed cases, or even misdiagnosed for example learning difficulties in young people having grown up in care.

It can be co-morbid in a lot of cases, a life of drug addiction can expose people to significant levels of trauma, we have quite a few who through their experiences whilst in addiction developed PTSD or traumatic neuroses as I would call it.

Odysseus wrote: »
    It can be co-morbid in a lot of cases, a life of drug addiction can expose people to significant levels of trauma, we have quite a few who through their experiences whilst in addiction developed PTSD or traumatic neuroses as I would call it.

I believe this to be true. The symptoms of PTSD are often very destructive and it can become a downward spiral.

I believe this to be true. The symptoms of PTSD are often very destructive and it can become a downward spiral.

I think you may be picking me up wrong [maybe not], what I'm saying is those with an addiction due to their lifestyle are more prone to encountering a traumatic experience. Some example being having a gun placed in your mouth, or rape especially for the girls who also work the street. I'n not talking about a person with a traumatic neuroses or PTSD self-medicating through drink or drugs.

Quite a few of our clients are regularly placed in traumatic situations due to their lifestyle, which increases the possibility of it becoming a pathology in and of itself.

• Advertisement

I did not really pick you up wrong, it often goes hand in hand even from the start and you may not know what came first, the chicken or the egg.

I did not really pick you up wrong, it often goes hand in hand even from the start and you may not know what came first, the chicken or the egg.

It just appears we have different viewpoints on it then.

So you are saying that PTSD can not be a cause of drug addiction. I am not saying that drug addiction can not cause PTSD (or "traumatic neurosis"), I believe it can, however I find it arrogant to suggest that the disorder could not have existed before the addiction or that it may not have contributed to the development of an addiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I think he just said you have different viewpoints on it albeit. Please respect that.

So you are saying that PTSD can not be a cause of drug addiction. I am not saying that drug addiction can not cause PTSD (or "traumatic neurosis"), I believe it can, however I find it arrogant to suggest that the disorder could not have existed before the addiction or that it may not have contributed to the development of an addiction.

As one of our mods stated, we appear to have different viewpoints on it, having to live with the world not concurring with our own opinions is part of life. Most likely in a multi-dis team different professions will have different viewpoints. Its very rare that my clinical team would all agree totally with any concept or viewpoint.

As for you "arrogant" viewpoint, well it's your opinion. I posted the above to be clear that I was coming from a different place, nothing more and that I hold a different viewpoint. I did not say it cannot be a cause, from my position most things evolve from a psychical trauma, but I'm weary around placing the traditional notion of PTSD as a the main causitive factor in an addiction. I have of course treated individuals who may fit that profile, but in my experience it's not that common, most of those I encounter developed PTSD well after their addiction due to a intense physical trauma.

Though with saying that I would not rule out your argurement, if you get through your clinical work with everbody agreeing with your position it will a very sheltered environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

As one of our mods stated, we appear to have different viewpoints on it,
    I said "I think he just said you have different viewpoints".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 thazin

Just out of interest, what is traumatic neuroses and is this disorder in the DSM IV ICD 10?

I wouldn't agree fully with this definition, but it's too late to go through references but here is a link that explains it a bit. Psychoanalysis was concerned with what was called the war neurosis http://www.answers.com/topic/traumatic-neurosis and herehttp://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1521901571.html I'll post a better more informed definition when I get a chance. This one I haven't read but know the author so it such be good http://www.psychoanalysis.ugent.be/pages/nl/artikels/artikels%20Stijn%20Vanheule/Actual%20neurosis%201.pdf

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about PTSD.
    The PILOTS database is an electronic index to the worldwide literature on post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other mental-health consequences of exposure to traumatic events. It is produced by the National Center for PTSD, and is electronically available to the public. There is no charge for using the database

I can recommend the book Trauma and Recovery by Judith Lewis Herman to anyone who is interested in finding out more about the treatment of veterans, abuse victims, and domestic violence sufferers- and the links between the symptoms of these three groups.

• Advertisement

I can recommend the book Trauma and Recovery by Judith Lewis Herman to anyone who is interested in finding out more about the treatment of veterans, abuse victims, and domestic violence sufferers- and the links between the symptoms of these three groups.

Out of interest from what viewpoint is the author coming from?

the Stockholm syndrome- prisoners of war/prisoners of family or something like that, very interesting.

Advertisement