Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meeting people

• 24-06-2010 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TeddyBear7

Hello everyone,

Someone at work just said (I was slightly eavesdropping) that the "dog tracks" are a great place to meet people (ie. single men, I think she meant).
    Is this true?

I have never been to one of these myself – so have no way of judging.

Does anyone know what kind of people go to these events? Is it just people that own greyhounds? Or do other people go?
    Maybe someone has some examples of couples meeting there?

Am single myself and am tired of the usual pub scene where I have never met anyone who is even slightly close to what I would want in a husband!

Any replies much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Was only at Shelbourne Park a few weeks ago with a work.
    Great craic alright, all sorts of people there. Was a Thursady so wasn't exactly crazy busy. Have been there before a few years back when it does be packed.
    Can't say I seen any women there I wanted to chat up (except for one of the bar staff!) but that's not to say you mighten. Regardless, you'll have a great nite, the odd bet can add to the fun. It finished up at 10pm so you'd wanna make planes to head elsewhere after.

Maye your work colleague was taking about 'dogging' instead? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

According to the radio this morning, music festivals and gigs and sporting events are good places to meet people. have no idea where they got this from though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

OP maybe you are taking it all a bit seriously. Nobody I know who is married saw their OH as a potential husband or wife as soon as they meet! Just enjoy meeting people in general and making friends rather than husband hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Sebastien De Valmont

If you see a man you like go up and talk to him. It doesn't have to be at the greyhound track or the pub or anywhere else.

People usually meet through their social circle so just expand it, be open minded and fun loving and get involved in clubs, societies, charity, sport, art and other hobbies and you are sure to meet lots of men.

You could be out for a jog in the park or buying a litre of milk down in the corner shop and you could just meet someone.

You could be out for a jog in the park
    Though unless you're at the start, you may not want to then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

If you see a man you like go up and talk to him. It doesn't have to be at the greyhound track or the pub or anywhere else.

You could be out for a jog in the park or buying a litre of milk down in the corner shop and you could just meet someone.

Wow, I don't know many Irish people that would be brave! I wouldn't and my friends wouldn't (save a couple) we'd just watch from afar. I think said person might find it a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Wow, I don't know many Irish people that would be brave! I wouldn't and my friends wouldn't (save a couple) we'd just watch from afar. I think said person might find it a bit odd.

Maybe the person just meant that you could get chatting to someone for some reason in a shop etc and hit if off. I have a friend who has meet a few people this way. They didn't actually 'chat each other up' just got talking and it went from there.

Brave? What's going to happen?:D Are you going to be struck by lightening or is the ground going to open under your feet or are you actually going to end up talking to someone interesting?:)

If you go around all day without speaking to a soul you'll never meet anybody.

You could be at a bus stop and strike up a conversation with a complete randomer or in the queue at Tesco or in a bookshop or any place you can imagine and just start talking to people purely for the sake of it.

Staying an playing XBox or Farmville on Facebook is not going to help you meet people.

People aren't going to tell you to feck off unless you are talking mad stuff.

Keep it situational.

Irish people especially older people always talk about the weather because it is almost a barometer on how a person feels and their temperament.

Use your brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Irish people especially older people always talk about the weather because it is almost a barometer on how a person feels and their temperament.

Use your brain.

NO we talk about it because our country is so boring !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Staying an playing XBox or Farmville on Facebook is not going to help you meet people.

People aren't going to tell you to feck off unless you are talking mad stuff.

Keep it situational.

Use your brain.

That's a bit harsh, you don't know me. I don't use facebook, play video games nor have I ever played farmville. Its just a general opinion, it doesn't apply to everyone, but Irish people aren't the most confident nation in the world when it comes to talking to strangers. We're friendly enough to an extent.

• Advertisement

That's a bit harsh, you don't know me. I don't use facebook, play video games nor have I ever played farmville. Its just a general opinion, it doesn't apply to everyone, but Irish people aren't the most confident nation in the world when it comes to talking to strangers. We're friendly enough to an extent.

Sorry I was using "you" the same way British people use the phrase "one does" "one isn't" "one tries" etc. I was talking about generically.

Most people, regardless of nationality, are not confident talking to strangers.

Country people who live in small place where everybody knows every one else don't want other people to know their business so they are very secretive and shifty.

City folk are surrounded by people they don't know all the time and like their anonymity.

This makes it hard to meet people regardless of where you go in the world.

When people are on holiday they can let their guard down because they know word will not go back.

Advertisement