Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a bit of horse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I would say it's quite likely that the type of horse affects the taste, but I wouldn't think that the size has has much to do with it as the age, work history and diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Xiney wrote: »
    I would say it's quite likely that the type of horse affects the taste, but I wouldn't think that the size has has much to do with it as the age, work history and diet.

Presumably stallion tastes terrible and mare and foal are where its at?

Juicy, young foal chops...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

OMG!!Ponies!!!!!111

Seriously though, can those who are against the use of horses for meat please explain why it's worse than eating other delicious animals?

I'd love to try a good cut of horse, all I spotted in France the few times I was there was low quality stuff so I avoided it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

if horses are similar to cows in that way then I would expect that to be the case.

thing is, horses don't have a whole lot of meat on them to begin with, and foals have less. Still, since non-thoroughbred horses are often bred in order to have a nursing mother for a thoroughbred horse and the nurse's foal is killed, it might be better to eat these rather than have them go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Can you get free range horse meat....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

3 pages and no one mentioned.... ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

If you cook the head and leave the eyeballs in it will see you through the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

just hang around the races and wait for the donkeys to come in,
    this isnt a joke

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/feb/15/slow-racehorses-fed-to-the-lions-in-dublin-zoo/

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

legatti wrote: »
    I have reported your post, as Horsemeat for consumption is Illegal in this country and you are also barbaric, when you find some op..i hope you choke

Ridiculous statement.

Many people around the world would look down on us for eating Bacon and they're wrong too. Its just cultural and religious differences.

Das Kitty wrote: »

Seriously though, can those who are against the use of horses for meat please explain why it's worse than eating other delicious animals?

I love beef and eat it nearly every day but the thought of eating a horse disgusts me.

One reason is I follow horse racing so I look on horses like athletes not something for eating.

We also have horses at home and I used to horse ride/show jump a bit before and horses are much more affectionate animals than cattle or especially sheep which are so bloody stupid they don't have half a brain.

Horses are very intelligent.

I would liken eating horse to eating a dog or a cat.

I would hope that its not possible to find horse meat in Galway tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

I love beef and eat it nearly every day but the thought of eating a horse disgusts me.

One reason is I follow horse racing so I look on horses like athletes not something for eating.

We also have horses at home and I used to horse ride/show jump a bit before and horses are much more affectionate animals than cattle or especially sheep which are so bloody stupid they don't have half a brain.

Horses are very intelligent.

I would liken eating horse to eating a dog or a cat.

I would hope that its not possible to find horse meat in Galway tbh.

I suppose you have no problem eating pigs??

who are just as smart as dogs, if thats your argument....

So it's to do with their intelligence? Well a pig is smarter than a horse!

Plenty of people have pet pigs and sheep but wouldn't go around saying that eating pork or mutton is barbaric.

clived2 wrote: »
    I suppose you have no problem eating pigs??

who are just as smart as dogs, if thats your argument....

No I have no problem eating pigs, but pigs like the other commonly eaten animals have been bred for food for a very long time.

Horses have been bred for work, racing and some other sports like show jumping etc. They are on a different level in my mind anyway.

Spend a bit of time dealing with sheep and cattle (now breeding cows as they can be a bit more pet like but are not generally eaten) and I can gaurentee you that you will feel no affection towards them compare to horses.

Look at some of the great race horses I would have as much respect if not more for them than human athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

B&f meats in Kilkenny slaughter horses and supply cat and dog food suppliers and also ship the horse meat out for human consumption in France and other places. So really all you need is a tin of dog food and you have some horse! I ate goat curry before, tasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

OMG!!Ponies!!!!!111

I'd love to try a good cut of horse, all I spotted in France the few times I was there was low quality stuff so I avoided it.

-why dont we start eating dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Wouldn't be a first for Galway by a longshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Maja wrote: »

In some places, people *do* eat dogs. People eat seals, camel testicles and many other things that we don't necessarily eat here too.

I find the argument for not eating a horse, but eating a cow, based on intelligence a bit odd. As someone mentioned, pigs are very intelligent animals, yet bacon rolls don't seem to be causing an outrage in Galway.

For the record, I don't eat meat myself, for health and other reasons. I don't really see the difference between the types of meat you eat, and I don't call myself vegetarian either, as I eat fish. It's all up to individual tastes and comfort levels, but cow eaters calling horse eaters names is a bit pot and kettle imo.

For me it's more about respect for where food comes from. I have way more respect for my friends who raise and slaughter their own animals, versus people who go all gooey eyed over baby lambs, but get revolted by the idea of raising and killing one, yet would happily buy it all packaged and nice in Tescos.

Tbh, the fact that the OP really has a desire to find this, probably makes us think about where we get our meat from a bit more. You'd probably have a better chance of knowing its origins too. And if it's less wasteful to eat a foal as Xiney said, then that should be ok. If you have a problem with it, then examine the horse racing industry, not the meat eating, as the animal is going to be killed anyway.

If they are humanely farmed and slaughtered and are tasty I'm there.

If they are humanely farmed and slaughtered and are tasty I'm there.

-dogs, farmed and slaughtered... nice :eek: -there is no such a thing like "humanely slaughtered"!

