Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tunnels & over-height vehicles - I saw a truck set off alarms and continue through!

Options
  • 24-06-2010 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I was driving through the Jack Lynch Tunnel in Cork last night and a supercube (extra high) recycling truck set off the over-height alarms just ahead of us.

The signage couldn't have been much clearer. The red X's came on over the tunnel lanes and the over-height DIVERT and arrows etc started flashing up.

The truck completely ignored it and just continued on through!

I contacted the tunnel management building this morning and gave them the time etc so they can examine CCTV.

The only suggestion that I have that could make it more effective would be to install normal traffic lights at the tunnel mouth on the Dunkettle side and just after the Mahon Point fly-over on the other side.

If an over-height truck is detected, these should go red and diversion and remain so until the truck diverts accordingly as per electronic signage.

I really don't think however there's any excuse for ignoring the signs! They really were VERY VERY clear.

Luckily, no damage was done last night, but if he had been a few mm higher, we could have had a tunnel closure and possibly injuries if lights, cameras, fans, or other ceiling-mounted equipment had been damaged and rained down on motorists behind him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the solution is a big f*ck off bar across the road before the tunnel, maybe even with spikes coming down to give a nice acoustic warning (gouge lumps out of) any over height trailers that ignore the height restrictions.

If its a choice of damaging a trailer in order to stop it damaging the tunnel at the taxpayers expense, then so be it.

Theres a turn back loop over the entrance of the tunnel so there is no need for any truck to continue on to the tunnel after the warnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I was quite shocked that he just continued on through. We actually stopped at the tunnel mouth because the lane lights were showing red Xs and I really didn't want debris landing on the windscreen.

The other simple solution is a HUGE penalty for ignoring the signs / alarms.

i.e. maybe a €10 grand fine or something + large dose of penalty points.

Stick a few sign posts up in English, Irish and possibly Polish stating that anyone who breeches these height limits will be fined €10,000 and that the area is monitored by CCTV 24/7/365.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I assume there is continuous monitoring of these tunnels from a control room somewhere? If so, I'm surprised that he wasn't reported by the tunnel operators to the Gardai and stopped at the exit or whenever was convenient.

Yeah you'd think so...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

The Blackwall tunnel in London has all of the suggestions. Warnings, followed by traffic lights, followed by low hanging "drop bars" (not a solid bar, but enough to do serious damage to anybody stupid enough to ignore the first two).

The lights are linked to a control room who will happily tell all of the other drivers affected that if they do not get out and "force" the truck onto the over-height off slip, they will be staying there for a very long time as well!

This happened about two years ago in the Jack Lynch and the driver tore off all of the roof lights! The bill was sent to the trucking company...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There has to be follow up penalties for this. The driver should lose his HGV licence, which might give pause for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,220 ✭✭✭✭phog

Perhaps, just perhaps he knew the margin of error between the warning detectors and the actual tunnel clearance and kept going becasue he was confident that wouldn't hit/damage the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

Op why didnt you contact the gardai with the details:confused:.

I have trucks and drive them and if one of my drivers done this i would sack him on the spot. Its pure stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Perhaps, just perhaps he knew the margin of error between the warning detectors and the actual tunnel clearance and kept going becasue he was confident that wouldn't hit/damage the tunnel.

I would have assumed the same - the guy probably goes through the tunnel regularly and knows that he can make it. Still no excuse though - if he's over the limit he shouldn't get to use the tunnel.

freighter wrote: »
    Op why didnt you contact the gardai with the details:confused:.

I have trucks and drive them and if one of my drivers done this i would sack him on the spot. Its pure stupidity.

We were more worried about getting away from the back of the truck and his license plate was illegible !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭gogs2006

I work in the transport industry and this particular problem with High Cube Waste trailers has been discussed in transport circles.

The problem is not with an overheight trailer or a careless driver but is in fact caused by the security netting used to cover the trailer.

When the vehicle is moving the netting moves in a ripple effect and rises above the top of the trailer causing the alarms to activate.

Insecure or damaged netting can cause havoc with these alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

gogs2006,
    But presumably such netting if it rises enough to set off alarms could as easily catch on some tunnel fittings above the lorry if it similarly flew up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

And shouldnt the netting be properly fixed down anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭gogs2006

Zoney wrote: »
    gogs2006,
    But presumably such netting if it rises enough to set off alarms could as easily catch on some tunnel fittings above the lorry if it similarly flew up again?

There is a very high risk of insecure or damaged netting catching on fittings in the tunnel.
    Theres no excuse for the use of damaged or badly fitted nets but unfortunately due to the nature of waste transport,damage to these nets is inevitable.

Diverting from the tunnel is the only sensible solution

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

gogs2006 wrote: »
    There is a very high risk of insecure or damaged netting catching on fittings in the tunnel.
    Theres no excuse for the use of damaged or badly fitted nets but unfortunately due to the nature of waste transport,damage to these nets is inevitable.

Diverting from the tunnel is the only sensible solution

What sort of idiots have we in this country that they did not build the tunnel high enough to accommodate these trucks to begin with? Didn't they similarly screwup with the Port Tunnel? They are very common in Germany those trucks are!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stinicker wrote: »
    What sort of idiots have we in this country that they did not build the tunnel high enough to accommodate these trucks to begin with? Didn't they similarly screwup with the Port Tunnel? They are very common in Germany those trucks are!

Actually, I understand the height limit is lower in Germany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Limit is in fact 4m in Germany.
    Limit just recently defined in Ireland at 4.65m, no limit before this.
    The onus is on the driver to know their route where to avoid.
    Many cases where you see bridges hit are tipper bodies that are still in the up position or forklift masts on low loaders that are still extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I do not why they do not have a set large set of poles with a bar across the poles with the right height. It will be far cheaper and easy maintenance for repair rather than having CCTV and Traffic lights to prevent oversized trucks etc from passing under any bridge or enter tunnels. It easy to place it on the road entrance and again 4 to 10 metres from the Tunnel/Bridge.

Advertisement