Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share a fea answers in Ag Science here...

• 24-06-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I didnt get anything right so im no help!!!...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

I don't think this is wise...i'll feel worse haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I said...

Q1
    (a) Not a clue. Never heard the term before. I said they're plants which indicate the local environment i.e. presence of scutch means bad weed control, presence of clover means lots of Nitrogen in soil

(c) Made up an answer. Said its palatable, disease-resistant, multi-purpose, high DMD etc.

(d)
    (i) Measure of the H+ ion in a substance/measure of acidity or alkalinity
    (ii) 1. Guessed all of these. 5
    2. 2-4
    3. 2-4

(f)
    (i) Leguminosae
    (ii) Compositae
    (iii) Cruciferae

(g)
    (i) 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
    (ii) 21 days

(h) Basically a big rant on photosynthesis, light is required for germination etc.

(i) I said its in the form of NO3 already and no time is wasted converting it to a form that the plant can absorb

(j)
    (i) Eaten leaves
    (ii) I said eaten leaves again, a guess
    (iii) Stem damage

Question 2
    (a) I said climate, parent material, drainage, and something else
    (b) The basin peat is formed in lakes that get covered over with vegetation. Blanket peat I was unsure of. I said it formed from glaciers 15,000 years ago, and the bogs formed where the glacial melt couldn't drain... :confused:
    (c) Weigh sample of soil. Burn it in a crucible over Bunsen until it glows red/black smoke comes out. Weigh it again. Take second weight from first

Question 3; Option Two
    (a) Limestone
    (b) Parasitic disease: I said its one that feeds off the host and harms the host and gave TB as an example...

Deficiency disease: One caused by a lack of minerals in the diet/environment of an animal

Cause of grass-tetany: lack of Mg

Symptom: Animal is listless

Control: I said apply Mg compound to soil, don't apply too much N, apply N long before animals put out to graze

(c) Did this in the last 5 mins of the exam, so I gave about 10 reasons :p Not Autumn ploughed, poaching over winter, weeds not killed over winter, ground not fertilised after the harsh winter, no proper seedbed, not much sunshine/lots of rain around time of establishment etc.

Question 4
    (a) Literally just feel the soil. Roll it into a ball. Roll it into a tube shape. Come to your own conclusion on texture
    (b) Measure out a 1m X 1m area. Expose the soil. Washing up liquid solution on the ground. Earthworms come to the top. For the pasture reference, I said you could multiply your results to correspond to the area of the pasture

Question 5
    (a)
    (i) Strapped to ram, paint on his chest. When he serves a ewe, paint rubs onto her. Farmer can tell when a ewe is in heat, which rams served her etc.
    (ii) Sheep disease. Difficulty walking. Trouble if ram gets it, can't serve

(b)
    (i) I said; increases palatability, better soil structure, weed control, a few other bits
    (ii) Perennial and Italian ryegrass (guess)

(c) Never heard this before. Went on a rant about tillering. Dealt with it meaning the length of leaf to stem, and with it meaning the amount of leaves from a single stem. Not really sure what it meant

Genetics question was ROTTEN. Was banking on it, but didn't touch it

Question 8
    (a) Ewe's importance is producing 200 lambs per 100 ewes (quantity). While she also determine lamb's genetic characteristics, mainly left to the ram (quality)
    (b) I thought I knew this, then I got really confused. I think I ended up deciding that Respiration is a sub-function of Photo, which is the movement of air through the leaf, which contributes to Photo. Even though I think the definition for Respiration is to do with energy production. Anyway, I said Photosynthesis expands on Respiration and produces energy

Advertisement