Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Trail Runs in Dublin

• 24-06-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Im a bit bored of plodding along roads and looking for a bit of variety , lately have been running Howth Cliffs and loving it

So im looking for other trail type runs in Dublin or close to Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have a look at the IMRA site. They host regular races that will introduce you to the trails all around Dublin, Wicklow and further away. The Dublin Mountain Partnership lists trails throughout the Dublin Mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

dario28 wrote: »
    Im a bit bored of plodding along roads and looking for a bit of variety , lately have been running Howth Cliffs and loving it

Dario,

Where about do you start the Howth Clift run? I do a loop that includes Strand Road (Sutton) then up Shielmartin Road and back down through st Fintans (and back to Raheny).

Do you continue on to the Martello Tower off the strand Road?

Whats the surface like, hills Bad etc???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

I do the Howth Cliffs from Sutton around the back of the Hill, via the ligh house, into Howth. Its great. The surfaces aren't smooth but its a good trail all the way. You also get some great views.

Coming back (Howth to Sutton) there's either the road route or the trail back over the hill as well so its all fun.

On the northside you can also run around Malahide Castle and/or Portmarnock for a tiny bit of off road running but there's not much more.

Wicklow has no shortage of trail runs for any ability...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Thanks for that, will give Howth a go, in the next couple of weeks. Two Half's coming up so it the Hill will have to wait.

Do Malahide on a regular basis anyway, and it easy enough, the main problem at the moment is the number of flies in the shade. Nothing worse that a mouth full of files when running hard...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

dario28 wrote: »

I love that run myself. There's also some great runs around the middle of Howth e.g. start at Howth Station and run upto Deer Park Hotel, then follow the path just to the right of the hotel and go straight uphill behind it until there's a right turn that brings you through a sort of leaf-covered tunnel all the way upto an amazing view over the golf courses. Keep going on this path all the way till you get down to the 'bog of frogs' path and then there's a steep path all the way to a peak (which is in the IMRA races) and carry on there till you get to the aerials. From there you can find a way out onto the road and join the cliff paths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

The 11-12k loop just inside the walls of the phoenix park is a great run, small bit of path here and there, but mostly on trails under trees

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

The Phoenix park is covered in trails, you can go right around the perimetre or criss-cross it however you fancy. There is also a trail on the grass of Clontarf front which will bring you to Dollymount strand and then go up to the beautiful St. Annes Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

St Anne's Park is nice as it seems you're quite local. GPS here. It's a LOT easier than the Howth Cliff Run, which is one of my favourites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Can anybody show me the howth cliff run on GPS, Map My Run or Walk Jog Run or something ?

Haven't ever really been out to Howth and hear about this run a lot, but of course dont wanna just go out aimlessly and try figure it out by myself or who knows where i'll end up

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Can anybody show me the howth cliff run on GPS, Map My Run or Walk Jog Run or something ?

Haven't ever really been out to Howth and hear about this run a lot, but of course dont wanna just go out aimlessly and try figure it out by myself or who knows where i'll end up

Thanks

Here's a link to mapmyrun Howth trail runs.

The Imra website has maps of its Howth race, start from just off the GAA pitch.

But the best runs are found in the Dublin mountains, starting from behind Marlay Park, or Three Rock Mountain, or Enniskerry (all can be accessed by regular bus). Lots of trails of various difficulty, all waiting to be discovered. Good hunting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

Down in Glendalough by the second lake, there is a trail called the Sphinx. I love it. Its railway sleeper steps all the way up and most of the way down, then it turns into rocks (so be careful)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

But the best runs are found in the Dublin mountains, starting from behind Marlay Park, or Three Rock Mountain, or Enniskerry (all can be accessed by regular bus). Lots of trails of various difficulty, all waiting to be discovered. Good hunting!

Hey,

What is the best way of finding these? Just go out for a wander or is there any foolproof trails?

Thanks,

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

mprop wrote: »
    Hey,

What is the best way of finding these? Just go out for a wander or is there any foolproof trails?

Thanks,

Mike
    :D I really want to say just go for a wander, but I don't know what your orienteering abilities are like, and it's easy to get lost on any mountain/forest. Have a look on the imra site, or the links from Krusty's post above.

There are "foolproof" (waymarked) trails, including the Wicklow Way and some other newer ones too. Here's a link for bus services to some of the trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

The Bray-Greystones cliff walk is always a nice one - it's about 6-7km, mostly flat. Bit overgrown at the moment so I'd recommend long sleeved top and tights, otherwise nettles are a bit of a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

I run up by the Hellfire Club the odd time. Nice trail, no chance of getting lost and you can get about 3.5 miles out of a loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Check out the IMRA Plod half marathon in July. Starts in Marlay Park, and takes in some of the neighbouring mountains and hills on trail runs (some road/park running involved). Lovely route. Thread on it here, and more info here. Sign up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

cwgatling wrote: »
    I run up by the Hellfire Club the odd time. Nice trail, no chance of getting lost and you can get about 3.5 miles out of a loop.

Good little loop though only do my hill reps up here need to start doing my runs on that course

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

with everyone looking for a garmin file of possible routes, why don't people not just pick a trail, run along it for half the distance they intend to run, then just follow the route on their garmin back to where they started??

Or pick up a new East West map of wicklow, pick a trail and just run

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.87

Hey all, where can I find a map of the phoenix park trail? I have a 15km cross country trail to do Friday 29th August and Phoenix park is handy for me to get to... I have run in the park before but only on the pavements

Advertisement