Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor rabbit

Options
  • 24-06-2010 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

Had the misfortune of discovering what would happen if rabbit met dog this morning :( One of the young ones got out of their pen and was met by the younger of the 2 dogs!

Very sad :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

That's so sad :( Unfortunately it's just in a dog's nature, what a sad thing to happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Sorry about the rabbit :(
    Now I think your best bet would be to fix up the pen so it doesn't happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sorry to hear that. What kind of pen is it perhaps we could suggest something stronger/rabbit escape proof to prevent it from happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Thanks all for the concern.

Pen is a 6 sided wire one with a net that goes on top. There are 6 hooks on the net to keep it in place. The cage it self also has pegs to secure it to the ground.

We have added extra ties onto it now to ensure the netting is in place with no gaps around it. This is how the rabbit got out. We have a little log tunnel in the pen also for some shelter and this has been moved to the middle of the pen so it is harder to get out.

This way there are no gaps in the netting and no easy way of getting up to probe for weak spots.

I always thought those ones with wire on top look a little unsafe, was thinking cats could get in, but someone I know who has one told me that if the wire is on really tight then it's secure. It wasn't your fault anyway, just an accident. No matter how careful you are, sometimes they can get out. My old rabbit used to dig out or chew her hutch that was attached the the run, and I've had guinea pigs get underneath their run, but luckily the cats and dogs didn't get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Netting isn't great for rabbit cages, it can be flimsy.
    You'd be better off with a 1/4 inch aviary wire that you can nail on with staples if you need access to the top making a wooden framed door would give you access to it.

Have you a pic. of the pen itself finding it hard to picture it in my head.
    Bottom of outdoor pens should be wired as well, I used to think the wire on the bottom may hurt their paws but guinea pigs and rabbits do fine on it and the grass can grow up through it. As long as they have plenty of platforms to rest on and they have access to a hutch/shelter house area.

It was an accident of course.

But there should be no room for chance esp. now. Sometimes critters escape and are found no problem but if you have dogs/cats in the area security needs to be stepped up. I know one of my dogs especially would love to get her teeth into a rabbit or guinea so our run is very secure and the dogs aren't out when any visiting rabbits or guineas are.

I've tried lots of different housing over the years and the best one was one we made ourselves. It's a large wooden frame with avairy wire top, sides and bottom with the door access at the top big enough to climb in to which has locks and avairy wire on it. It was actually cheaper than any run in the shops and 6 feet long. We have a larger one that we used to use as well thick timber is heavy and strong so dogs haven't the strenght to knock it over and rabbits/guineas would take a very long time to make a dent in the timber through chewing.

I did get one of those black metal pens from Argos and have tried those silvery ones with the green netting both only for indoor though as neither are suitable for outdoor use way too flimsy.

I have wooden framed runs for my guinea pigs, with metal bars as opposed to wire. They're very strong and heavy. I leave them have access to them 24/7 (on concrete, not grass) and I think they'd be no problem with dogs or foxes. My dogs are only small though, so dunno if a big dog could knock them over somehow, but they're heavy.

I've heard that ones with only metal can be broken open by foxes, but I think a wooden one is probably more secure. We have an all metal one for the bunnies but my dad won't let me leave them out at night in it in case of foxes.

The ones I use are probably a bit small for rabbits
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/pens_fencing/pens_with_timber_frame/95234

but there's also this similar one that's big enough for rabbits, if you were thinking of going for one like that.
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/pens_fencing/pens_with_timber_frame/157924

And they have a new one!
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/pens_fencing/pens_with_timber_frame/184066

Advertisement