Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shields up, phazers to stun

Options
  • 24-06-2010 10:11am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The zealots on the A&A forum are widening their gaze and have grumpily targeted those irresponsible pesky child-like neo pagans who run around setting fire to things and leaving their litter behind at the nations engineering and cultural monuments (but not religious monuments, our ancestors couldn't have built religious monuments, Science forbid!).

Have a giggle read here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

why not ocme over and talk to us :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

why not ocme over and talk to us :)

"Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly" ;)

I'd be as welcome as I would be in the Christianity forum. We have diametrically opposing views and aren't going to agree on much now are we?

Besides, the thread is starting to read like an article from the Daily Mail :eek:

BTW, I don't agree with leaving tokens behind at sites, I'm not sure it's even pagans of any shade that are doing the majority of this, but rather catholics who remain superstitious.

[QUOTE=Dyflin;66570053
    BTW, I don't agree with leaving tokens behind at sites, I'm not sure it's even pagans of any shade that are doing the majority of this, but rather catholics who remain superstitious.[/QUOTE]

Thats an interesting point. I have been told by some pagans that they do and have been given out to for removing some items from trees. However it did not occur to me that some Catholics might do it. If you don't want to join in thats fine. I just thought instead of going 'haha have a laugh at these' you might want to correct any mistakes if any are made.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Why not ask on this forum instead of assuming things?

You may be interested to read the articles Contemporary Paganism and Archaeology: Irreconcilable? Sites, Sacredness, and Stories: Interactions of Archaeology and Contemporary Paganism and Sacred Sites, Contested Rites/Rights: Contemporary Pagan Engagements with the Past. All form the excellent http://www.sacredsites.org.uk/ site.

Your posts come off as rants TBH and with little research or context.

I have always thought it widely known that the travelling community are the main culprits for "raggy trees"? But obviously not.

Firstly are you sure you're not describing it as a rant because you don't agree.
    Second I will have to ask my gf who is a member about the travelling community claim as she is a traveller and I have never heard anything about these from her or her family relating to litter on trees at megalithic monuments.

Thirdly, I was a practicing pagan for years so I am not coming from a point of complete ignorance.

Fourth, reading through some of the links you posted. Although some examples are given of Pagans working with archaeologists in reserving these sites. This illustrates a lot of what I have seen:

"Much Pagan use takes place with little knowledge of either archaeological
    interpretation, or what practices are detrimental or problematic for other users.
    In an extreme example, Peak District archaeologist John Barnatt (1997) describes
    a stone circle being “altered” by a group who apparently held that the stones
    were wrongly positioned, according to their information obtained from dowsing."

The danger comes from a revisionist attitude to history, claims that neolithic people believed in earth goddesses, folkloric interpretations of history etc. The fact is we don't know what gods the builders of the monuments believed in, what spirits or anything else. If we then make our own assumptions about what they believe and then say it gives us some right over that site, then that is wrong.
    If people take historical information and then re-work it into their own beliefs then educate others as to those beliefs (as i have seen regarding ogham, sile na gigs, stone circles etc) then that is also wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We have had guests from the A&A forum over here before, the ended up confused and wandered away again.
    Forum invasions, where a group of posters from one forum go and harass posters in another forum is very strictly prohibted on this site and forums which allow this to happen can be closed by the admins.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    We have had guests from the A&A forum over here before, the ended up confused and wandered away again.
    Forum invasions, where a group of posters from one forum go and harass posters in another forum is very strictly prohibted on this site and forums which allow this to happen can be closed by the admins.

If you interpret this as harasement then im slightly confused. An invitation followed by some discussion, thats all. However if you're not interested and instead want to point and "gigle" thats up to you. I won't be back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

My post above was just information on the histroy of interactions between the two forums and what is the stie policy on forum invasions, it was a heads up as a mod of this forum which cuts boths ways, it's not acceptable for anyone to enguage in that of carry on which includes pagans who follow Dyflin link.

The cat mods for the religion/spiritualiy cat take cross forum trolling pretty seriously and anyone who get a ban from two forums can find themselves banned for the whole catagory.

sensibleken if you wish to start a thread seperate on this one about the abuse and mis apropriation of megaithic sites by people fire ahead I think it will be an intresting discussion.

PM sent sensibleken

Advertisement