Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question 10 Applied Maths

• 24-06-2010 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

You know for question 10 in Applied Maths is it ok to solve it by finding the constant of integration and then filling in the other values.

Because I've had a look at the solutions and they all solve it by using limits. But is it ok to use the method I've outlined?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

In App Maths, any method that gets the correct answer gets the marks. I do the same as you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You can't use limits if they ask you to solve the differential equation, as limits only give you the exact solution and dont actually solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

You can't use limits if they ask you to solve the differential equation, as limits only give you the exact solution and dont actually solve it.

That's just simply not the case.

EuropeanSon is right, any method that works will do.

But also in Q10 the examiners will be familiar with both people using limits and the constant of integration.

I use the constant method for part a's and limits for part b. Now that I think of it, I am not certain why.. but anyway both are grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Messi 10

Thanks that's what I wanted to hear!

I was fairly confident that was the case alright because my teacher always said it was fine to do it both ways but I just started wondering about it when I didn't see it mentioned in the solutions or in the alternative solutions.

Just as a matter of interest does anyone know why this is the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Messi 10 wrote: »
    Thanks that's what I wanted to hear!

I was fairly confident that was the case alright because my teacher always said it was fine to do it both ways but I just started wondering about it when I didn't see it mentioned in the solutions or in the alternative solutions.

Just as a matter of interest does anyone know why this is the case?
    They don't put many alternate solutions on the marking schemes. I suppose they figure it's unnecessary, there are the same three correctors every year AFAIK and they are pretty familiar with multiple methods I'd say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement