Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE vs BBC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Oh my fcuking God.
    Gerrard is on the BBC team of the group stages.

What a fcuking joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Saw that alright.

Almost as bad as the made up Bob Dylan video they are playing right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

baz2009 wrote: »
    Oh my fcuking God.
    Gerrard is on the BBC team of the group stages.

What a fcuking joke.

I have seen worse inclusions on boards teams of the season/premiership team etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Sure remember when Waddle said Walcott didn't have the footballing brain yet to play for the English national team and he got slaughtered by everybody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Lawerson is such a hypocrite he talks up englands chances on the BBC, but on today fm he says the opposite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

fryup wrote: »
    Lawerson is such a hypocrite he talks up englands chances on the BBC, but on today fm he says the opposite

On BBC he has to tow the party line and tell the English public what they want to hear i.e. England are great, they'll beat Germany etc. If he doesn't they'll find someone else who will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

seadnamac wrote: »
    The RTE panel are just as critical of any other team when they perform poorly or lower than expected and that includes Ireland. There is no bias or agenda anywhere and both Giles and Dunphy have said in the past that they like to see England do well as they have both made very good livings there.

Get over it lads.

The panel should be better balanced, but us English folk don't mind being your "pantomime villians". However, I found the following very offensive and humiliating.

Dunphy “It’s good for us. It’s good for our part of the world, because the soap opera continue. There’s another episode now. It’s the soap that keeps giving(?) Darragh” (no balance provided)

Dunphy “When you hear Rule Britannia and all of that coming from the English crowd ... that jingoistic nonsense. We’re not involved. We can be rational and reasonable.” (no balance provided)

I have made a youtube video which addresses this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5VT7jedE1M

If you don't like it you can always leave a negative comment. Whether you agree with me or not, I ask you to support my campaign for a right of reply on RTE Sport. Dunphy & Co should be called to account for their anti-English prejudice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

The panel should be better balanced, but us English folk don't mind being your "pantomime villians". However, I found the following very offensive and humiliating.

Dunphy “It’s good for us. It’s good for our part of the world, because the soap opera continue. There’s another episode now. It’s the soap that keeps giving(?) Darragh” (no balance provided)

Dunphy “When you hear Rule Britannia and all of that coming from the English crowd ... that jingoistic nonsense. We’re not involved. We can be rational and reasonable.” (no balance provided)

If you don't like it you can always leave a negative comment. Whether you agree with me or not, I ask you to support my campaign for a right of reply on RTE Sport. Dunphy & Co should be called to account for their anti-English prejudice.

in my opinion your talking out your hoop, its not anti english its merely stating the fact england are crap. You find it anti english because you refuse to see the fact they are rubbish open your eyes and watch your team from a non english view and you'll see the rte lads are just pointing out the obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Can you tell me one redeeming quality of the crowd singing 'Rule Brittania'? I personally find it really offensive as it triumphilist about Slavery and Colonialism.

Sure you must agree that the English media overhype the English team in every tournament. This World Cup England were terrible in the first 2 games and now after beating the world beaters who are Slovenia by a solitary goal, the media are talking them up as World beaters. That is the soap opera that Dunphy was talking about as well as trouble in the camp (John Terry etc) so I really don't see what you have to take offence against.

Have you posted a video about on You Tube about English media's anti- German comments (as in cover of English Daily Star yesterday?).
    Think you should do that to show balance that you are so concerned about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

But you have a right of reply. You can complain to the Broadcasting Complaints Commission if you think that RTE coverage has been anti English.

http://www.bcc.ie/

• Advertisement

Here is an easier link of Windsurfer's excellent video which as a bonus has an excellent flag waving rendition of 'Rule Brittania' thrown in.

Windsurfer,I think it is one of the worst videos I have ever seen on youtube and your comments are truly laughable.

Did you notice that the singer with the stupid jacket had an Irish tricolour on one sleeve. Now think about that, do you not find that ignorant of him and showing some British arrogance to include a complete separate sovereign nation in 'Brittania'.....don't you think that could taint an Irish persons view of the British?

If England play well you'll find RTE will compliment them. The fact is that they aren't performing is the reason they have come under fire.

They struggled to get out of a group they were expected to waltz through.

In fairness to RTE they are criticising a lot of teams who are not playing well.

This notion of anti-English bias is nonsense really.

Paleface wrote: »
    If England play well you'll find RTE will compliment them. The fact is that they aren't performing is the reason they have come under fire.

In fairness to RTE they are criticising a lot of teams who are not playing well.

