Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent! Kittens being born dead

Options
  • 24-06-2010 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm posting this off my iPhone so can't very well etc, our cats just started having kittens and there atleast one or two that aren't moving at all or making any noise.

I'm assuming they're dead? Is they anything we can do to revive them? Or is it a lost cause? I've revived puppies before but they were a few days old.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

Ring the vet. they should help over the phone or animal rescue near you?
    Did the cat mum try to clean them even when they were not moving? Try putting them into a towel and rubbing them gently.

Good luck. Hope everything goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Give them a rub to try and stimulate blood flow and breathing rub there backs..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Pick up the kittens and rub them, try to warm them up, if they're cold they'll be lifeless. The mother usually licks them vigorously to stimulate their breathing, sometimes they need an extra bit of help. They need to be really warm too, get a hot water bottle (not boiling water, just hot) wrap it in a towel and put them on it.
    Keep an eye on the mother, make sure she's not stressed.

Also ring the vet as said above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

thanks for the replies I keep checking on them, she's in a very small area and is now sitting on one of them and with her head right next to the other, I don't want to take them out cause she looks to be quite protective of them?

Also she has been cleaning them, We've had about 8 litters of kittens from our cats and this is the first time this has happened I'd rather not take the kittens out incase they are alive as this is her first litter...

I'm just gonna add this is another post, she's a first time mother and i'm afraid she'll reject them if i take them out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

She shouldn't if she's very tame, do you have a blanket or something she sleeps on? Use that or if she's a house cat something that hasn't just been washed. Pick them up with it and rub them, check them over and put back. Offer her some water and some food this might distract her, I would call the vet if she's just lying there, there could be a kitten stuck inside her, that can be very serious.

Ok I now can't see them, she's moved again, I need to go into town so I'll call into the vets if they are open and if not find a number for one.

thanks all!

Advertisement