Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 killed by high speed train while crossing the tracks near Barcelona.

Options
  • 24-06-2010 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

At least 12 people have been killed after a high-speed passenger train ran into a group of youths crossing railway tracks at a station in northeastern Spain.

A further 13 were also injured in the accident at the Castelldefels Playa station near Barcelona.

The station did have a pedestrian underpass but the group crossed the tracks at an unauthorised spot because of the crowds on the platform

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/10399126.stm
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

anyone who posted here want to revise their views?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055931194

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

from that thread...
    there's no accounting for idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I guess it's one way to improve the overall intelligence of the Spanish population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

First in the group catagory for the Darwin Awards.

Anyone who uses these lines should know that there is frequent Altaria traffic between BCN and the south.

I pity the driver who will have this on his mind for the rest of hs life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Anyone who uses these lines should know that there is frequent Altaria traffic between BCN and the south.

they were arriving for a festival - they may never have been in the station before.

Also if there were so many people on the platform and at the underpass it suggests some crowd control measures and security should have been in place - there will always be a temptation for people to shortcut across the lines in those circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

people follow like sheep...if they see others doing they assume its OK to follow. My sympathy to their families and the driver and others present.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

loyatemu wrote: »
    they were arriving for a festival - they may never have been in the station before.

Also if there were so many people on the platform and at the underpass it suggests some crowd control measures and security should have been in place - there will always be a temptation for people to shortcut across the lines in those circumstances.

Very true. Also it was on a suburban rail line so it's possible they didn't know there were high speed inter-city trains there.

It's so tragic. Some of the reports are horrifying. From it sounded like rocks being crushed to limbs flying everywhere. Horrible.

People in Spain and Italy are a lot more complacient when it comes to railway trespassing, I have seem people in both countries hopping over level crossing barriers, crossing tracks from platforms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Poor Kids :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

loyatemu wrote: »

I don't understand how 13 people got wiped out...I mean how much time do you need to see or hear a train coming? You've only got to move a max. of 3 feet to get out of the way...were they drunk or just so concentrated on following those in front that they just didn't bother looking (in which case, seriously, how bloody stupid can you get).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i imagine they were in high spirits moving along in a group and didn't even stop to think about safety. What a tragedy.

sdonn wrote: »
    I don't understand how 13 people got wiped out...I mean how much time do you need to see or hear a train coming? You've only got to move a max. of 3 feet to get out of the way...were they drunk or just so concentrated on following those in front that they just didn't bother looking (in which case, seriously, how bloody stupid can you get).
    You don't hear these trains coming, they are electric and virtually silent until they are on top of you apart from the horn which would have been useless giving the amount of time to clear the track. traveling at 90 MPH, curvatures in the tracks, another train obscuring its vision, having to hop up on the adjacent platform, and being 11.30 at night I guess many of them would have had drink on them.they hadn't a hope.

Advertisement