Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on Spanish Point

Options
  • 24-06-2010 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one, and I've noticed it quite a few times in Spanish Point.

The first and obvious one is I notice a lot of waves break in fairly shallow water in SP.

Another thing I notice is that if you are waiting for a wave, it tends to build and then break fairly quickly, so sometimes it's hard to "cruise" a wave before you are surrounded by white water and it has broken. I suppose I am thinking of longboards in particular. From my analysis of some of the waves in SP, they may not always be suited for cruising...

Would I be far off the mark here? I suppose it also depends on other factors and conditions on any given day.

I notice that in SP, if you don't catch the wave fairly quickly, you get "dumped". This would be as much down to my technique as much as how or where the wave is breaking.

I would think those types of waves which seem to get steep fast, and break fast, wouldn't be ideal for longboarding...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Spanish point (beach) is quite often shore dump type of wave, or on bigger swells, it closes out across the bay. However, like any beach, the shape of the wave and how it is breaking is a result of the beach profile, which shifts and changes throughout the year. Sometimes the banks will be suitable for long clean shoulder rides, other times they won't. The secret is know when! Worth keeping an eye on it though, have had some nice sessions there over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Haven't seen anything at SP beach worth getting on in a long time. I just keep driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

I've had a few sessions at SP.

It has varied with me and I guess it depends on conditions.

I caught it one day with a great swell from the south west at about 2.7 metres high on windguru, which produced 4 to 5 foot waves. The waves held up very well with a long enough ride.

I guess watch for the winds aswell. It was south west that day and seemed to hold up fine, but south or south east be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Spanish point (beach) is quite often shore dump type of wave,

yeah, that's what I've noticed quite a few times. Although I was down there on good friday, and noticed long clean waves ideal for cruising. I wasn't in the water at the time unfortuantely.

I've been dumped a few times at high tide down there. Not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

All depends on what the banks are doing on the day i suppose + wind/swell obviously. Ive had some of my best sessions there but admitedly i wasnt riding a longboard. I remember a great day last summer, one of my best out there, where we came across a really nice right and there was a guy on a longboard cleaning up out there getting some beautiful rides.
    Haven't seen anything at SP beach worth getting on in a long time. I just keep driving.
    Likewise. Ive checked it many times in the last few months, doesnt seem to be very good these days.
    I've been dumped a few times at high tide down there. Not nice.
    Yeah it gets a bit sketchy with the rocks there in the shorebreak at high tide of a big swell!

• Advertisement
Advertisement