Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting my dog down

Options
  • 24-06-2010 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

My poor dog is very sick and I think she is in pain.. Its probably best to have her put down because I dont want the poor thing going through pain.

The vet that we go to is a voluntary vet and the surgery is only open Mon,Wed, and Friday during the evening.

Im in the Dublin 12 area if anybody has any recommendations as to where I can go? And the cost..

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Hi, I'm very sorry your dog is sick. Do you mind me asking what is wrong with her?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

morganafay wrote: »
    Hi, I'm very sorry your dog is sick. Do you mind me asking what is wrong with her?

Thanks. She hasnt eatin since saturday and hasnt been herself since sunday...just moping around usually shes full of life and jumping all over you. Brought her to the vet on monday and said she either had an infection in her stomach and open wound, gave her a jab and gave us 2 other jabs we had to give her ourselves and some tablets and if she wasnt any better by wednesday bring her back over. She got sick 4/5 times on monday evening.

Tuesday and Wednesday se went down hill fast, brought her back the vet scanned her and seen spot(s) on her liver and thought it was cancer. She got 14 injections last night the poor thing but didnt as much as wimper as she hasnt got the energy to do so. The vet said if there is no improvement he recommended putting her down.

This morning she is worse...starting to wimper and just lifeless and I hate to see here like that, its awful. Like losing one of the family. So just want to put her out of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Many vets are very quick to put dogs to sleep and will often recommend it over surgery or whatever because, "you can always get another dog".

Is she an old dog or does she have a history of medical problems?

If this is a young dog ("young" depends on breed and size) or this is a condition which has come out of the blue, I would get a second opinion before you go putting her to sleep.

seamus wrote: »
    Many vets are very quick to put dogs to sleep and will often recommend it over surgery or whatever because, "you can always get another dog".

Is she an old dog or does she have a history of medical problems?

If this is a young dog ("young" depends on breed and size) or this is a condition which has come out of the blue, I would get a second opinion before you go putting her to sleep.

Yea thats what I originaly thought but when I seen her deteriorate at a rapid rate I knew there was something wrong.

We have her 7/8 years since she was a pup and she was always healthy, always full of life and a joy.

But unfortunetly she passed away earlier on...very sad but im glad the poor thing is out of pain. See will be sorely missed! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rdb666

Awww sorry to hear that Danye! At least she's not in pain anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My sympathies, Danye

rdb666 wrote: »
    Awww sorry to hear that Danye! At least she's not in pain anymore.

Thanks, thats the way im trying to look at it. Gonna tell my little sister she passed away in her sleep.
    seamus wrote: »
    My sympathies, Danye

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'm so sorry. At least she had a great life and isn't suffering now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Very sorry to hear.
    They truely are a huge loss when they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Heartfelt sympathies. xxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

You have my utmost sympathy, it is heartbreaking when you lose a member of your family

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Im so sorry to hear of your loss...its heartbreaking:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Sorry for your loss Danye , I know you feel pain and loss now but the pain will fade but you will always have the memories of happy times and they will never fade .

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Very uncool :( RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Millie wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear.
    They truely are a huge loss when they go.
    +a million!

My best buddy of 14 yrs was pts in January...miss her every single day! Its unreal how much love you can feel for your pet. I feel sorry for people who wont/cant understand the pure love and affection you get from an animal.You're lucky to understand and appreciate it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Sorry to hear, lost my fella after 10 years in January, only a dog lover can understand how unbelievably heart breaking it is. I often still cry over my fella :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Sorry to hear about your dog

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

so sorry for you , its very sad,,i hope your little sister is ok:(

Advertisement