Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

summons for failure to produce licence

• 24-06-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

hiya im new and cant figure out if i have done this right if not im sorry :0( i read all ur posts often and u all give great help so now im hoping u can help me.... ok here goes...
    back on feb 13th 2010 i was pulled over by a garda initially was for being on the fone ( i know i know im stupid havent touched my fone in the car since) so anyway he asked me had i my licence on me i said no he asked was it irish i said no UK full so he said ok i cant do u for the fone as it involves points so i said ok then he seen my tax was out not long out still it was out end of jan so he said hel do me the 60 euro fine for tax and thats that, so all ok there then he said can u bring ur insurance docs to the nearest garda station i said yes which one he told me to pick one so i gave him the name of the station and then he let me go, so that evening i went to the station i said i would and produced my insurance docs as i was asked, then got the fine 2 weeks later and paid it same day and thought that was it!!!! but it wasnt a few weeks ago may 2010 i open the door to our local garda who tells me there are 3 summons against me for court in july! i was shocked, i asked him what for and he said i didnt ave my licence in the car to show the garda i didnt produce my licence within 10 days and having no licence witch apparently if u do not produce they presume u dont have one! so i showed him my counterpart of my uk licence but couldnt find the photocard but he said he needed it so he left with me saying il find it, so anyway i coldnt find it so i applied for a replacement with the dvla in the uk and waited while i was waiting he came to the house again and said did i have it i explained i have applied for a replacement and he said he wont give me the summons yet then hel hold on to it (he never actually gave me the summons in my hand just showed to to me) so anyway my licence came and off i went to the local gada station that garda wasnt there but another who also knows me took photocopies of it and said thats the end of it now.... im wondering shall i go to court on the day or speak to the garda who has the summons to see what hes doing... im so confused... im sorry i ranted lol, i always have talked alot! thanx a million guys ;0)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

No don't go you weren't served with a summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gallaigirl

hiya... thanx for replying to me.... no the garda that came to the house never actually gave it to me just showed the papers in a file with my name address etc... didnt even tell me when court was i had to ask him as im due my 3rd baby in july so was worried if im in hospital what will happen.... but to this day he has never handed it to me, but the more i read here alot say the court send the summons and a garda cant stop it thats why now i dont know what to do, he just said once he sees my licence then thats it... but can i trust him? thanx again. (hes not the garda who stopped me just a local from where i live) :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Go down to your local station, or wherever you went with the documents and get them to sign and stamp a letter saying you're clear. If they don't, it would be best to turn up on the day for them to strike it out then. Whatever you do, don't just let it slip by because someone said something :)

thats great cormie thanx a million il go down this evening when station opens and try that, im dreading going to court its not the court its the fact its summer holidays and i have kids lol i dont think any kids should see their mum in court lol thanx again il update later if i get a letter from them.... :o

As far as I know, children aren't even allowed in the court so you'd have to arrange somebody to mind them. Good luck anyway, hope it's sorted, I accompanied someone to court before myself and she had her case struck out :) She didn't even take one step to the box when the judge called her name as the Garda struck it out immediately :)

However this was after much stress, visits and calls to the garda after a mix up aswell :(

• Advertisement

hiya all just an update before i even left for the garda station last night the local garda who came to me with the summons he never actually gave me called me and said he has the photocopies sent off to the court and thats the end of it i asked should i still go to court and he said no as he didnt actually give me the summons so i kept asking questions and he said if they want to proceed then they will send another summons but this is finished now, all because he didnt actually serve the summons.... so think that sounds ok... doesnt it? :D

Get something in writing! :)

ok will do thanx again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

dont worry about going to court..its only like visiting an office....the worst they can do is fine you and give you points...make sure you are all legal next time though!

hi corktina, i was legal, just lost the photocard of my my licence still had the counterpart and its a uk licence so i doubt points can be added, think l just wait and see if i hear from them againbut so far looks to have been sorted out.

thanx again for all ur posts everyone....cormie thanx:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

um, not wanting to be picky but werent you on the phone and your tax was out? Also a requirement to carry your licnse with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Let it go. You've been told a number of times not to go and you haven't even been summonsed. You are stressing over nothing.

kmac i only came on here for a bit of advice as i have never had anything like this before and didnt know how it worked, id rather be safe than sorry atthe end of the day and know myself that its done. thanx for ur reply anyway. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

corktina wrote: »
    dont worry about going to court..its only like visiting an office....the worst they can do is fine you and give you points...make sure you are all legal next time though!

Seriously that is the worst advice I've ever seen given to someone who is possibly having to go to court and tells a lot about you Corktina

OP, if you do go to court take it seriously and please don't dismiss it or the judge will force you to take it seriously

thank u john i wasnt too impressed with that either i am taking it very seriously thats why i came on here looking for advice some was good others... well u see urself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

gallaigirl wrote: »
    thank u john i wasnt too impressed with that either i am taking it very seriously thats why i came on here looking for advice some was good others... well u see urself.

No problem. Take it seriously and sort it out and nothing will hopefully come of it. Most judges are reasonable and it seems the Gardaí are being so also in this case which is always a good thing.

Good luck :)

Advertisement