Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance for learner girl

• 24-06-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Maybe im on the wrong forum but i guess someone can help.

Any ideas what an 18 year old should pay for first time Insurance.

Its a 1.4 ford focus.

What would be the best companys to try?

What are the legalitys behind her mother insuring a second car and naming the daughter as a named driver on the other car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tipp86 wrote: »
    Maybe im on the wrong forum but i guess someone can help.

Any ideas what an 18 year old should pay for first time Insurance.

Its a 1.4 ford focus.

What would be the best companys to try?

What are the legalitys behind her mother insuring a second car and naming the daughter as a named driver on the other car.

Well first of all. You should try to ring around to as many insurance brokers as possible and get as many quotes as possible. That is the only way to get a good quote. Forget online quoting systems.

As for the legality of your mother insuring your car and having you as a named driver, it's illegal. you would be the primary driver of the car, and you have effectively taken out a policy that says your mother would be the primary driver. Insurance companies do know that people do this and it can cause a lot of trouble if you are involved in an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭nhg

If its her own car its better to start off insurance in her own name as she can build up her own no claims bonus and number of years insurance, if you insure in mothers name (which is illegal) she will still have to start insurance off in her own name at some stage at high premiums. Quinn seem to be the best (for my sister anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

It could be anywhere from €1000 to €2000.
    Insurance for girls is almost half of that for guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jenna69

Hi Tipp86

I'm a learner driver, female and 40 and i paid €1126 (fully comp) for my first ever insurance 4 weeks ago. I'm driving an '01 Renault Clio, 1.2l. That was the best quote from AXA that i got after ringing around. Not sure if age is an issue but i'd say yours would be something similar, maybe slightly more. Young male drivers insurance would cost considerably more i'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

+ 1 for Axa Ladyfirst
    Zurich have a policy called Ladystar either.
    Both are decent enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

cosmic wrote: »
    + 1 for Axa Ladyfirst
    Zurich have a policy called Ladystar either.
    Both are decent enough

Somehow if any Insurance company had a "MensFirst" Policy, Women would be screaming Sexism! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Somehow if any Insurance company had a "MensFirst" Policy, Women would be screaming Sexism! :mad::mad::mad:

I concur!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jenna69 wrote: »
    Hi Tipp86

I'm a learner driver, female and 40 and i paid €1126 (fully comp) for my first ever insurance 4 weeks ago. I'm driving an '01 Renault Clio, 1.2l. That was the best quote from AXA that i got after ringing around. Not sure if age is an issue but i'd say yours would be something similar, maybe slightly more. Young male drivers insurance would cost considerably more i'd imagine.

I was getting those sort of quotes (female, 47, '01 Micra - first learner permit for a car - have full bike licence) and tried a scheme run through my union where I got fully comp plus the usual extras for €550.
    I didn't find any of those 'lady' policies were doing me any favours.

I was briefly a named driver on my mother's insurance for €38.20 - actually I still am.
    OP - it's really worth shopping around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Joe 90

If the situation is the same as the UK, you will probably find the premium going up after passing the test as the insurers assume that you may be more of a risk when you can drive without supervision so I would expect that being insured while a learner might be a comparitivly cheap way to build no claims time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I am a learner driver, 21, insured as the primary driver on a 01 Renault megane (1.4) with Quinn's insurance and I think my parents paid nearly 1300 euro. However, I did also get my bf as a named driver (full licence for about 9 years I think) which increased the cost a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I got insured (TPFT) at 18 on a 1.4 Peugeot 206. It cost €1400 with Axa. This is compared with 2500+ from other companies!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Anyone know if it is possible to get someone insured for a couple of weeks to prepare and do the test? Does it always have to be for a year?
    Do rental companies insure provisional license holders to do the test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

seosamh wrote: »
    Anyone know if it is possible to get someone insured for a couple of weeks to prepare and do the test? Does it always have to be for a year?
    Do rental companies insure provisional license holders to do the test?

You'd have to ring your insurance company and ask about getting them insured for a few weeks.
    Hire companies wouldn't touch a learner driver, outside of that, the only other option i can see is hiring your instructors car for the hour. It usually costs €120 or there abouts, but you can expect to have to get a few lessons with the instructor too, before he hands over the keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I got insured for a week to do me test, just had to ring the company. Not great value though.

Advertisement