Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly moving to Arklow

• 24-06-2010 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi everyone! Was wondering if you could help. We have been looking at houses and found some lovely ones down in Arklow, thinking of moving to Arklow from Dublin but know nothing about which areas are good and "not as good." Gardai wouldn't tell me anything when I rang asking. Can anyone local tell me about the area around St. Peters Park, Wexford Rd, behind the Lidl? I found a little bit of info about the areas near the newly built estates (Woodlands, Meadowvale, etc) but can't seem to find anything about the St Peters Park/Wexford Rd area. If anyone knows, is it an ok area for a family or should I steer clear and keep looking? I know every town has their areas (sure I'm in Ballybrack now) and I'm no prude but my cousin learned the hard way that where you live can make or break you regardless of how nice the house may seem. He rushed into buying a cheap house and now has to replace his windows every few months thanks to lads throwing stones into them, cars being vandalised, just overall nuisances. Don't want to make that mistake.

Anywhoo, any advice out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

Hi Irishbutnot, St. Peters Place in general is a quiet place but if you are referring to the part immediately behind Lidl, ie the bottom row (it is tiered in 3 rows) the residents there were complaining some time ago about the noise (early morning) of trucks unloading in Lidl`s and as I have not heard further (I`ve seen lorries unloading early evening) I assume that that problem has been solved. The middle row might be your best bet as the top and bottom rows are used by people going to other estates in the area. Hope this is of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Hi there,
    just wondering if any of the local could tell me about rockview terrace in arklow, thinking of moving from dublin city centre down to arklow and seen a property that is within my price range and suits my family, i dont drive so the train station in the town is always good, but what are the shops like is their a good variety, what are the schools like, the people, and is there good and bad places to live i know there is good and bad everywhere and life is what you make of it but just want to know what your thoughts are on arklow to move or not to move :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

edellc wrote: »
    Hi there,
    just wondering if any of the local could tell me about rockview terrace in arklow, thinking of moving from dublin city centre down to arklow and seen a property that is within my price range and suits my family, i dont drive so the train station in the town is always good, but what are the shops like is their a good variety, what are the schools like, the people, and is there good and bad places to live i know there is good and bad everywhere and life is what you make of it but just want to know what your thoughts are on arklow to move or not to move :)

Hi there,
    Moved to Arklow about 5 Yrs ago and really enjoy it, people generally friendly, the shopping variety and amenities,schools are pretty good. Like every where there is good and bad places, but on balance pretty good overall. The Train service isn't great only 2 in the morning but the bus service is better but I would suggest learning to drive especially if commuting regularly to Dublin. PM me if anymore questions Gmol

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

Hi edellc,
    Rockview is an old part of Arklow close to the harbour on the south side of the river. It is two facing rows of terraced houses with no front gardens and is, to the best of my knowledge, a very quiet part of town. It`s about 10 mins walk from railway, about 3-4 mins. to nearest shop in lr. main street and a 5-10 min walk to the new shopping center. It was prone in the past to flooding and whether this is still the case- I`m not sure.
    Not to put you off further but I wallpapered one of the houses 15 years ago(most have been refurbished) and had difficulty in pattern matching with the bulging walls which I think were made of clay. But the up side is that you could still get a good deal now on a house in Arklow with the market the way it is. The Schools are quiet good and at Secondary level you have an all girls , a mixed boy/girl and an all boys. The people in general are quiet friendly and I am not aware of any Dub begrudgery and there is a broad range of activities with sports clubs, historical/photography etc. all the things you`d expect. So, by all means, look at Rockview Terrace(i`m sure you`ll look a lot closer now) and look elsewhere in the town as well. If you need more info I`m here for you as is Gmol and should you decide to move, may I be the first to welcome you. Cheers.

Advertisement