Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

State of roads

• 24-06-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭

Since starting to cycling a road bike have really noticed how bad the roads are especially near the curbs. Cycled from Baldoyle to Balbriggan and back last night via malahide road, malahide estuary and the old dublin belfast road and couldnt believe I didnt have a puncture with loose stones, pot holes, dips in drains and even a few uncovered drains near blakes cross which had to be swerved around. I passed a group of riders who i assume were racing from swords cc and would have though that the roads were unsuitable for racing and a good reason for someone to come off their bike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 baap86

The estuary road is a really rotten road to use. I prefer to go up the Swords road from Malahide instead. It's not much better but it's wider so your chance of death is somewhat reduced.
    I really want to cycle to work but I'm scared of cycling on the road from Kilshane Cross to Northwest Business Park/Ballycoolin area. The potholes on that road are scary when you're in the car, nevermind on a bike. Plus you've the added danger of death from speeding vehicles on that road too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

the roundabouts put me off from swords up to the M1. Have enough trouble with the estuary roundabout and then the one at the M1/Donabate.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

I got caught rotten yesterday when a section of road I normally cycle has being chipped. Got hit twice by stones flying up from passing cars :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

Yep roads in sh£te alright.

Heres a tip though for what it's worth. Don't cycle in the gutter if you can help it. Apart from punctures etc if a car can get between you and the white line they will, and will give you very little room, but if you are a little further out and they have to go over the white line they seem to give plenty of room????? Go figure!
    I think it's the same reason people walk between the two white lines of a cycle lane rather then on the PATH!!!!!:mad:

"roads were unsuitable for racing and a good reason for someone to come off their bike"

There's never a good reason to come off your bike unless it involves cake or something better?!!!!!!:)

Cheers

Velo Bro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

we in rural wexford lay claim to the worst roads in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

jwshooter wrote: »
    That is a lofty claim to be making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

They're just atrocious and pretty much the same in every built up area with the roads repeatedly dug up for services and then botched/hacked back together in the worst possible means with patches of tar 2 and 3 inches higher and lower than the actual road. Man hole and service covers then at every possible angle and sunk at various depths into the roads. Why aren't all these services under the footpaths anyway and leave any newly surfaced road unblemished? Also I thought that if you wanted to dig up a road you had to post some sort of deposit as a means of insurance that the road would be fully repaired afterwards. As in someone from the council/authorities would come and inspect the repair job and if acceptable you would get your deposit back. But then again I suppose the council are as inept at making any sort of road repairs as private contractors seem to be.
    The roads for instance in and around the phoenix park are gone to the dogs completely and pretty dangerous in parks with alot of subsidence on the military road and a generally rough and potted surface on Chesterfield Avenue. Also on the north road there's an actual on road cycle lane but yet they have severe speed bumps on this, what's the reasoning for this or are they afraid cyclists will try and break the 50km/h speed limit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

jwshooter wrote: »

Pictures please!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Pictures please!

I second jwshooters claim, Wexford roads are bad but better than they were in February.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

I was think the same thing. I am considering seeking legal advice from a relation regarding my new road bike. I hit two bad holes in the road and this has caused my rear wheal to become buckled. The road through the Harolds cross and rathmines is littered with holes. I think the council should be held responsible.

I hit one in Harolds cross it made me hit into the curb, its a disgrace that they cant fill these in.

• Advertisement

Ok after doing a small bit of research I have learned that in some cases the council can be liable. EG would be a large pothole in the cycle lane, where it would be too dangerous to pull out into traffic.

This seams to be a good link, im just annoyed because my new bike is now damaged because of two large potholes in the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

Have you contacted the council and notified them of the potholes? Generally they'll fill them in if they know they're there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Urbanfrog.ie

bcmf wrote: »
    That is a lofty claim to be making
    Take a look @ Blackhorse Avenue- My kids should be cycling to school- just can't take that chance-seen better roads in wilds of India!!!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Just in case anyone has it on weekend plans I think you should know the following. Around Blessington lakes has been pretty bad since the winter but they held off doing anything until after the W200. Well straight after they did and they filled in and resurfaced a lot of it. Problem is its gravel and not tar. The council have actually said they are not going to do anything more with it so its like that for the next year. 3 punctures it cost me at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

buffalo wrote: »
    Have you contacted the council and notified them of the potholes? Generally they'll fill them in if they know they're there.

As in they'll come with some tar and chips and flatten with the back of the shovel leaving either a massive rise or dip in the road? Why can't they actually makes the repairs flush with the road and leave a smooth road behind. Years of these so called repairs have left our roads like a series of craters unfit for any sort of transport.

We could post pics a full locations of bad ones we all find on our travels. What do people think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Isn't there already a dedicated website for this- potholes.ie or something like that?

Here it is: http://www.potholes.ie/

As in they'll come with some tar and chips and flatten with the back of the shovel leaving either a massive rise or dip in the road? Why can't they actually makes the repairs flush with the road and leave a smooth road behind. Years of these so called repairs have left our roads like a series of craters unfit for any sort of transport.

we have that so bad around hear ,from enniscorthy to caim ,killanne rathnure the centre of the road in places is the only place to cycle .

the co council spent two days filling pot holes at the still pond just out side enniscorthy ,10+ men vans ,rollers the works tuesday and wedesday they done a small stretch it rained tur and there wes pot holes in it by friday again .

they filled the holes with 8o4 and sprayed tar on them .what a waste of time and money .they came back a week later and filled them again .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

after the cycle i did up the old belfast road on wednesday night i would have spent more time taking photos of holes and bad surfaces then on the bike. Id love to hear what the swords guys who were racing up there at the same time thought of it or is just natural at this stage for them

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

For example:
    - lanes full of gravel and other detrius (Goatstown)
    - "non-slip" surfaces completely shattered and lying around in the lanes like cement pancakes with sharp edges (between East Point and the East Link bridge)
    - etc. etc.

And that's not even getting into the fact that most cycle lanes disappear just when you need them most.

I mean, fair play to the Dublin councils for putting them there in the first place, but surely they could actually clean and repair then once in a while.

• Advertisement

and where is your green minister at the moment ,trying to ban a 200 year pass time to make himself look good ,the twat .

this country is in a bad way for a election .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

buffalo wrote: »

Try potholes.ie - A nasty hole on Milltown Rd in Dublin got fixed within a few days of me reporting it on that site.

Advertisement