Keep it football related then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Ok...the most annoying thing about the coverage at the year's world cup is that noise that makes me think my phone is vibrating somewhere.

Well they were very easy on the US after that first half performance

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Well they were very easy on the US after that first half performance

I said a lot not all.

I said a lot not all.

I know but I keep hearing that they tell it how it is.

As I replied to your earlier post, if they keep the criticism to football alone then you can have no complaints but it doesn't appear to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE need to fire the match commentators, both todays were woefully listless

mike65 wrote: »
    RTEs need to fire the match commentators, both todays were woefully listless

Agree 100% they were truly awful, terrible stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dunno why RTEs sound is awful as well, you can hardly hear them, whereas the ITV/BBC mic feed always sounds crisp and clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Awful sound engineering. Same guy responsible for how RTE's feed is 2 seconds ahead of the video 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

What a load of sh*te.

And by the way, my comment there is not anti-English, it's anti-sh*te.

seadnamac wrote: »
    What a load of sh*te.

And by the way, my comment there is not anti-English, it's anti-sh*te.

Why don't they just stick to football though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Jaysus, what a waste of time. Get a hobby or something tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

rte is so boring, whenever i can i switch over to UTV or BBC, maloney is the only person I like to watch on RTE..so boring on RTE...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

mink_man wrote: »
    rte is so boring, whenever i can i switch over to UTV or BBC, maloney is the only person I like to watch on RTE..so boring on RTE...

RTE's panelists as we all know talk a lot of ****e but what we do know is they speak their mind and are very entertaining. Having to watch the robots on BBC, ITV and Sky is just too painful, they never say anything original and just repeat the same old soundbites. They always agree with each other and just basically lick each others arse-holes. They remind me of that REM song - Smiley Happy People. RTE everytime for the analysis but I must admit I watch the games on BBC or ITV for the HD. What they do have is Mick McCarthy who is is a great commentator on matches.

Warper wrote: »
    RTE's panelists as we all know talk a lot of ****e but what we do know is they speak their mind and are very entertaining. Having to watch the robots on BBC, ITV and Sky is just too painful, they never say anything original and just repeat the same old soundbites. They always agree with each other and just basically lick each others arse-holes. They remind me of that REM song - Smiley Happy People. RTE everytime for the analysis but I must admit I watch the games on BBC or ITV for the HD. What they do have is Mick McCarthy who is is a great commentator on matches.

Have to say love Big Mick, he has that Northern English sense of humour and really love his accent :D

no they don't speak their mind, they try to find negatives so that it will make them seem as if they're speaking their mind...like dunphy says all these harsh comments and giles the same to make them out as if they know the game inside out, as if they have better brains than all the players and coaches...

also jim beglin is a good commentator, and mark lawrenson has some witty moments too...who do rte have? jimmy mcgee and stephen alkin (wheres his voice????) and that goon who was commentatin the ghana match this eve (tool)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

BBC all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

mink_man wrote: »
    also jim beglin is a good commentator, and mark lawrenson has some witty moments too...who do rte have? jimmy mcgee and stephen alkin (wheres his voice????) and that goon who was commentatin the ghana match this eve (tool)

You are giving bad examples there in Beglin and Lawro and you left out one of RTE's most annoying commentators in George Hamilton. I agree with you though, RTE's commentators are generally poor enough but its the RTE panelists that are a breath of fresh air. The others appear to be reading a script.

You are giving bad examples there in Beglin and Lawro and you left out one of RTE's most annoying commentators in George Hamilton. I agree with you though, RTE's commentators are generally poor enough but its the RTE panelists that are a breath of fresh air. The others appear to be reading a script.

Except when they knock the club teams that people support here, then they are clueless, keep an eye out on the threads during the coming season for champions league matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Ranking the three stations' coverage:

Best presenters - 1. RTE 2. BBC 3.ITV

ITV a distant third at that! Maloney and O'Herlihy are good in different ways. Lineker, while smug, has the respect of other pros.

Best studio pundits - 1. RTE 2. BBC 3. ITV
    BBC, despite smug Hansen, are not far behind. Didi and Souness save RTE's bacon here. Andy 'we' Townsend - simply awful!

Best commentators - 1. ITV 2. BBC 3.RTE Tyldsley, Drury, Champion are hard to beat! Don't think Mowbray is #1 material for the Beeb either.

Best co-commentators - 1. BBC 2. ITV 3.RTE Liking McCarthy's gruff Northern personality - hilarious during Germany-Serbia. Keown is decent, Bright the only awful one of the bunch.
    Message to Ray Houghton - cheer up - you get to watch plenty of matches for free, in a decent climate.

