Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing my headset - Help!

• 24-06-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

The headset on my roadbike is knackered and needs replacing. It's a 1" threadless Cane Creek.
    I went to the LBS and got a new headset but the one they gave me is about twice the height of my old one.

If I install this new headset, will it not alter the geometry of my frame, increasing the ride height at the front of the bike and so increasing the rake and wheelbase length? The frame cups on the new set are about 15-20mm in height compared to around 10mm on my original set. The guy in the shop said the only difference the height of the new one will make will be that I'll have to use fewer spacers under the stem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Only the lower cup will affect the geometry, and even then not by much. You can leave a spacer off the top to accommodate the upper one.

15-20mm outside the frame sounds enormous though. The bearings must be huge. What model headset is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

The new one is taper roller, the brand is Rudelli.

Looking at it again now, lower cup is about 12-13mm outside the frame, upper cup is easily 20mm.

My old lower cup (although I don't have them in front of me) was about 7-8mm with a little more than that on the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Never heard of that brand but it'll probably be fine.

Sounds like the lower cup only extends 5mm more than the old one - I can't imagine that having a significant effect on your bike's geometry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

What bike are you fitting the headset to?
    There are still a few 1" headsets for sale http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category-Headsets--1-Ahead-586.htm if you're not happy with the Rudelli

Bike is a Dawes Discovery 701. The new set looks really huge and bulky compared to my old one.

• Advertisement

OK, have you removed the old headset? The likelihood is that it contains cartridge bearings which can be easily replaced.

Yeh I've removed the old headset. It had steel caged ball bearings. The cages had broken up with the rust. Races were fairly pitted from the rust also. I'm just looking for a direct replacement, but I'm getting bogged down in stack heights, integrated, semi-integrated, etc.

Have a look here http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

You'll need to remove the bearing cups and crown race, fit the new cups and race and then reassemble the headset. It can be done at home using makeshift tools, I've done it, but you may feel after reading Park Tools that it would be easier to have a bike shop do it for you. Or, there's Mr Skeffington http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055611674 who has received nothing but praise on Boards.

As I said, I've already removed the old headset. My problem is finding a suitable replacement

Advertisement