"In some places, people *do* eat dogs. People eat seals, camel testicles and many other things that we don't necessarily eat here too."

-thanks for enlightening me! :rolleyes: ,but I know all this and it doesn't change anything! People do lots of cruel and stupid staff and even if you call it "tradition" is wont change my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I really feel for you. All those hindus blockading the Tesco meat section and calling you a disgusting barbarian must get very tiresome when you fancy a slice of tasty cowflesh. Their deeply held and ancient beliefs can go suck it, right? Right?

Horse is quite nice. If it were easier to obtain I'd eat it reguarly. Good luck with the search Mr.Paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

kodute wrote: »
    Presumably stallion tastes terrible and mare and foal are where its at?

Juicy, young foal chops...

Juicy young foal chops - Clops - Mmmmnnnnn :)

I think all you people dont understand close relation which could happen between horse and human. I dont like the idea of killing any living creature, but sorry -you dont ride pigs, you dont go for a walk with your cow!!! Every farming animal has some task - cows give milk, pigs meat, dogs herd sheep and horses are for riding them and they used to pull a cart. What all those animals get back from us for their sacrifice? Horses are our friends -you dont eat your friends!

But it's ok to force them to run round and round an oddly shaped field where they're not allowed to stop to eat the grass while carrying a midget who hits them with a stick for our amusement?

I'm kinda getting mixed signals from the horse folks here.

Sarky wrote: »
    But it's ok to force them to run round and round an oddly shaped field where they're not allowed to stop to eat the grass while carrying a midget who hits them with a stick for our amusement?

-no, its not ok and I dont like it (and all glamour people around either) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

I think all you people dont understand close relation which could happen between horse and human. I dont like the idea of killing any living creature, but sorry -you dont ride pigs, you dont go for a walk with your cow!!! Every farming animal has some task - cows give milk, pigs meat, dogs herd sheep and horses are for riding them and they used to pull a cart. What all those animals get back from us for their sacrifice? Horses are our friends -you dont eat your friends!

A Mr.Ed fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

legatti wrote: »
    Your right Xiney i stand corrected it is legal in this country..
    but it is barbaric, and thoose that consume it are barbaric as well.
    if that offends, its not personal, i find it highly offensive and barbaric for anyone to consume it

I'm a long-time vegetarian and I have to say I find the double-standards in this hilarious. If you care that a horse is killed and eaten, why not a cow or a pig or a sheep? What's the difference? I mean a cow isn't as smart or maybe as sensitive as a horse but it's the same barbarity that's need to kill and eat them as for a horse. I think maybe you've just absorbed the norms of your culture without thinking it through. I mean if you were Jewish or Muslim you would likely find eating pork to be abhorrent but if not you're probably okay with eating pork. For me if you're willing to eat one animal, what's the difference in eating them all?

Sarky wrote: »

Horse racing is a fantastic and the people involved and who follow it have the up most respect for the horses they are the hero's in the sport.

Horses like racing, if they dont want to run they wont as you would see rarely when the horse will not move and is withdrawn from the race.

The whip argument is pointless, for a start their use is limited by the rules and secondly a horse is a big strong animal a whip is little more than a reminder.

A horse is able to withstand a kick from another horse, a kick from a horse almost always results in broken bones form a person, compare the force of a horse kick to a whip and you will see my point.
    spoonface wrote: »
    What's the difference? I mean a cow isn't as smart or maybe as sensitive as a horse but it's the same barbarity that's need to kill and eat them as for a horse. I think maybe you've just absorbed the norms of your culture without thinking it through. I mean if you were Jewish or Muslim you would likely find eating pork to be abhorrent but if not you're probably okay with eating pork. For me if you're willing to eat one animal, what's the difference in eating them all?

Because sheep, pigs and cows are bred bred for food and thats the way its always been, while horses worked to help farmers, to help people travel, as pets and for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I wish the guy who writes 27bslash6.com would reply here...

None of what you said makes a horse any less tasty, alas. I'm just trying to be objective here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Maja, are you a vegetarian yourself? If you are, I can understand a *bit* more, but to be honest, I can't agree with your argument. One could reapply that logic to people for a second, and instantly you have a justification for killing. It's ok to kill people, but not ok to kill people who are *your friends*. Ok, a bit of a wild comparison to some, but not a huge leap in logic for me.
    And sacrifice? What about the cows who sacrifice their lives for meat, or their bodies for milk, and in mass dairy production, have shltty lives.

I'm sorry, it's a double standard. It's like its ok to kill the stupid and ugly, but my oh my, don't kill the pretty ones??

Don't kill the endangered, don't be cruel, take what you need. Don't eat meat if you feel eating it is wrong or not necessary. We all have choices. Support sustainable farming, support organic and cruelty free farming, eat local produce. Choices.

*IF* I were a meat eater, I would way prefer a person who raised an animal, nurtured it, and then had the balls to slaughter it, rather than someone who thought of it as stupid and useless (if they thought of the actual animal at all) before tossing it into their basket in the Supermarket. Respect for food, all food (whether a lettuce, chicken, cow, horse, whatever). We are disconnected enough from what we eat as it is.

Advertisement