Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimiento Peppers Dublin?

Options
  • 24-06-2010 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Does anyone know if you can get these anywhere in Dublin? My dad adores them but only ever has them when he's in Spain.
    Was hoping to hook him up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

pimiento is actually the spanish word for pepper so any type of pepper in spanish speaking countries is usually referred to as a pimiento, but i think you might be talking about a pepper sometimes referred to as a pimiento (also pimento in some places) that looks like this:

pimiento_pepper.jpg

kind of like a regular bell pepper, but smaller and sweeter but with a slightly tougher skin. they'd usually have the skin seared and then sweated out and then peeled off or are sometimes pickled. google says they're the ones used to stuff in olives too. :)

are these the ones you mean?

if not, have a look HERE and see if you can see exactly what sort they are.

you could probably grow them here in ireland yourself if you had a greenhouse. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 harlot

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes those (first pic) were the ones I was talking about.

do you want them fresh, or pickled?

i haven't seen them fresh, but some of the bigger supermarkets do (or at least used to, i haven't spotted them for a while) a jar of them pickled, although i forget the name of it now. if you have a look for it in larger supermarkets you might still be able to get them.

i remember when the first appeared around 5-6 years ago they were really expensive (like€5-6 a jar) but the price came down to something a little more palatable before too long.

the jar was clear with a black label on it, but other than that I can't remember the specific name or anything, sorry.

i do remember seeing them downstairs in the food bit of the dunnes stores in stephen's green shopping centre tho.

hope you find them.

I was looking for fresh but I guess the old man would have to settle for jarred at a push. Better than nothing!

Nice one for that. I shop in that Dunnes on my way home from work most days so i'll check it out.

for some reason i have it in my head that they were labelled as coming from south africa, but i can't for the life of me remember the name, sorry. :(

i do remember them being very tasty though. :)

• Advertisement

ha ha no problem! you've been helpful enough already.

i want some now though, they were really tasty!

one of the best things i found to use them (the jar ones) in was a tuna pasta bake or tuna salad, they just go together with tuna perfectly for some reason and really help lift the flavours.

Advertisement