Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE vs BBC

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ok, there have been a few English people on this thread complaining that RTE's coverage of England has been biased and anti-English.

I wonder if they will take that back now? Surely after the 4-1 German win they have been proven correct?

I am amazed at how the defeat has suddenly turned BBC into better analysts. They were all raving about a fantastic and world beating performance against Slovenia. Redknapp said that they should go on and win the tournament after that, whilst on RTE the performance was heavily criticised. Today, before the game, they were again talking England up and didn't really analyse Germany's team and talents.

Then come half-time, they rightly complained about Lampard's disallowed goal but they did not let that cloud their judgement and said that England had been awful and could have been 4 down.
    After full time BBC, sounded even more negative than Giles & Co and tore the manager and team apart. All of sudden the whole tournament performance was not good enough, and they stated that the Slovenia performance was only average, whereas on the day it was fantastic. How can they change their minds like that?
    Still think that they feel, man for man they are better and they are not really looking at deeper problems in English football.
    Still hope this might be a watershed in British coverage of the English team and they might stop hyping the team up so much and analyse games with their heads, including victories. I suspect that this won't happen and come 2012, assuming England qualify they willl believe again that they are one of the favourites to win.

As an England supporter, and RTE license payer, I share some of your views ...

Firstly, as far as my own complaint to RTE following the Slovenia game was concerned, it really focused on the following remarks :

Mr Dunphy “It’s good for us. It’s good for our part of the world, because the soap opera continue. There’s another episode now. It’s the soap that keeps giving(?) Darragh” (no balance provided)

Mr Dunphy “When you hear Rule Britannia and all of that coming from the English crowd ... that jingoistic nonsense. We’re not involved. We can be rational and reasonable.” (no balance provided)

I complained directly after the match, and by that evening, in my opinion, the tone of the comments of all the panellists had changed. I don't know whether this was to do with my complaint or not.

On the eve of the Germany match, the panelists predictions were

Giles - Germany, Brady - ask me at half time, Dunphy - England (but not really sure).

As we know, Dunphy did not appear on the panel for RTE's biggest game (TV audience) of the tournament so far. I was able to sit down and enjoy RTE's coverage of the England game. At this point my complaint was being dealt with by the Deputy Head of RTE Sport. I have contacted him and told him that I thought the RTE analysis of the England v Germany game was entertaining, interesting and very fair.

The only quibble I would have is when Darragh Maloney said "we know what the headlines (in the English press) will say" (meaning presumably "we was robbed"). For the record, every BBC headline I have heard so far has said "England soundly beaten by Germany".

I have a high opinion of RTE Sports football coverage and of Eamon Dunphy in particular. However, too often, he drags the rest of the panellists into biased, unfair and jingoistic positions. The whole anti-Ronaldo thing was running on RTE Sports for months was just plain embarrassing. I am neither a fan of Ronaldo nor of any of the teams he has played for. As you may know, Dunphy has subsequently apologised for this, but not before he did a lot of damage to the reputation of RTE Sport, in my opinion.

I pay my licence fee to RTE and I am entitled to complain to them if their broadcasting is unfair. If you do not like BBC's coverage please recognise that unless you live in the North, you do not pay them a licence fee, and little (if any) of cable / satellite subscriptions reaches them.

Best Wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Firstly, as far as my own complaint to RTE following the Slovenia game was concerned, it really focused on the following remarks :

Mr Dunphy “It’s good for us. It’s good for our part of the world, because the soap opera continue. There’s another episode now. It’s the soap that keeps giving(?) Darragh” (no balance provided)

Mr Dunphy “When you hear Rule Britannia and all of that coming from the English crowd ... that jingoistic nonsense. We’re not involved. We can be rational and reasonable.” (no balance provided)

I complained directly after the match, and by that evening, in my opinion, the tone of the comments of all the panellists had changed. I don't know whether this was to do with my complaint or not.

Not infringing on your right to complain or be offended but can I ask what exactly you found offensive by these comments?

The 'soap opera' that Eamonn was referring to was in relation to the whole media circus that follows the England team, the hype, the seemingly disillusional believe that, come every tournament, England will win, the ridiculous tabloid headlines (see a couple from The Sun recently if you want something really offensive to a nation), the disbelieve when they lose, the inquest that follows and refusal to accept that maybe their players just arn't good enough. Then to top that all of you have Sky Sports News and their ridiculous drivel that makes 'Breaking News' out of every minor detail.

