Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiation on advertised rental price?

Options
  • 24-06-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Looking to rent a 2 bed in Dundrum/Milltown/ Blackrock area in August, there appears to be quite a few two beds being advertised and was wondering what scope there is for negotiation on rental price?

If a property is advertised for €1200, what is the likelihood of a landlord accepting something in the region of €1050 or €1100, would they be more receptive to a request for new furniture, touch up of paintwork?

Any help/advice grateful.

tyres

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

tyres wrote: »
    Looking to rent a 2 bed in Dundrum/Milltown/ Blackrock area in August, there appears to be quite a few two beds being advertised and was wondering what scope there is for negotiation on rental price?

If a property is advertised for €1200, what is the likelihood of a landlord accepting something in the region of €1050 or €1100, would they be more receptive to a request for new furniture, touch up of paintwork?

Any help/advice grateful.

tyres

I recently negotiated with my landlord that he bring the rent down 100 from last year, by quoting the Daft reports on rental drops. Landlords will take what they can get away with if they're not challenged. So don't be afraid to say "I like the place but I'm looking at another place that's a bit more reasonably priced. Would you take 1100 ?". And don't be afraid to walk away from the deal. In the end there's lots of places for rent out there and if they don't offer you the discount, they could lose the same amount as the discount by not managing to rent it until a month later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

OP, drive that price down, ask them would they take 1000, if they say that;s too low then just walk away. It's not 2007 anymore, plenty and I mean plenty of apartments out there now. They will probably say "oh we have 2 or 3 people looking at that one" which may be true, but they need to give a sense of urgency so you buy, it's basic sales mate.

Before moving into our new place I asked for it to be painted, I asked things to be removed etc etc, you can make them jump through hoops these days (not saying you should) :P Our two bed apartment went from 1300 a month back in 2007 to 900 now. Almost all the apartment block is filled due to the proper prices.

Lived in a 1 bed last year for 1200 a month. Paid it because we needed a place immediately. We got it down to 1100 after about 2 months. Still overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

In a similar position, am looking at a house that's advertised at €1000 a month. It is a fab house, one off in the country. It's owned by property developer based in Dublin (it's in Tipp). What do you think the chances of getting it for €700 are? Been on daft for at least 3 weeks, wouldn't say anyone has been in to see it. Prices for this area seem to be €700 max but those houses aren't half as impressive. Would the developer jump at getting tenants in, especially if we offered to sign 2 year lease?

Advertisement