Best studio - 1. ITV 2. BBC 3. RTE Can't really blame RTE for this, given the budget constraints, though it would be nice if they could broadcast some of the latter rounds (or Ireland matches) from the host country in future World Cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I'm finding the analysis a bit of a drag at this stage.

They don't talk about the actual match for about 15 minutes afterwards instead Bill trys to spark lengthy discussions on the wider ramifications of the result on the world of football.

Bar the big games it just comes accross as filler.

at least with them they don't be saying stuff as if its thought in their heads, like any of the rte commentators you imagine them thinking it out in their heads first wondering if they have to give this bit of observation or "clever" analysis...like the other commentators feel at home watchin the match, big mick sayin durin a match "odia, hes so bad tonight they should have name him twicr" or somethin along those lines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Clive Tyldesley night before the Spain/Chile match that none of the Spanish players were singing the National anthem because they were so focused on the game.

Eh Clive, there are no words to the anthem ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Clive Tyldesley night before the Spain/Chile match that none of the Spanish players were singing the National anthem because they were so focused on the game.

Eh Clive, there are no words to the anthem ffs

Give him a break, maybe he is just an old time Fascist!!! :pac:

I forgive him as all them ITV commentators have perfect commentating voices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Don't think anyone can imply/accuse the pundits on the Beeb today of bias. They ripped England to shreds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

blueser wrote: »
    Don't think anyone can imply/accuse the pundits on the Beeb today of bias. They ripped England to shreds.

Yes,I was a bit surprised by their negativity ,they were scathing in their criticism.
    A nice change.I'm sure ITV would have run with the "We was wobbed" angle :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Give him a break, maybe he is just an old time Fascist!!! :pac:
    That'll be Clive "that night in Barcelona in 1999" Tyldesley. Anytime United are playing in the CL (particularly if it's against Bayern Munich), or if the game is in the Nou Camp (even if United aren't involved), it's a given that Clive will get several mentions of Barcelona '99 into his commentary.

blueser wrote: »
    That'll be Clive "that night in Barcelona in 1999" Tyldesley. Anytime United are playing in the CL (particularly if it's against Bayern Munich), or if the game is in the Nou Camp (even if United aren't involved), it's a given that Clive will get several mentions of Barcelona '99 into his commentary.

he must be a utd fan , very annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why oh why, does it take England to be knocked out for bbc/itv pundits to speak their minds

Think John Motson has been a great addition to the BBC team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Think John Motson has been a great addition to the BBC team

I prefer his punditry to his commentaries, but that's not saying a great deal tbh.

greendom wrote: »
    I prefer his punditry to his commentaries, but that's not saying a great deal tbh.

He just seems like a really nice chap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Motson was a decent, if not great commentator, until he lost it a bit in the final years.

Wasn't fair on Barry Davies either, that Motson got a much bigger percentage of the big matches to commentate on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He just seems like a really nice chap

Yeah I agree and with his soft spot for Barnet I should like him more. His voice just grates on me though, he should have retired a long time ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I see BBC have pulled MOTD from their listings tonight! LOL I checked the TV guide 30 mins ago and it was due to start at 23:20. Now there is some sh1tty old b movie on from 23:20-01:00. Nice.

• Advertisement

Ok, there have been a few English people on this thread complaining that RTE's coverage of England has been biased and anti-English.

I wonder if they will take that back now? Surely after the 4-1 German win they have been proven correct?

I am amazed at how the defeat has suddenly turned BBC into better analysts. They were all raving about a fantastic and world beating performance against Slovenia. Redknapp said that they should go on and win the tournament after that, whilst on RTE the performance was heavily criticised. Today, before the game, they were again talking England up and didn't really analyse Germany's team and talents.

Then come half-time, they rightly complained about Lampard's disallowed goal but they did not let that cloud their judgement and said that England had been awful and could have been 4 down.
    After full time BBC, sounded even more negative than Giles & Co and tore the manager and team apart. All of sudden the whole tournament performance was not good enough, and they stated that the Slovenia performance was only average, whereas on the day it was fantastic. How can they change their minds like that?
    Still think that they feel, man for man they are better and they are not really looking at deeper problems in English football.
    Still hope this might be a watershed in British coverage of the English team and they might stop hyping the team up so much and analyse games with their heads, including victories. I suspect that this won't happen and come 2012, assuming England qualify they willl believe again that they are one of the favourites to win.

Advertisement