A 'soap opera' is a pretty apt term when you consider all of this. And remember I'm just referring to the media side of things.

Jingoism - extreme patriotism in the form of aggresive foreign policy. 'Rule Brittania, Brittania rules the waves'? It's not that much of a stretch to apply the word jingoism to that song surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Prefer the Irish commentry and punditry here myelf but the picture (and sound tbh) is so much better on BBC HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

OSI wrote: »
    And "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" isn't?

Grow up, it's all part of football, no one complains when United supporters sing about how they're the best in the work or all about their history etc, but as soon as it's the English supporters showing some patriotism it's Jingoism....

Grow up? It was an honest question. I'm not anti-english and like to see them do well whenever they have a decent team and I like the players that are playing for them. Get off your high horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

And "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" isn't

That verse is not in the German anthem anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

The only quibble I would have is when Darragh Maloney said "we know what the headlines (in the English press) will say" (meaning presumably "we was robbed"). For the record, every BBC headline I have heard so far has said "England soundly beaten by Germany"

I do you seriously think Maloney was on about the BBC when he was discussing how the disallowed goal would be treated by the media? The Guardian, Independent and Daily Star all put the Lampard strike on the front page of today's paper, so he had a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Neither is Rule Brittania, but they both get song at football matches, hence my point. It's one rule for the Brits and another for the rest...

Actually they're not. "Deutschland, Deutschland..." is mostly being mentioned by ignorant commentators who fail to see what actually happened to the hymn after WW2. I don't hear that being sung at the matches - but to a commentator it would sound so much better I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

On the eve of the Germany match, the panelists predictions were

Giles - Germany, Brady - ask me at half time, Dunphy - England (but not really sure).

As we know, Dunphy did not appear on the panel for RTE's biggest game (TV audience) of the tournament so far. I was able to sit down and enjoy RTE's coverage of the England game. At this point my complaint was being dealt with by the Deputy Head of RTE Sport. I have contacted him and told him that I thought the RTE analysis of the England v Germany game was entertaining, interesting and very fair.

The only quibble I would have is when Darragh Maloney said "we know what the headlines (in the English press) will say" (meaning presumably "we was robbed"). For the record, every BBC headline I have heard so far has said "England soundly beaten by Germany".

I have a high opinion of RTE Sports football coverage and of Eamon Dunphy in particular. However, too often, he drags the rest of the panellists into biased, unfair and jingoistic positions. The whole anti-Ronaldo thing was running on RTE Sports for months was just plain embarrassing. I am neither a fan of Ronaldo nor of any of the teams he has played for. As you may know, Dunphy has subsequently apologised for this, but not before he did a lot of damage to the reputation of RTE Sport, in my opinion.

I pay my licence fee to RTE and I am entitled to complain to them if their broadcasting is unfair. If you do not like BBC's coverage please recognise that unless you live in the North, you do not pay them a licence fee, and little (if any) of cable / satellite subscriptions reaches them.

Best Wishes
    You should consider following bowls or knitting, you might be less offended then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

We all know the tabloids play up to whoever pays there wages

English Sun

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/

Scottish Sun

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article3032394.ece

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Ive always found the RTE commentary to be fairly well unbiased, the other commentators are usually pretty swift to correct eamon and to spar with him, he talk some b*llshyte but hats off to him, too often his opinions simply cut too close to the bone for us listeners!!! if you've watched an ireland game in the lead up to the world cup, i reckon they've had a far worse slating than the english teams gotten :)

by the way, with all this suetchland uber alles and rule brittania its a bloody good thing we dont mention any controversial topics in our own national anthem... oh wait, there is that unsung final verse
    A bhuíon nách fann d'fhuil Ghaeil is Gall,
    Sin breacadh lae na saoirse,
    Ta scéimhle 's scanradh i gcroíthe namhad,
    Roimh ranna laochra ár dtire.
    Ár dtinte is tréith gan spréach anois,
    Sin luisne ghlé san spéir anoir,
    'S an bíobha i raon na bpiléar agaibh:
    Seo libh, canaídh Amhrán na bh Fiann.

TRANSLATION

Sons of the Gael! Men of the Pale!
    The long watched day is breaking;
    The serried ranks of Inisfail