Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear D problem

• 24-06-2010 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭

Have a strange problem that's been driving me nuts.

Started about 150km into the W200. I heard a noise from the rear d and noticed that every second revolution it would spring forward a touch. Later on in the 200 it started to drop the odd gear down at the back which is annoying when going uphill.

Checked the chain and its perfect so its not catching. I did a bit of realignment i.e. tightening and loosening of cables to try and fix it but no joy. Now it shifts to every ring perfectly but still clicks the rear d forward.

Anybody got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

You could try bringing it to your local bike shop?

Edit: not trying to be smart or anything, just seems like the easiest thing to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Sounds a bit strange odd. If your chain is ok is your cassette ok-old.sounds like its worn on a tooth/teeth on 1 or more gears but it is only really a guess in the dark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The first thing that springs to mind is that one of the chain links is stiff. Did your checking of the chain include checking that each link moves freely relative to those either side of it in addition to checking that no link plates or link pins are sticking out too far on one side?

Otherwise I'd check the derailleur jockey wheels, cassette, and chainrings for any signs of excessive wear or damage. If it is happening every other revolution though (by which I presume you mean every second revolution of the cranks), then I'd still suspect the chain as if it were the jockey wheels, cassette, or chainrings, you'd expect it to happen much more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

I'd say it's stiff link problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

You could try bringing it to your local bike shop?

Edit: not trying to be smart or anything, just seems like the easiest thing to do...

Well a lot of what we talk about on here is fixing strange problems and issues such as this one. I worked in a bike shop and take care of my own bike but this one has me head scratching.

Doozerie, haven't checked link for link on the chain and am planning to do that tomorrow when I take another run at it. Checked the rear cassette and all seems ok there and the smaller rings on the derailleur move freely. You're correct though when i say every second revolution its always at the same spot every second turn of the crank.

I'll check the entire chain for a stiff link and see where we go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

iregk wrote: »
    Well a lot of what we talk about on here is fixing strange problems and issues such as this one. I worked in a bike shop and take care of my own bike but this one has me head scratching.

Then why not bring it around to someone to show them in person?

I work on my bikes too but if there's something that leaves my head scratching I'll just drop it in to the lads to see if they can figure it out.

You posted this an hour ago, you could have been there and back by now and had the problem sorted :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

iregk wrote: »

Doozerie, haven't checked link for link on the chain and am planning to do that tomorrow when I take another run at it. Checked the rear cassette and all seems ok there and the smaller rings on the derailleur move freely. You're correct though when i say every second revolution its always at the same spot every second turn of the crank.

I'll check the entire chain for a stiff link and see where we go.

Had a similar problem when I put on a new chain recently. I pushed the pin in a fraction too far. the result was it was sticking out a bit. Didn't notice anything until I was cycling uphill. Under load and when the chain was on the large sprocket, the chain would catch the jockey wheel cage of the rear mech and cause it to "skip". Took me a while to figure this out, but once i pushed the pin back in a bit, problem solved.

From your description, the chain is the most likely culprit. best of luck.

Advertisement