Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgusting Bin Situation.

Options
  • 24-06-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

This feels like such a silly question, but what is the best way to clean a bin, as in the outside bin the bin man empties?

When we moved into this house we had a bit of an issue, as the bin men didn't collect the bins for a week. The bin was already full when we moved in from the students that lived here before us. The bin men collected it today but the thing still really really smells. I usually have quite a strong stomach but opening the bin is awfully sickening.

This would happen a week that looks unlikely to rain :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

You can either wash it out with water and disinfectant or use something like this to kill the smell: http://www.jeyes.co.uk/jeyesfluidFDP.htm.
    It works really well and you should be able to pick it up in any supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

hot water & bleach / disinfectant

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

iceman777 wrote: »
    You can either wash it out with water and disinfectant or use something like this to kill the smell: http://www.jeyes.co.uk/jeyesfluidFDP.htm.
    It works really well and you should be able to pick it up in any supermarket.

I use something similar from Tesco, works well!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Use a stiff-bristled deck brush and a mop to scrub the inside, you'll save time and effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Call up one of those bin cleaning companies if you can spare the cash, no idea how much they charge or anything like that. Would get a good cleaning, professionaly done and all the rest.

That or thick bleach, scrub it down with a hard bristle brush, let it settle for a while and then rinse :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Wheelie Bin Cleaning

Maybe try these folks? Seems reasonable enough, I've never used them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If it was me I'd just dump a bottle of thin bleach in there with a kettle of boiling water, let it sit for about an hour and use an old mop (that you plan on throwing out) to wash it.

then just dump it down the outdoor drain that is next to most kitchens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Xiney wrote: »
    If it was me I'd just dump a bottle of thin bleach in there with a kettle of boiling water, let it sit for about an hour and use an old mop (that you plan on throwing out) to wash it.

then just dump it down the outdoor drain that is next to most kitchens.

I tried this myself and found it really hard to get all of the water out of the bin, maybe I'm just a weakling though, I couldn't tip the thing over for long enough :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

why not just stand it on its opening leaning up against a wall for a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

I clean the indoor bin if it's messy in the bath. Fill it with water and either all purpose cleaning fluid or/and bleach. Use a toilet use or deck brush to scrub the sides. Tip it down the drain and rinse very well. Leave to stand upside down til the waters drained and use kitchen towel to dry. Spray the bath after with disinfectant and rinse off. Use scalding hot water in the bin.

Always delighted with life after it... maybe i'm a weirdo lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

A friend of mine lives in an esate, where a few kids go around with a hose and will clean them for a fiver or something. Keep an eye out - you might find someone.

Advertisement