Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Window Sills and Balcony Safety rail.

• 24-06-2010 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Have a bit of work to do with the external window sills and the balcony safety rail, its the second time in 3 years normally I just remove the paint with a wire brush and paint over the flaky bits but I want to do a proper job this time around as I have a bit of time on my hands.

So what I'm thinking is paint nitromorse on all the balcony painted surfaces i.e. metal bits along with the concrete sill surrounds. Once the nitromorse process has taken place after 1 hour power wash the whole Balcony this should remove all paint from both the metal and concrete in one go.. leaving the bare metal and concrete to paint.

Does this sound like a good quick way to get the paint off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,622 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is there anyone below you? Even diluted I can't imagine it would do their paint/ plants/ balcony chairs any good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

No I live in a house, there is a window below the balcony which has wood effect double glazing but the water will drip straight on to the driveway.

Ok, seems there was never any primer put on the rails and thats the reason they are flaking so easily after a year.. ahh learn something every day.

Wondering do i need to put an under coat on the window sills also, what type of paint do I use on the sills, I was using gloss, is there any other options as want something very hard wearing as winters are tough where I am and the house gets battered.

Nightmare of a job! took two full days to remove all the black paint from the metal and then the white paint from the sill, ended up using a drill and a wire attachment and it helped. Best bit was using the metal primer spray can.. great fun.. and the paint went on really nice afterwards, need to give the whole thing two more coats and that should be it for a couple of years, looks well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PC_DAVE

Hi,I'm in exactly the same boat now.Had toyed with using paint nitromors but was told that if any of this gets on the PVC of the window frames or even the brick work I'd be in trouble.Painters don't want to know about the preparation work i.e. stripping off the cills and wall cappings properly, they just want to come in, slap up 2 coats of paint and they're outta there.A powerwasher will probably remove 80% of the paint from the cills,I'm looking into shot blasting but wondered if anyone here knew of the drawbacks to this?Is there a big mess after all this?I'm looking at putting sealapour on the cills and walls after this, Is this the way to go?

• Advertisement
Advertisement