Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a bit of horse?

Options
  • 24-06-2010 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    Anyone know any butchers around that stock or can get horsemeat?
    Ate some, loved it, want to get more.
    Cheers,
    WP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Where did you get it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

The Italian Alps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'd say there'll be a good few outlets around race week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

wet-paint wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Anyone know any butchers around that stock or can get horsemeat?
    Ate some, loved it, want to get more.
    Cheers,
    WP.

I have reported your post, as Horsemeat for consumption is Illegal in this country and you are also barbaric, when you find some op..i hope you choke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

legatti wrote: »
    I have reported your post, as Horsemeat for consumption is Illegal in this country and you are also barbaric, when you find some op..i hope you choke
    i dont eat and probably never will eat horse meat but that post was still a bit harsh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I don't think so - it's exported at least.

It might not be available locally but that is likely down to culture and not law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Could you cite the legislation banning the consumption of horsemeat for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

Xiney wrote: »

It might not be available locally but that is likely down to culture and not law.

Your right Xiney i stand corrected it is legal in this country..
    but it is barbaric, and thoose that consume it are barbaric as well.
    if that offends, its not personal, i find it highly offensive and barbaric for anyone to consume it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

if that offends, its not personal, i find it highly offensive and barbaric for anyone to consume it

Whats different about eating a horse / cow / chicken?

Just 'cause its a horse?

Time to get off your high horse :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

Xiney wrote: »

- culture also is in some African countries to castrate womens clitoris, so what you call culture is sometimes barbaric (like corrida in Spain).

"I'd say there'll be a good few outlets around race week "

-good point!

• Advertisement

the treatment of many horses in this country while they remain alive is far more barbaric, in my humble opinion.

Maja wrote: »
    - culture also is in some African countries to castrate womens clitoris, so what you call culture is sometimes barbaric (like corrida in Spain).

"I'd say there'll be a good few outlets around race week "

-good point!

the mutilation of a human being, often a child, does not compare to the slaughter and consumption of an animal, so don't even go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Can we keep to the topic of the thread, which is the availability of horse meat in Galway please?

Discussion of the pros and cons of eating horse should be taken here -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=35

/moderation

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Where do you stand on keeping horses as pets and wanging them into trailers to bring to vaudevillian paegants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

And somehow, I get the feeling you're not vegetarian.

OP, can't find any evidence that it's illegal at all - taboo perhaps since the church has denounced the eating or horsemeat in centuries gone by, but all horsemeat slaughtered in Ireland appears to be for export (and there is a considerable amount slaughtered for consumption in Ireland - what do you think happens to all the horses bred for racing that don't make the grade?). I wouldn't fancy your chances of finding any for your own consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

There appears to be only one horse butcher in Ireland, supplying the meat to markets in France and Belgium.
    Given the stink about Gordon Ramsay serving horsemeat in one of his London restaurants I'd guess it's a given that it is either unavailable or extremely hard to source anywhere in Ireland or Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

http://www.murphsbistro.com/dishes.php

Heard this guy on the radio the other morning, I believe they regularly have Zebra on the menu, might be worth trying if you are up around Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I'd say your best bet might be to find a German or Swiss Butcher. They should know where to get it.

It's very common in parts of Italy, Germany and Switzerland, and I don't think they're all barbarians :rolleyes:

I found it quite nice; a bit gamier than Beef, Pork, Chicken or any of the other animals that are more commonly eaten here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Time to get off your high horse

mmmmmm high horse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

A ha ha ****ing ha, this ****e is hilarious! Barbaric? Get ****ed, you and your barbaric.
    Cheers for the answers folks, I figure my best bet is to find a specialty butcher and see if he'd know anyone who'd know a guy, etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

evil_seed wrote: »
    mmmmmm high horse :pac:

Horse stuffed with mephedrone? mmmmm tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - It's not much use to you, but there's a great 'Pferd Metzger' (horse butcher) around the corner from me in Switzerland. I've had it a few times - the first time I didn't realise what it was & thought that it was a really tender & flavoursome steak. :)

It is very popular here & regularly features on the menu in the work restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

When I saw the title of this thread I was sure that "horse" was just a euphemism for something.

I'm disappointed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Now you're just being races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

After reading this this thread i could do with a bit of horse, charley or whizz.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

but it is barbaric

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

I will sort you out on the supersly. Drop me a pm.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Out of curiosity, is there variations in taste depending on the type of horse consumed? Would a Shetland Pony be more like veal than a big old Clydsedale? And is there enough left over for glue afterwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

Robbo wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, is there variations in taste depending on the type of horse consumed? Would a Shetland Pony be more like veal than a big old Clydsedale? And is there enough left over for glue afterwards?

In poor taste imo. A sad individual.

• Advertisement

In poor taste imo. A sad individual.
    It's genuine curiosity. There's any number of rubbish and obvious puns that could have been made here.

Advertisement