Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing cableing on Sky dish

• 24-06-2010 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭

A genius builder has managed to cut the cable connecting my sky dish to my receiver while working on my house. Could someone confirm:
    (1) What is the spec of the cable needed to connect the skydish to receiver and could you recommend where I can purchase it?
    (2) Is it OK to run the cable along the outside of the house and in through a vent rather than running it through the attic and down through two ceilings (i.e is the cable weather proof or is there a higher spec one I can purchase)
    (3) How does the cable connect to the skydish, do I need any special tools to connect it?
    Finally I plan on replacing my skybox with a free to air box, if the dish is set up to receive sky channels will I have to alter the direction the dish is facing to recieve the free to air channels
    Thanks in advance
    EH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

(1) What is the spec of the cable needed to connect the skydish to receiver and could you recommend where I can purchase it?

RG-6 cable will be fine. You can get it from a local electrical trade shop.

(2) Is it OK to run the cable along the outside of the house and in through a vent rather than running it through the attic and down through two ceilings (i.e is the cable weather proof or is there a higher spec one I can purchase)

All cable is designed to work inside and outside. No problem going through the vent.

(3) How does the cable connect to the skydish, do I need any special tools to connect it?

No special tools needed. If you can reuse the f connectors on the old cable. If not you can get them from an electrical trade shop.

Finally I plan on replacing my skybox with a free to air box, if the dish is set up to receive sky channels will I have to alter the direction the dish is facing to recieve the free to air channels

The dish will work fine with any free to air box. No realignment needed.

You could also try to repair the cable. By attaching joiners onto the split cable. You would have to make sure it's waterproofed too. Might be as easy to replace the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

RogerThis wrote: »

RG-6 cable will be fine. You can get it from a local electrical trade shop.

CT100 spec cable would be a better option. See this article. Should be available locally (depending on your location) from either an electrical trade outlet or local tv/sat shop. Also available on-line locally from satellite.ie or freesat.ie or saortv.com for example (hope I didn't leave anyone out ;))
    How does the cable connect to the skydish, do I need any special tools to connect it?

No special tools needed. If you can reuse the f connectors on the old cable. If not you can get them from an electrical trade shop.

If a twist-on type f-connector was used it should be possible to reuse it unless it's a crimp-on use-once type. This article will show you how to fit an f-connector.
    You could also try to repair the cable. By attaching joiners onto the split cable. You would have to make sure it's waterproofed too. Might be as easy to replace the cable.

To repair/join a cable see here and here.

Advertisement