Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus - Break Down

• 24-06-2010 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭

I was on a bus that broke down this morning on D'Olier St. Didn't seem to be anything wrong with it en route, the driver just switched it off on D'Olier and told everyone it was broken down. However that's not the point of my OP; the question that I wondered about after was that if I had paid the €1.80 fare that is required to take me to my destination; would I be entitled to a refund/partial refund? In any case I had a monthly pass so it was just the inconvienence of having to get another one that affected me but I'm interested to know what DB policy is on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

From what I remember, you are entitled to use the same ticket on another bus if the one you were on broke down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Normally they arrange for a replacement bus to pull up behind and the driver lets everyone on without taking money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

as stated above or the driver will talk to the driver of a following bus and let people on.

It could be something simple OP like a windscreen wiper being broken, they are not allowed in service if so. Was on a 46a to DL and the wiper broke on York road, so driver continued to station radioing depot. They said just finish route and report back to depot but had it been mid route I'm sure they would have stopped bus and got a replacement.

Could have been lights either or even a mirror coming off its mounting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

You would have needed to talk to the driver and get some form of ticket because if you walk into dublin bus and request a refund with no proof...needless to say, you won't get anything.

Furthermore, I was on the bus into town today and I sat down near the back beside a black guy. From Dorset st. to Trinity college he kept scowling at me. I thought there might have been a mark on my face but he just kept looking. Then another black guy got on the seat across from us. The guy sitting beside me then got up and sat beside the other black guy. They didn't talk or look at each other. It was a serious WTF moment.

Has that ever happened to anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Brendog wrote: »

No I don't suffer from paranoia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Generally you would just switch to another bus - the driver would have a word with the second bus driver and you certainly don't pay a second fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Brendog wrote: »
    You would have needed to talk to the driver and get some form of ticket because if you walk into dublin bus and request a refund with no proof...needless to say, you won't get anything.

Furthermore, I was on the bus into town today and I sat down near the back beside a black guy. From Dorset st. to Trinity college he kept scowling at me. I thought there might have been a mark on my face but he just kept looking. Then another black guy got on the seat across from us. The guy sitting beside me then got up and sat beside the other black guy. They didn't talk or look at each other. It was a serious WTF moment.

I think this thread is about changing buses not changing seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

markpb wrote: »
    Normally they arrange for a replacement bus to pull up behind and the driver lets everyone on without taking money.

Indeed. And if not something similar happened to me on the number 18 at Cherry orchard hospital when it broke down. A 78a came up, stopped and let me on without having to use my swipe card or get a ticket once I had explained why. Sure he could see the 18 with hazard lights.

Id say most drivers would be nice.

Now that bus properly broke down. I thought it was really quiet when it approached the stop for me to get on. Turns out it had coasted its way there with no engine running. Then it would get going and die slowly and horribly. Happened 6 times before we got to the hospital :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Did they remove two seats and place them at the back of the bus? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Did they remove two seats and place them at the back of the bus? :p
    lol the old bombardier triangle that was seen so many times a day around Dublin for so many years!

• Advertisement

I was once on an RV-operated 78a which gave up on Thomas Street. When the driver turned the wheel to the left the engine changed tone and sounded fairly bad. Anyway, we just got on the next 78a - no need to buy a new ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ive seen a broken down Aircoach to night north bound off the blackrock bypass to night, no pax on board and Volvo service agent van, prob a tri axle. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hmmm I saw a broken down aircoach in the city centre on westmoreland st this evening. It was not a new bus though think it was 02 or 04

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Lost count of how many times buses have broken down on journeys.
    Luckily I now drive a car so reliability issues are minimal and I always turn up on time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

congo_90 wrote: »
    Luckily I now drive a car so reliability issues are minimal and I always turn up on time ;)

I'd watch that car if I was you, you seem to be terribly unlucky. I take 2-4 buses and 2 trams a day and I can't remember the last breakdown. For €10 a week, I can't complain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

As someone who takes (usually) four buses a day, I can say that in the last 12 months there was one breakdown, and that was down to a cracked windscreen caused by a stone on the road. Mechanically the fleet is as reliable as you could ask for from my standpoint as a customer.

Now back in the 1970s and 1980s I could understand that post but those days of multiple daily breakdowns are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

I've been commuting by bus from Greystones to the city centre 5 days a week for the past 10 years. That trip is probably one of the longest journeys in the entire Dublin Bus timetable.

I've experienced 2 breakdowns, both resolved within 10-15 minutes by a replacement bus turning up. That's far less time than I've lost over the same period due to ignoring the beeping fuel guage in my car, and running out of petrol. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

During the year i was on numerous 128's that broke down, general problem was the brake getting stuck on and the bus couldnt move off. When the doors had been opened. So the bus effectively got stuck at the stop with jammed brakes. Could have been that problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

markpb wrote: »
    I'd watch that car if I was you, you seem to be terribly unlucky. I take 2-4 buses and 2 trams a day and I can't remember the last breakdown. For €10 a week, I can't complain :)

My car is completly reliable. Starts everytime and a chip in the windscreen or rowdy passenger cannot stop me as I don't deal with issues like that anymore. When I say minimal I mean there is only the standard risk associated with a well maintained car e.g puncture which isn't that much of a big deal anyways.

On the buses breaking down/letting me down. I've had many threads on this about em. Most closed but that's neither here nor there. I used to have to commute from Dunboyne to Belfied via city centre.
    If the bus showed up on time it went out of service and only would go to blanch. In the last 6 months i've had 4 buses break down. I cannot begin to justify the service. Maybe I'm just unlucky with public transport.

Then again... My car paid for itself within 2 months on initial purchase v's public transport costs although petrol can shift it.

To get back on topic. When the buses did inevitably break down or the driver went out of service, we were usually transferred to another bus with no issues. Even in the rain the driver wouldn't let us sit on the bus until another arrived.

Advertisement