Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Flooring Repair - Mobile Home

• 24-06-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi.

I have a mobile home on a site. Last week a small section of the flooring (about 1 square foot) in front of the toilet in bathroom sank when i stood on it. I removed all the vinyl off the floor in the bathroom and also in the whole lot of the hallway outside the bathroom. Just infront of the toilet in the bathroom and around the big circular pipe at the rear of the toilet there is all black on the floor. At the front of the toilet, as i mentioned, the flooring has a big dip in it where it sank when i stood on it. As it is summer (and there is no rain) it is difficult to determine where the leaking that ruined the flooring is coming from. I turned on all the taps in the mobile, flushed the toilet and got underneath the mobile to try see if i can see any water leak and there was nothing.

So on the one hand im thinking of getting in a plumber to sort it - or i can just try replacing the 1square foot of sunken flooring myself. I say 'try' as I have very little experience in DIY things. If you were me, what would you do?

If i did do it myself, how would i go about it. The way i assume it would work is that i would cut the 1 square foot piece of sunken wood out and replace it with a health 1square foot of wood of the same thickness. However, I am sort of flabergasted as to how when the new piece of wood is secured in place. I have read that it will be placed half way on each joist and screwed down with countersunken screws.

Can anyone please help me with this predicament I am in at the moment? (And hopefully, if you can, give me a guide on how to do this aswell that would be great thanks)

I have taken and attached to this post 3 pictures of the bathroom to assist.

Thanks again.

Dan.

Toilet1.JPG

Toilet2.JPG

Toilet3.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Looking at the pictures it apears the water may either have

1, Come in from outside below the window

2. The toilet pipe into the floor overflowed at some stage.

As for making a stable floor I dont knw much more that scewing 2"x4" into the joist under the floor and sitting new floor on this but you may have to take the toilet out etc to build the floor up properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i would agree with joey that the water came form that pipe.

you will have to lift the floor and remove any rotten timber. and you can then reinforce the joist beneath the floor. and place new floor on top. some treated 4x2 and some marine ply should do the trick.

if you can get your hands on a skill saw and a work bench will make your life a lot handier.

as for the leaking toilet just make sure its sealed properly. could be in at an angle making the seal break.

we could nearly talk you through it if we could see the frame work under the floor. but its totally "doable" yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

Thank you for all your replies
    as for the leaking toilet just make sure its sealed properly. could be in at an angle making the seal break

It funny you say that because the first thing i noticed when moving into the mobile is that it was not situated on level ground in the mobile home site. Underneath it, there are concrete blocks built up at the back of the mobile and at the front of the mobile that the mobile sits on. So the question is..is it just pure coincidence that you've mentioned about an offset angle and i noticed that when moving into the mobile that it had not been placed on level ground or could the problem be something else(?)

i meant the angle of the pipe leading from the toilet. does not really affect the level of the mobile home.

the blocks were used as a stable foundation i would imagine. so that not affecting the seal on the pipe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement