Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE vs BBC

• 24-06-2010 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭

Anyone who has a go at the rte pundits.....at least they tell the truth, the bias here is hillarious:

RTE v BBC

Hansen: “Once England got the goal the confidence levels surged, they were excellent.”

Eamon Dunphy: “They just didn’t grow in confidence at all after the goal.”

Lineker: “The goal really settled them, didn’t it? They pushed on from there.”

Ronnie Whelan: “You’d think they’d have kicked on from when they scored, but they actually got worse.”

Roy: “England’s crossing has been absolutely outstanding.”

Giles: “Some of the crossing was just awful.”

Shearer: “Rooney looks more confident, he’s getting around the pitch a lot better.”

Dunphy: “It’s shocking to see Rooney so subdued, he’s been reduced to a shivering wreck.”

Shearer: “They look much more comfortable on the ball, they’re passing it with a purpose, with pace, they’re closing down – a much better performance, it’s encouraging.”

Giles: “They’re much better than they have been, but they couldn’t have been worse.”

No arguments, then. Second half. England held on. Full-time. Ready?

Lee Dixon: “A great performance.”

Dunphy: “Shocking . . . absolutely incredibly bad . . . pretty awful stuff.”

Hansen: “The commitment was there, the spirit was there, the enterprise was there, the creativity was there, they passed it better – they could have scored five or six quite easily. Capello will obviously be delighted with the performance.”

Giles: “If that’s the shackles off what’ll they be like when the shackles are back on?”

’Arry Redknapp: “We played with pace, we got after them, we pressed them, there wasn’t a weakness in the team.”

Dunphy: “They were astonishingly poor.”

Lineker: “He looked more like the Rooney we know.”

Ronnie: “Rooney is a major worry, his form, his body language, his demeanour, everything.”

Dixon: “Gerrard was outstanding.”

Dunphy: “I can’t believe how bad Gerrard was today.”

’Arry: “Across midfield we were top drawer.”

Giles: “Barry got worse as the game went on, Milner, Gerrard and Lampard the same.”

’Arry: “Bring it on! Whoever we play we’ll be difficult to beat.”

Ronnie: “If they don’t improve they’ll go straight out, it was a very, very inept performance.”

gotta love it!! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

There is a huge thread on F365 about this. Many English reckon we Irish are just bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well in small way we are bitter. Don't think its at England more at we not being their I think.

But lets be honest. That game was awful yesterday. Slovenia were just rubbish I have say I taught North Korea were better for 50 minutes against Portugal then Slovenia were against England.

I would not rule England out of beating Germany but if they play even twice as good as they played yesterday the Germans will win with bit to spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

we're not bitter we just no we're not a particularly good team whereas they dont know that they're not a good team

Yes England really go on result over performance media and fans wise.

I know we in sense do too I suppose, but had Slovenia scored 40 yard cracker into top corner yesterday and England got knocked out then papers would have slammed that team to no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I was flicking between the two channels for the post match analysis. It was like the BBC and RTE pundits were watching a different match. While hyperbole was abounds on both sides, I happen to think that England did enough in the game to justify their win, and their performance was superior to their previous matches. Job done, in other words. In this regard some of the criticism on RTE was harsh, I felt. But the gloss that Hansen, Hodgsen, Dixon and the rest put on an uninspired performance against a poor team was really quite strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Find myself nodding in agreement at the brute assessments of the RTE panel. BBC this year are cringe worthy.

FWIW, the RTE gang are consistent in their analysis for every team, nothing to do with being bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Don't think you can call RTE bitter for giving a fairly accurate assessment. Dunphy may go over the top with his criticism sometimes, but he was far more accurate than the likes of Shearer.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I was listening to the post match circle jerk on BBC. England were awful, yet the rubbish BBC were spouting about their excellence was ridiculous. I'll be wearing my Podolski jersey with pride on Sunday after having listened to that shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

The thing with the BBC, or ITV+Sky for that matter, is that they are under instruction to play up England, or any British and on some occasions Irish teams.

The idea is to say what their viewers want to hear and hence keep them happy and keep watching their channel. I suppose it comes down to the competition.

In RTE they are told to say what they actually think of the match-one of the reasons Souness comes over here. It just so happens that the mains lads have a bit of a miserable outlook.

I've heard people say that RTE are anti-English which is just rubbish. When Ireland do well, Dunphy and the boys generally focus on the negatives too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I taught Hansen would have more cop on, being Scottish as well, I supposed he was sucked into the hype too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,445 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

How many threads do their have to be to discuss the various TV analysis of this world cup ?

The pundits on RTE are as negative as they are towards England because that's what people want to hear.

The pundits on BBC etc are as positive as they are towards England because that's what people want to hear.

People here should get over what the BBC et al. are saying about England, what do you expect ?

If I recall back in WC 1990 there was all sorts of abuse hurled at Dunphy for suggesting that Ireland were a bad team, people did not want to hear it.

We drew 4 games and lost one and lost the run of ourselves, if England did the same in a WC we would be laughing at their fans and media for being over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The pundits on RTE are as negative as they are towards England because that's what people want to hear.

Or maybe it's because England actually played quite shít?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

if I recall back in WC 1990 there was all sorts of abuse hurled at Dunphy for suggesting that Ireland were a bad team, people did not want to hear it.

nah Dunphy never said we were a bad team in fact he thought the exact opposite, his problem was with Jack Charlton and the way he had a very skillful team playing so negatively, and I reckon he was spot on with that assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

The commentary on the BBC yesterday was the cherry on the top of such an amateur running of their WC segments. Rubbish, anyone can see England have being so so poor in 3 games and now they will expect a better performance against Germany which will happen but not with a click of a light switch will they get through.

They have a problem which has being harping back as far as Euro 2000, they don't perform as a team or a unit. They try it fit square pegs into round holes, like Eriksson, McClaren before him Capello is face with the added old problem of incorporating Gerrard and Lampard into the same side. The balance of the side is all wrong completely. No fluidity to there play whatsoever, Germany will test that dodgy defence to. Podolski will test Glen Johnson and Mueller will spitroast Ashley Cole. Ozil will have a field day on Barry and Kheideira will mop the area between Rooney and the midfield with ease.

Or maybe it's because England actually played quite shít?

Yes but why are people surprised that the BBC are looking at the positives ??

The only analyst I like on RTE these days is Souness, cos he is the only one out there without an agenda

Dumphy, Giles etc are all trying to out do each other with their analysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I just cant listen to UTV or BBC when England are on, you know no matter how bad they play they will shine a great light on them and make them seem like a better team, Im not fully backing RTE because some of the Anti-French stuff was a joke TBH and cringe worthy at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I personally think that England made massive improvements but are still a far way from putting in a good performance. You can only beat whats put in front of you and England were made to look better by an awful Slovenia side.

Both punditry was a little servere. They were better but still not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    The commentary on the BBC yesterday was the cherry on the top of such an amateur running of their WC segments. Rubbish, anyone can see England have being so so poor in 3 games and now they will expect a better performance against Germany which will happen but not with a click of a light switch will they get through.

They have a problem which has being harping back as far as Euro 2000, they don't perform as a team or a unit. They try it fit square pegs into round holes, like Eriksson, McClaren before him Capello is face with the added old problem of incorporating Gerrard and Lampard into the same side. The balance of the side is all wrong completely. No fluidity to there play whatsoever, Germany will test that dodgy defence to. Podolski will test Glen Johnson and Mueller will spitroast Ashley Cole. Ozil will have a field day on Barry and Kheideira will mop the area between Rooney and the midfield with ease.

I can count on 1 hand the amount of times Ashley Cole has been 'spitroasted' by anyone. Muller is a workhorse and wont be getting the better of Cole.

Podolski or Lashtheballdolski might get better joy out of Johnson but I would be more worried about the threat of Lahm down the either flank he plays to be honest.

Germany will get the most joy in the middle because thats the weakest part of the England team IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I remember England's first group game. Put on ITV at half time and they were totally bigging up Heskey and how much ball he had one etc. Quick change to RTE and they were having a field day!!

To be fair to the RTE lads they don't spare even the Irish team. They tell it as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

There is a huge thread on F365 about this. Many English reckon we Irish are just bitter.

Nah, unless they mean about pretty much all teams and not just England as the panel have slagged off EVERY team at one stage or another.

Yes but why are people surprised that the BBC are looking at the positives ??

I don't think it's anything about being surprised. It's more to do with highlighting the different approaches taken by the BBC and RTE.

When England or another British side are in action BBC always will put a bright spin on a performance, regardless of whether or not it's an accurate picture they are offering.
    BBC's approach is to make their viewers content which will keep most people happy because at the end of the day it is a minority of people who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to football, or any sport.

RTE's approach is a more honest approach, and probably gives their viewers some credit-whether or not that credit is deserved might be another debate though.

If i put it this way,
    If Ireland get a good result but were lucky and the result flatters them, RTE will point that out and might even overdo it.
    If England get a good result but were luck and the result flatters them, BBC will say England are fantastic and moving in the right direction....

I suppose there's no right or wrong way, at the end of the day its up to us to pick whichever we want to watch

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

They say animals are at their most dangerous when they're sleeping. Germany boss Joachim Low fears Wayne Rooney - who looked better but still not right in the 1-0 win over Slovenia last night - could "explode" into life any minute now. Steven Gerrard thinks "goals are just around the corner" for his Scouse friend. theeditor@football365.com.

There worse than bbc or sky with there headlines.

I don't think it's anything about being surprised. It's more to do with highlighting the different approaches taken by the BBC and RTE.

When England or another British side are in action BBC always will put a bright spin on a performance, regardless of whether or not it's an accurate picture they are offering.
    BBC's approach is to make their viewers content which will keep most people happy because at the end of the day it is a minority of people who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to football, or any sport.

RTE's approach is a more honest approach, and probably gives their viewers some credit-whether or not that credit is deserved might be another debate though.

If i put it this way,
    If Ireland get a good result but were lucky and the result flatters them, RTE will point that out and might even overdo it.
    If England get a good result but were luck and the result flatters them, BBC will say England are fantastic and moving in the right direction....

I suppose there's no right or wrong way, at the end of the day its up to us to pick whichever we want to watch

RTE's approach is not honest, it's populist b***s**t that is spewed out by the majority of the panel cos that's what the poepl like to hear

And this board is proof of it, the amount of posts in the last 2 weeks praising RTE for allegedly calling 'a spade a spade' is amazing.

RTE's approach is not honest, it's populist b***s**t that is spewed out by the majority of the panel cos that's what the poepl like to hear

And this board is proof of it, the amount of posts in the last 2 weeks praising RTE for allegedly calling 'a spade a spade' is amazing.

They are calling a spade a spade. What you want them to do say England are greatest team of all time ffs.

They are calling a spade a spade. What you want them to do say England are greatest team of all time ffs.

Cos England are not the greatest team of all time ffs

I am no fan of the BBC, ITV or Sky Sports, nor am I a fan of the RTE panle who will say anything just to be controversial, and to give the people what they want to hear, i.e. look at England , they are s**t

Right well we'll have to agree to disagree.

in my opinion, RTE have no agenda. OK you're pointing out these England fixtures but the fact that they SLATE Ireland too, even when we're getting results-that's hardly representing their viewers opinion and certainly isn't what the majority of viewers want to hear. They say it because that's their honest take on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I haven't heard his response to this game, but I find Alan Mullery to be refreshingly honest when it comes to talking about England. After their warm up games, he slated the team, and that was on SSN!!

I'd love if RTE could get him in for a few games, he really comes across as a guy who obviously has a lot of passion for his team but also speaks his mind when he isn't happy about what he is seeing.

Cos England are not the greatest team of all time ffs

Yes spot on, so why hell have go at RTE for being bloody honest.

Fizman wrote: »
    I haven't heard his response to this game, but I find Alan Mullery to be refreshingly honest when it comes to talking about England. After their warm up games, he slated the team, and that was on SSN!!

Ya he even said on SSN news on Tuesday that if the England team were wtching the program that they were disgrace.

I like him too most honest of the lot English wise

Yes spot on, so why hell have go at RTE for being bloody honest.

I did not hear the analysis of the England game yesterday so I cannot comment on it, but I would not be one bit surprised if it was over the top.

My overall point is that people seem to think RTE are honest in their analysis, I think otherwise

In the Champions league a few year back Dumphy refereed to Renaldo as a '"Poof ball who's never done it in the big games"

Why did he do that do you think, was it cos he really believed it or was it cos it was controversial and he knew it would irate the thousands of Man Utd fans ?

To be honest I think it is very lazy on their behalf, just rant on about how bad England are and in flow the ratings and plaudits from stooges like the people on this site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Ah come on did you hear the interview with Capello after the game? The shackles are off? This is the England team I want to see?

If you watch the match you can see England are very far away from a good performance. Slovenia were one of the worst teams I've ever seen in a world cup yet they could have nicked a draw. So on the basis of what i saw and my definition of a good performance RTE were closer the correct analysis of the game.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Seems the England lovers can't handle the truth being preached from the RTE panel.

Does us all a favour and switch over to BBC where your egos and superiority complex can be pandered to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I thought the RTE analysis rather than being a reflection of anti- english sentiment in Ireland was a sober and objective assessment of a poor performance by England against very limited opposition. Although i disagree with Eamon Dunphy about Milner having a poor game. Barry was dreadful though and Gerrard seems to be past it. Maybe Gerrard will prove me wrong against Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

DB10 wrote: »
    Seems the England lovers can't handle the truth being preached from the RTE panel.

Does us all a favour and switch over to BBC where your egos and superiority complex can be pandered to.

RTE is my State Broadcaster, and as a member of the largest ethnic minority in Ireland I am entitled to expect it to provide a balanced view. (Besides which, my aerial gives me poor reception of BBC and UTV!).

BBC and UTV are entitled to reflect the euphoria of English supporters - though even I find some of this a bit hard to deal with at times. You don't have to watch it if you don't want to. What the BBC and UTV are doing is no different from what RTE would do if Ireland were still in the tournament.

The problem with the RTE coverage is that they never allow a robust experienced English panellist to challenge the "chipsonourshoulder" anti-English bias of their regular contributors. Dunphy's unbalanced comment about "Rule Britannia" is a case in point. There has been no discussion on RTE Sport about the chants of any other nations supporters nor his own relentless anti-English jingoism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Neberkenezer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

BBC and UTV are entitled to reflect the euphoria of English supporters - though even I find some of this a bit hard to deal with at times. You don't have to watch it if you don't want to. What the BBC and UTV are doing is no different from what RTE would do if Ireland were still in the tournament.

Toatlly wrong here. RTE are and always have been very objective in their analysis of Irish teams and managers. To say otherwise is just delusional.
    The problem with the RTE coverage is that they never allow a robust experienced English panellist to challenge the "chipsonourshoulder" anti-English bias of their regular contributors. Dunphy's unbalanced comment about "Rule Britannia" is a case in point. There has been no discussion on RTE Sport about the chants of any other nations supporters nor his own relentless anti-English jingoism.

I fail to see how the panelists are anti English. For gods sake they made their careers in England and some still live there and they love english football. Re 'Rule Britannia', it is nauseating to listen to. Do you know the words??? Also what other chants do you want discussed???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

You have obviously not seen RTÉ covering Irish games at the World Cup before.
    There has been no discussion on RTE Sport about the chants of any other nations supporters nor his own relentless anti-English jingoism.

Thank God for that. Who wants to hear discussion about chants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

RTE is my State Broadcaster, and as a member of the largest ethnic minority in Ireland I am entitled to expect it to provide a balanced view. (Besides which, my aerial gives me poor reception of BBC and UTV!).

I know sometimes it's a bit hard to take because you're obviously a bit emotional about your team but you just gotta get over it.

BBC & ITV coverage is just nauseating - I mean ffs Gerrard is hardly getting away with a successful ten yard pass these days without someone asking 'can he go all the way now?' over there.

