Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever driven underneath a Jumbo Jet ?

• 24-06-2010 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭

Link

The first time it was like .. ehh .. wtf .. massive wings and engines hanging out over each side of the bridge.

Anyone else seen an Airport where the Taxi way crosses over a motorway ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

There are a few airports around the world with interesting roads/views from the road.

Singapore Changi Airport
    0957189.jpg

Gibraltar Airport - ?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ireland&ll=36.150819,-5.348861&spn=0.003994,0.007628&t=k&z=17
    gibraltar_airport_4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Jaysus ... the fella in the second picture looks like he's lost !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

It happens in ohare as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Was driving on a beach and had a plane come towards me and take off directly over me if that counts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Used to happen at Heathrow.

The BA engineering base was across the perimeter road that was open to traffic and buses etc. Aeroplanes ( incl Concorde / 747 etc ) were towed across the road often during the day with a level crossing system in place

The road was closed about 5 years ago I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Was driving on a beach and had a plane come towards me and take off directly over me if that counts

I did the same in Australia. We were told by the guide whatever you do keep driving because if you stop the plane mightn't have time to get out of your way so when i saw him coming i floored it and went underneath him! :D He probably seemed a lot closer than he actually was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

That place in Gibraltar has to be seen to be believed.
    My old man was there about 5-6 years ago and when he came back he said you have to see this bit of video I got. Wondering what the hell he was on about the video comes on looking up at a pedestrian red light. Camera pans right ...nothing just a normal junction with lots of traffic....camera pans around to the left and there is a 747 approaching very very fast!
    I was like :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In Male Airport (Maldives) you drive across the runway to get to the seaplane base. Can be interesting...

ik_male_iap_20031203-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Yes every day for 20 years I drove under the runway at Sydney airport, Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I think you pass over roads at JFK in New York if memory serves - LONG time since I've been thru there thou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Last summer i was driving down a highway near the Miramar Naval airforce base. And next thing i see a harrier jump jet in hover mode slowly making it's way over the highway at about 200feet! Drove straight under it, the noise out of it was something else, the whole car started to shake. Unbelievable.
    Harrierlarge.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Last summer i was driving down a highway near the Miramar Naval airforce base. And next thing i see a harrier jump jet in hover mode slowly making it's way over the highway at about 200feet! Drove straight under it, the noise out of it was something else, the whole car started to shake. Unbelievable.
    Harrierlarge.jpg

Awesome.
    I saw the Blue Angels once in the states. Incredible noise, speed, skill etc. Gobsmacking really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Schiphol Airpost in Amsterdam has several motorway crossings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Schiphol Airpost in Amsterdam has several motorway crossings.

Theres one crossing for the outer runway, one service road for vehicles and then the motorway goes into a tunnel and theres two runways over that i think.

Only 1 Aircraft crossing on the A4 though.

Advertisement