Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax credit card

Options
  • 24-06-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I am livid at the moment after getting off the phone to Halifax..

In April we paid the €30 stamp duty (in arrears, I know) and now, because of Halifax's decision to shut up shop here, I am hit with another €30 to close the account, to cover the current year, even though it is not my decision to close.

I know this is government stamp duty, but i am really mad that Halifax are not footing this bill for closing the account as it is their decision, not mine.

Anyone else in the same position? I really don't want to pay this €30, but also don't want to rack up interest on it if it's dead in the water...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But you knew that Halifax were closing, you also knew the card would expire now and that the €30 duty would be due for this year, so why didn't you close the account yourself at the end of March? Nothing would have been due then.

If you get another card, and can show that you've already paid the card duty for this year, then you won't have to pay it on the new one for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bazzjazz

You're absolutely right! It was sloppiness on my part to not realise that this would happen. I thought (wrongly) that the annual tax was for the calendar year.

Interesting about a new card and not having to pay the tax a second time for it though. Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Advertisement