Thank god RTE is not like that. England have been pretty poor by the standards they call upon themselves. They were better for the first half yesterday and they should call themselves lucky that this was good enough to scrape through. If their group was any tougher I'd say they'd be on the way home now. And yet 'your guys' are already beginning to get ecstatic again <shakes head>.

Maybe the English team hype machine should try a little understatement some time, allegedly one of the great English virtues, maybe then the whole world wouldn't be looking at them with that smirk on their faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I'd rather watch a biased BBC or ITV than the anti-everyone attitude of RTE

DaPoolRulz wrote: »

That's your choice.

I know it is, just giving my opinion, that is what this thread is for, isn't it?

• Advertisement

I know it is, just giving my opinion, that is what this thread is for, isn't it?

Funnily enough, I just spotted this on another thread.
    Don't watch it then

There are lots of popular programmes I don't like, you don't hear me bragging about it

How did I know you'd bring that up?

That was an RIP thread so discussion of the TV show itself had nothing to do with it, I posted here because it was relevant. I didn't go into the Star Wars forum and randomly post about how I don't like it.

Try to keep up.

How did I know you'd bring that up?

You must be psychic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

But BBC have no ad breaks....

i'd rather have an accurate assessment of a game from RTE than a hyperbolic and biased analysis from the BBC.
    I might see it your way come sunday evening if England beat Germany and the RTE panelists are trying to take away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

During the last World Cup the RTE panel were almost apologising for telling the truth about how poor England were because they knew they'd be accused of being anti-English. Not once have I ever seen an England team even come close to matching the hype from their media.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

i'd rather have an accurate assessment of a game from RTE than a hyperbolic and biased analysis from the BBC.
    I might see it your way come sunday evening if England beat Germany and the RTE panelists are trying to take away from it.

I would love to see the Irish media(leaving out Eamon Dunphy) being just as critical towards the Irish team as they are against England.

You will hear Dunphy labeling certain English players as just ordinary, will he say the same for certain Irish players? i.e. call them ordinary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

World Cup Diary

Wake up.

Read The Sun.

Read The Star.

Watch Soccer AM.

Flick on Sky Sports news.

Get pissed off with the Brit triumphalism being constantly stuffed down my throat by the English media.

Finish watching Soccer AM.

Flick on Sky Sports again.

Read The Mirror.

Watch Football Factory again. Tell the cat to 'jog on'. The cahnt.

Put on Liverpool away shirt and head to the pub.

Complain at length to lad in Chelsea shirt about jingoistic British sports commentary.

Watch the England match on BBC.

Get annoyed at those **** going on about 1966. Do they ever stop?

Discuss our epic draw with the Brits 20 years ago with the lads for an hour or two.

Discuss our epic win over the Brits 22 years ago with the lads for an hour or two.

English pundits still droning on about 1966. Do they ever stop? ****.

Discuss how those cheating frog bastards stopped us getting to the semi-finals of this world cup for an hour or two.

Gerard scores.

Slag some English bastard in the pub who cheers Gerard's goal, the dirty scouse bastard.

USA score! Somebody spills beer on my Liverpool shirt. My Stevie G on the back now has a big stain on it. Fuck.

Go home.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I would love to see the Irish media(leaving out Eamon Dunphy) being just as critical towards the Irish team as they are against England.

You will hear Dunphy labeling certain English players as just ordinary, will he say the same for certain Irish players? i.e. call them ordinary?

i was under the impression he had prior to the game in Paris last November when suddenly the Irish team had quality players after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Have to say the BBC coverage has been quite good this world cup, and I have actually enjoyed listening to the analys

I have come to the conclusion (apologies to Liverpool fans :)) that when Alan Hansen in particular and to a lesser extent Mark Lawrenson are not involved it is much better, even Alan Shearer is bearable without them, John Motson has been an excellent addition to the panel.

RTE have not been as good this campaign, I think they realise what their winning formula has been but they are now trying too hard to play on this, particulary Bill, too many jokes between the panel also which is something new and is very annoying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement